Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:34 AM

810 posts, read 3,295,002 times

Advertisements

If you want to stay cool during the summers and have some snow, look anywhere between St Joseph to Ludington along the shore line. My folks live in Holland and it's usually cooler and not as humid compared to Grand Rapids on the same day. The more inland you go (Grand Rapids, Greenville, Cadillac, etc) you will experience more lake effect snow and more humidity than along the lakeshore. Alos, the more north you go, the more snow it gets. You can count on snow on the ground in Cadillac MI when there's no snow in GR.

I like Holland...lived there for 5 years. pretty easy to get around, friendly people, and easy access to GR and Chicago. We relocated to Ada, MI mainly for schools and my job. We visit my folks in Holland just about every other weekend, they live on the water!

Another place I like is Pentwater...my in-laws has a place there. It's busy on weekends between Memorial Day to Labor Day. After that, it's quiet for the next 9 months. Short 20 min drive to Ludington for main shopping (Home Depot, Super Wal-Mart, etc).

St Joseph, South Haven, Grand Haven, White Hall are all neat places. I have never lived there, just ate and shop. You will need to investigate yourself and find out what's the best fit for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 04:33 PM

63 posts, read 279,245 times
mich2fla, Thanks for that info.! It sounds like we misunderstood those weather patterns.

In July we went to Crystal Lake, which I think is near Pentwater.....the place was a mad-house. Busy! It looked like a good place for family vacations.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:21 AM

Generally, any places up north with a lake in Michigan will be busy during weekends and holidays in the summer. Then it'll quiet down till hunting season. Then busy again during snowmobiling season especially near snowmoble trails.

Some places are pretty busy year round like Traverse City and Cadillac. Pentwater is only busy during the summer.

If you go vacationing up north in a few weeks (after Labor Day), you'll see how much quiet it is.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:28 AM

622 posts, read 2,703,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
If you go vacationing up north in a few weeks (after Labor Day), you'll see how much quiet it is.
yeah, but there is always a boom again for the fall color tours (October), dont forget that.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:17 AM

35 posts, read 223,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomterriffic View Post
Why not look at Oscoda? It's not far from East Tawas and sits right on beautiful Lake Huron...the Sunrise side. Small town with an arts festival every year on the beach.

Oscoda is about an hour or less from Alpena, too. There is some shopping up that way and the drive up there is very scenic. If you like to canoe, Oscoda has some very nice canoeing. Hunting, fishing, fall colors...it's got all of that.
I am originally from Alpena. Beautiful country up there but oh so cold and snowy in the wintertime. I miss the beautiful scenery and the trees and greenery of Michigan though. I have moved out to sunny Calif. but it is too dry and hot for me. I guess I can't be pleased. lol Wish I could find a nice compromise somewhere.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:29 PM

Tweety, could you describe those Alpena winters? For example: when did the weather start to get really cold?/ How much snow usually fell?/How limiting was the weather in terms or affecting your normal routine?/ Etc........

Old 08-26-2006, 09:57 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,726,480 times
Higgins Lake is nice and may offer what you are looking for. My mom lives there...

Old 08-27-2006, 07:41 AM

Hey RedWingsFan, I couldn't find Higgins Lake on the city-data listing....the closest thing was a Hubbard Lake that was sort of south of Alpena.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanne View Post
Hey RedWingsFan, I couldn't find Higgins Lake on the city-data listing....the closest thing was a Hubbard Lake that was sort of south of Alpena.

It's near Roscommon MI. Beautiful area. Pretty busy year round (boaters in the summer, hunters in the fall, snowmobiliers in the winter, and fishing year round). Lots of Detroit area folks with 2nd homes in the area. Weekend traffic on I-127 and I-75 will be busy.

It depends on your needs/wants.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,087 times
Default hot, humid southern Ohio summers

We're not sure how far north we can handle the weather. We totally love the UP and we're pretty hardy types, but we've never seen a Houghton or Marquette winter. We are sure of one thing: we're getting out of this hot, humid southern Ohio summers that we HATE.
Thanks[/quote]

Is that eastern or western Ohio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan