Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 AM

809 posts, read 1,949,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonewton View Post
Thank you all the replies. Your inputs are greatly appreciated

To clarify my situation, I will be living/working in the CANTON/Livonia area. A bit away from Detroit, but not too far.

Piece-a-cake

Now, unless you are living in northern, "buckle of the snowbelt" areas and driving alone on remote rural roads that are at any time drifted you will be just fine.

(we are a 2-jeep family just because we used to live in a very difficult area during winters)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 10:38 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,932,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonewton View Post
Thank you all the replies. Your inputs are greatly appreciated

To clarify my situation, I will be living/working in the CANTON/Livonia area. A bit away from Detroit, but not too far.

I really don't want to trade in my cars unless I have to. So after reading this post, I think this is my solution.

1. Get snow tires for both cars and put them on during the winter. By which month should I already have them on? I heard the winter is 8 months long? geezzz... Why am I leaving Miami?

2. Put sand bags in the trunks of both cars. Exactly how many bags? One or two? four?

3. Anything special I must do to my car? I got a new battery, that's about it. I'm planning on changing the fluids and adding antifreeze to the car. Can't think of much more.

Yep, i'm clueless with Michigan and its snow. But i'm looking forward to living there tho.

Thank you.
Your cars will be just fine. One or 2 sand bags are great, and you may use them on your drive way for Ice... Most people just drive too fast that come up from the South, in winter on snow , but its the ice that gets them....Slow down when conditions are bad and you will be fine. I recommend snow tires anywhere there is ice and snow. All weather tires are worse than" street tires " , they do not put down a good foot print and are not siped. Its the siping that saves you on ice....helps you stop , that's important, you will find out soon enough. And yes,they are mostly for Ice in your area, but ARE a safety factor. You may have a hard time finding them around Detroit., keep looking. You don't absolutely need them , but I think you should get them, not being from the area. Enjoy the weather, it changes all the time, that's whats nice about Michigan.....however you will be right at home with the summer humidity the SE MI. area gets....I can't stand it , but , that's one of the reasons I left Florida so long ago....

Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,930,607 times
MIAMI??

Boy, are you going to have fun during the winter.

I had a co-worker years ago who was born in Miami but relocated to the Detroit area for college followed by employment. He wore a down vest all year long while in Michigan.

Our oldest son attended "The U" for their Music Engineering program and absolutely loved Miami, especially South Beach. We were back there last June for his wedding which was held on a yacht in Miami harbor. Gorgeous!

Remember how your glasses will fog over with condensation when stepping outdoors in the Miami summer weather? They will do the same thing here, except it happens when you step indoors during the winter.

BTW - this same son drove a small SUV with rear wheel drive only, shod with wide performance tires, and never really had any problems with our winter roads when he drove back North each Christmas for the Holidays.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,050 times
I've not seen it yet... So... I'll be the first I think!

Sell 'em both. You're moving to Detroit, buy a Ford!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 PM

272 posts, read 723,936 times
You'll be perfectly fine. I live in Livonia. I have a Dodge Magnum rear wheel drive. No problems ever. Before four wheel drives, people lived for decades with 2 wheel drive with no issues. Don't worry. Besides, we really don't get as much snow as some folks think we do. And when we do, it's cleared fairly quickly. Now, potholes......there's the REAL issue.....lol.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:47 PM

Yeah, no lo-profile tires if you plan to go to a less-than-perfect area, you won't have much rim left.

Lexington has the same problem though, as does Chicago.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:53 PM

9,395 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Michigan is pretty flat.

People drove for decades without 4WD or FWD. Good snow tires will do you just fine.
And perhaps undercoating, if they salt like they used to.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,406 times
The best thing you can do, once it snows, is get out to a snow covered open space (empty parking lot) and PRACTICE. You need to practice stopping, turning, and learn how to do donuts - this is the best way to learn how to handle the car once you encounter a slippery spot on the road. Ever see the animated movie Cars? Just like what was in the movie, sometimes you have to turn the wheel the opposite direction to keep on track.

You'll be fine, just get practice. I almost always had rear wheel drive vehicles in MI, and my father still does. Throw 2-3 sand bags in the back so you have some weight on the axle, and use your brain when you drive. You'll be fine.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:05 PM

29 posts, read 243,433 times
Yep, leaving Miami to anywhere is painful. I love the sun and the hot weather But i'm very much looking forward to going to Michigan. I'm a very outdoor person, and it seems like there is a lot to do up there.

Can't really trade in my car for a FORD yet but I do notice the trend when i visited over the weekend.

I guess the best thing to do then is for me to look for snow tires and have them ready for the winter.

Some friends recommended putting chain on my tires? isn't that illegal now?

Thanks..!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM

On that note, Michigan, from my experience, always does a great job of keeping the roads clean. Ohio, on the other hand... Lord no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan