Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:35 PM

34 posts, read 95,137 times

Advertisements

If there is no work and everyone is leaving, why is I-94 between Detroit and Port Huron a parking lot everyday? Is everyone driving to the unemployment office or maybe going to get their u-haul truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 08:45 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,440,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi65 View Post
If there is no work and everyone is leaving, why is I-94 between Detroit and Port Huron a parking lot everyday? Is everyone driving to the unemployment office or maybe going to get their u-haul truck.
That's a great point. I-75 and Woodward Ave are pretty bad also. Somerset was packed last weekend with most people actually holding shopping bags. Starbucks locations have long lines where ever I go. So where are people getting gas, shopping, and coffee money from?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 19,552 times
well boys it takes time for the 3 million people to get out, and then there will always be the few ostrichs that stay behind to keep the sand nailed down.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:17 PM

106 posts, read 322,259 times
JenM,
This blog is to help those who acknowledge the greed, lack of economic growth, lack of jobs not only here in Michigan, but in all northern states. I grew up in Cleveland, OH. and moved here to marry my wife. I see the same economic hell in my home city, and the people of Cleveland has always given till they have no more. My neighborhood was ethnic, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Serbian and others who lived moderate lives, but made the area a place where it was safe, neighborly, and a beautiful place to live, raise children, and retire. Because of the economics it is run down by having individuals who care not about anything. Unfortunately it is not just race related, but the trash of both white and black. I lived in Cleveland Hts., and Mayfield Hts. where there was even more diversity than my original neighborhood and loved it there. I have no predjudice against any race, but I do acknowledge, and loathe the trash in all. I know this seems like I am off track with this, but give me a minute. If you think by sitting and waiting it out in Michigan is the answer, look at my old neighborhood, look at many of the neighborhoods in other areas of Michigan that were great places to live, but if you had a brain, or children you would not live there. Do you remember the beauty of Pontiac a good 20 years ago, 30 years ago, well when you drive down most of its streets, its a picture of the streets of Detroit.

Unfortunately, the people allowed this to happen, they did it to themselves. To sit and wait for the greedy politicians in Michigan to have a change of heart is foolish. I believe in supporting the state, county, and city you live in when they look out for you as stated in the Constitution; Governed by the people for the people. In Michigan, it's governed by the rich for the rich. A fine example is why I am going to Toledo, OH for my dental work. Here in Michigan partial dental plates start at $1300, and the initial visit and one x-ray costs $80+. I had 15 X-rays, 13 teeth filled, and a partial plate at the cost of $1200.00 out the door. The dental office also supplied three forms of payment plans that are interest free. Tell me one place here in Michigan that offers all that. Ohio might have its down falls, but it does do more for its people. My wife has told everyone that I am disabled, and getting a loan or credit card is harder than if I were to get pregnant. We have never been late on our house payment or any of our other bills, but we had to put 30% down on the house in Missouri.

This is why I am writing to you and others who may bash those of us who are not blinded by ignorance, or plain stupidity. Life will alway bring hardships, but how you handle them shows your responsibility to yourself, family, and those around you. We are leaving Michigan because after November I lose my wage loss and replacement service payments (which equal $1600 mo.), and once we do we cannot afford our mortgage and taxes here in Southgate, MI. When Kim and I worked, we made $6500 to $7000 a month to live on, and that has been reduced to $3100 a mo. since our accident. A big cut for a family of 6 with no chance for adding income. We are not dying because of the original cut in income because I am intelligent and constantly monitor our spending in all ways. Let me ask you how much have you spent on Gas for your home per month in the winter. Everyone I know, no matter what city or county is near or above $300 a month. Our monthly bill has been no higher than $179 a month in the coldest time of winter, and the bill includes our electricity as well. I know many ways to conserve money, but if we have to conserve like that just to live, I will not do it for me, my wife, or my kids because it will drive us all nuts constantly worrying about every cent we spend because we need to be loyal to the state of Michigan who sold us out.

I hope I did not insult anyone, but I think those of us who have come to the choice of leaving to better ourselves, than sit and think that things will change because of entitlement, are making decisions based on reality not fantasy. The one individual who said, he has been here a year and a half, and says the realty business is on the up and up has no clue. I was a truck driver, and I drove through all of Michigan the 7 years I lived here, and can tell you the growths and drops in this state. If you drive through Taylor, Michigan it had many wooded areas along Northline Rd. and streets between. Today the trees are all gone, and buildings in their places. All these new condo's and stores were filling like mad during the Clinton Administration, but today these places are empty, boarded up because people cannot afford the high (overly) priced homes, condo's, store fronts in this state.The days of the BIG 3 are done. They all build or outsource their businesses to other countries like Mexico. Did you know that one US dollar equals 11 dollars Mexican. Ford, GM, Chrysler all have said they pay these Mexican workers between $5 and $8 an hour, which is not even $1 US. The majority of the BIG 3's work come from Mexico, China, Taiwan, and other countries with a substantial lower value to their dollar, yet the BIG 3 cry they have no money. Who can buy their junk, when it costs as much as a house did 10 years ago. This is why Michigan will be hurt for many years, due to its loyalty to the BIG 3 that has been screwing us since their beginning. As long as Granholm, others like her in the state senate, and other offices here in Michigan continue to ignore and lie to the people they serve it will never change. If you think I am full of it, ask yourself this.

If the individuals in Michigan State, county, and you local government are looking out for its citizens, then why are they raising their income while yours is dropping? Why are they still getting benefits as healthcare, pensions, and 401's while their citizens having to give them back? If we want a raise in pay, we have to ask. Granholm, and anyone in government offices give themselves pay raises. I have always believed, and I will never waiver from it, that a Mayor, Governor, or any other high official in government should not be paid more than the average pay of their city, county, state, and US office. I do not care how much money you pay someone, greed still motivates them because it was money that made them want that position.

I told someone before about my education, and that is not what makes a man or woman. It is whats in your heart, and the morals instilled in you. These beliefs are gone for good because the driving force is money. In Southgate, MI the average wage per individual is $70,000. Kim and I came close between us, but we do not own a new car, bought our 16 year old a $50,000 Mustang, and the end up paying their gas and insurance because the kid feels they are not obligated to work for their things. That is why their mom and dad is there for, to be their checking account. Well, I was not raised that way, and neither will our kids. It was good to learn at a early age what responsibility meant, in earning money, to have nice things, paying my own way so my parents did not have to work as hard to support me, and the rest of our family. But we all feel we are entitled to everything.

Entitlement, has nothing to do with getting something free. It means we are all entitled to get off our A** get an education, get a job, treat people the way we wish to be treated, and to use the GOD given brains to think and act accordingly. Telling people I will put my kids in a car so I can live here in Michigan, knowing you can make a living for you kids the next state over, is selfish, childish, and makes me glad you were never my nurse.

I apologize for my lengthy submission, and if I insulted any of you. This includes you JenM, even though your remark was childish. To everyone moving from here I wish you all luck in finding a home that brings you the happiness you worked so hard for, just as we were blessed to find ours in Missouri.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:40 PM

I want to apologize again to anyone I offended, but to hear such childish ignorance, and pure selfishness in JenM's statement really grind's me. If I knew who she was and where she lives, I'd turn in that statement to children services and see how they would look at someone worrying where they live over, making a living somewhere for their kids. I know it was more or less a stupid comment, but that is that attitude of individuals that put us all in the dilemma we're in. JenM, you do have a right to voice your opinion here whether we like it or not, but do not question our maturity, or responsibility if you cannot say anything other than what you did to change our minds on Moving or whatever. "One more thing, making a living for your family is not petty"

JenM's Statement:
This is my home. Yes the state is in bad condition, but I love it here. I am not afraid to go down with it. Would you abandon a family member when they were down and out? I hope not, so why would you abandon your state? I am not that self absorbed that I would leave for petty reasons. If that means living in a car with my 3 kids and hubby, while we finish school, then so be it. Besides, it might be an adventure and a heck of a thesis!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:27 PM

146 posts, read 639,089 times
I feel sorry for your situation and am happy you've found your paradise down in Missouri, but you're way off the mark if you believe the positive people on this forum are the ones "blinded by ignorance and pure stupidity" or that we're "Thinking things will change because of entitlement."
The most thoughtful and level headed posts in this forum are made by those least likely to fall into those categories.
And by the way, you'd be wise to think twice the next time you address a woman with
the words "If I knew who she was and where she lived."
Instead of worrying about who you offended maybe you should worry more about who
you threatened.

Last edited by Wabbit; 06-13-2007 at 11:43 PM..

Old 06-14-2007, 06:30 AM

First off, if you would have read further this is what I said,If I knew who she was and where she lives, I'd turn in that statement to children services and see how they would look at someone worrying where they live over, making a living somewhere for their kids. I know it was more or less a stupid comment, People have to be careful on what they say because it can be taken the wrong way. Her comment was not a positive one. I did not threaten anyone. I was simply making a comment on what would child services say to someone who makes a comment on living in your car. I may not have phrased it the proper way but I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am sorry if things were taken the wrong way, my intention with EVERYTHING I said was not to hurt anyone but to voice my opinion. I am truly sorry for the comments I have made. We will not be visiting the Michigan Forum again. Good luck to all and JenM good luck to you and your family. We hope things get better in Michigan.

God Bless,
Jim

Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 AM

85 posts, read 295,757 times
there are no jobs here and anyone who says otherwise is lying just look on the front page of the detroit free press yesterday 6-13-07

the headlines Ford cut labor 30%-groceries are up people cant afford them-and michigan economy worse than predicted

yep i'm leaving too any place with low crime and jobs is for me

Old 06-14-2007, 08:43 AM

3 posts, read 20,427 times
Default no jobs correct

jim and terry, your absolutly correct that there are no jobs to be had and what few there are, there is fewer every month. Any one who is thinking of getting out now is the time to sell, I don't think it is a good time to sell but I don't think it will get any better.
Get what you can and go, I have talked to so many people like some here that were trying to say things are not that bad, and little by little the truth sinks in, and one by one they are comming around that things are not good and the outlook is bad.
I hate to see this but you have to start to fix a problem untill you admit that there is a problem.
the people here who say things are not that bad are facilatators of the problem, either you are a part of the fix or a part of the problem.
Those who say it is not bad in michigan and getting worse are a part of the problem.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:00 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,760,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Kim View Post
First off, if you would have read further this is what I said,If I knew who she was and where she lives, I'd turn in that statement to children services and see how they would look at someone worrying where they live over, making a living somewhere for their kids. I know it was more or less a stupid comment, People have to be careful on what they say because it can be taken the wrong way. Her comment was not a positive one. I did not threaten anyone. I was simply making a comment on what would child services say to someone who makes a comment on living in your car. I may not have phrased it the proper way but I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am sorry if things were taken the wrong way, my intention with EVERYTHING I said was not to hurt anyone but to voice my opinion. I am truly sorry for the comments I have made. We will not be visiting the Michigan Forum again. Good luck to all and JenM good luck to you and your family. We hope things get better in Michigan.

God Bless,
Jim
Saying "God Bless" doesn't excuse what you said to JenM. I suggest you take a break from this forum and start trying to make new friends in the Missouri forum (and take gone south, adler, etc with you)

In your opinion
, this forum is for you and others to wallow in anger and self-deprecation, and to lash out at government officials or union bosses or positive people on this forum and call them "liars" if things are going well for them personally.

Seriously, aren't you and all the other doom and gloomers being fed a steady diet of negativity and Apocalypto from the Detroit News, Free Press and every other news organization in Michigan? Why do you seek a bigger table here to feed off of? It sort of reminds me of those people you see in mental institutions who can't stop scratching a spot until it's bloody and gangrene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan