Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:41 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,904,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Them things look like ferin cars. That cannot be right. No Michigander would defile their homeland with ferin cars and then advertise i8t. Maybe they are just Chryslers that look ferin
"Ferin"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 06:34 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,907,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
That's funny. the last house I lived in had a drain built in an oversize shed (used to be a 1 car garage... the concrete pad was in the shed.

We wanted to tear down the shed and build a 2 car garage using the concrete pad as part of the new garage floor.

We were not allowed building permits because of the drains in the floor.
I guess the sewer lines run right through that area and we would be required to dig up and move the sewer lines in order to build our garage there. Some thousands of dollars in prep.

Also I was told they are sticklers about this because they are afraid that people will pour chemicals/waste from car engine down the drain. So no go on the permits for new garage.

That is why we moved to a new house with garage already built.
Many of the older builds used a "sand drain or a dry drain". the floor drain went no where , just to a layer of sand under the slab, which quickly plugged up and made the drain worth less.
As long as you promise the inspector that the drain is for washing the car or winter snow melt , they will OK it. I just ran the discharge pipe out into the woods, no problem.....And , if you could not convince the County on this , you could have just plugged up the drain totally, or put in a sump pump , just like in a basement.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:19 AM

809 posts, read 1,946,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its also the soft rubber compound. As the temps drop the rubber stays soft. There is always a trade off, the tires don't last long if you use them hard in nice weather and on hard surface. I do the take off in summer game the first season with new winter tires, then the second year leave them on untill they wear down. I use Cooper Discovery M &S winter tires on my Toyota FJ. I like them better than the Blizzaks, and they are cheaper w/ better snow traction.
Yes, it's also the softer compound along with the siping. I had the argument with a tire dealer one day who wanted to sipe my buddy's truck tires and I told him to forget it as it will effectively shorten the tire tread life and potentially induce an uneven tread wear pattern. We did have a lively little disagreement. I told my buddy to choose getting another pair in two years and get stuck in the mud (to which he would call me for the tug) because the tires were not "mud and snow" configuration OR get the M&S treads and learn how to drive in the winter unless he wanted to but a separate pair dedicated to the winter (and sipe the crap out of them). My friend still doesnt drive in the snow very well.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:47 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,907,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
Yes, it's also the softer compound along with the siping. I had the argument with a tire dealer one day who wanted to sipe my buddy's truck tires and I told him to forget it as it will effectively shorten the tire tread life and potentially induce an uneven tread wear pattern. We did have a lively little disagreement. I told my buddy to choose getting another pair in two years and get stuck in the mud (to which he would call me for the tug) because the tires were not "mud and snow" configuration OR get the M&S treads and learn how to drive in the winter unless he wanted to but a separate pair dedicated to the winter (and sipe the crap out of them). My friend still doesnt drive in the snow very well.
The other problem with siping is sometimes it weakens the tread construction. I have seen small chunks break out when running over a sharp rocks when you have too much siping . This is more common with commercial equipment.Michlein has this problem.... I broke down and purchased a set of Finnish Nokians for my John Deere...what a great winter tire ! The Finns make the best winter tires for all vehicles...but they are pricey !

I once came into Yellowstone Park from the east Portal,during a freak summer snowstorm, they were only letting vehicles come in that had M & S on the sidewall, really pissed off a few guys in high powered sports cars, who had to wait out the weather along side the road.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:46 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,172,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonewton View Post
So, I'm moving to Michigan with my wife. Neither one of us have ever driven or lived in the snow before. I have a 4Runner with rear wheel drive. She has a lexus IS250 with 2WD. ARE WE IN TROUBLE??? We went apt hunting last week, and the people we meet pretty much scared the crap out of us. They talked about how we wont have a chance with 2WD in the Michigan winter.

Is this true?
Can't I just get snow tires?
Do I really have to trade in my car and get something with 4WD?
Does everyone have 4WD up there?
We will be in Michigan for 4 yrs per our contract...

Thank you!
The "people you meet" were indulging in the Michigan sport of Pulling the Chain of Southerners...inflating their cautious fears to a high level , then sitting back and watching the fun. You've rewarded them.

Kinda like folks in the South telling immigrant Northerners to watch out for albino banjo-pickers on the front porch of shacks
De De De DING DING......

As others have said, get some decent snows on all four tires, install in November some time or when they're on sale and take em off in April (they're noisy and will last longer that way).
In a front wheel drive car you don't really need to do anything else, but in rear wheel drive buy a few bags of water softener salt or kitty litter and put them in the trunk over the tires, NOT in the center of the trunk. Some people also like rear weight in their front wheel drive cars, but I've never found that to be worth the trouble.
Travel in Michigan...come up North...visit, explore and enjoy. It's a wonderful state.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:43 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,094,461 times
It's likely because they drive foreign :P

Maybe they meant "you won't stand a chance here with those ricebuckets" :P

Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonewton View Post
Thank you all the replies. Your inputs are greatly appreciated

To clarify my situation, I will be living/working in the CANTON/Livonia area. A bit away from Detroit, but not too far.

I really don't want to trade in my cars unless I have to. So after reading this post, I think this is my solution.

1. Get snow tires for both cars and put them on during the winter. By which month should I already have them on? I heard the winter is 8 months long? geezzz... Why am I leaving Miami?

2. Put sand bags in the trunks of both cars. Exactly how many bags? One or two? four?

3. Anything special I must do to my car? I got a new battery, that's about it. I'm planning on changing the fluids and adding antifreeze to the car. Can't think of much more.

Yep, i'm clueless with Michigan and its snow. But i'm looking forward to living there tho.

Thank you.
winter there is maybe 1-2 months. best snow driving advice. the less you have to come to a complete stop the better. if you are moving you will not have a problem. dont try to drive too fast on slippery surfaces. bad weather, give yourself more room and coast to lights.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:40 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,442,278 times
instead of trading in a vehicle just find a old jeep and use it on bad snow days. the biggest problem is the crazies on the roads in bad weather. the nice thing is when it is really bad snow wise out the less on the road then those with jeeps can have some fun without worring that a car will be in our way.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 PM

265 posts, read 799,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
dont try to drive too fast on slippery surfaces. bad weather, give yourself more room and coast to lights.
A lot of people around here really drive too slow, especially minivan's and big trucks/suv's with crappy tires. It's fun to blast by them in my 2WD FWD foreign car leaving them behind in a cloud of snow.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:01 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,094,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf67 View Post
A lot of people around here really drive too slow, especially minivan's and big trucks/suv's with crappy tires. It's fun to blast by them in my 2WD FWD foreign car leaving them behind in a cloud of snow.
Foreign doesn't make you faster or safer in snow. One of these days you'll be buried on a snowy day if you're not careful.

Also, you live in the auto capital of America, buy American. Have you no pride?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan