Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:10 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,896,967 times

Advertisements

I was just on the Traverse City Record Eagle website and looking under the jobs section. There were well over 100 ads for jobs....most pretty recent. Of course some are min. wage and some are for Avon, but I seen a ton of ads that looked to be some pretty good opportunities. They were all over northern MI...not just TC area. If any one up that way is looking...check it out!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 AM

13 posts, read 29,976 times
Why get a minimum wage job when someone can continue to get unemployment and work at a part time cash job? The jobs are out there... the motivation is not.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmichiganman View Post
Why get a minimum wage job when someone can continue to get unemployment and work at a part time cash job? The jobs are out there... the motivation is not.
Your exactly right. I heard an amazing story on my mid MI. radio station last week. I cant remember much of the details, but a company from out west is expanding into MI. and they were holding a jobs fair so they could hire 45 people. These were very good paying jobs, but I cant remember what they were. Anyways, the guy called the station saying nobody showed up for the jobs fair, so he was telling the show host they needed these people right away. The host told the guy to post the jobs on the shows website, but I dont know if he has yet.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:07 PM

272 posts, read 723,936 times
Quote:

Show me. I've been unemployed for almost a year now. I've applied for minimum wage jobs, and never get called. Why? Because most people know somebody with my experience isn't going to stick around when the first better opportunity shows up. Therefore, they don't want to waste their time with training etc.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,475 times
Quote:
I highly disagree with your qoute on the motivation not beign there, the question is not whether there are "any" jobs open right now, the reality is, these jobs fail to support even a single person.

This argument of "motivation" holds no weight in a state that has a 15% unemployment rate. The jobs that are open currently are those that can't even support a teenagers gas money or car insurance. Ever have a interview for one of these jobs? Employers expect you to be available any time of the day, any time of the week, for minimum wage. In short, its impossible to live.

If you found yourself in a similar position, I'm sure you'd rather take the ACH payment into your checking account as well.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:28 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,000,902 times
This is laughable. I went there and there were 112 ads. The whole first page was almost taken up by Avon. Look at the locations. Some are in Marquette, Mt Pleasant, Cadillac, and even Bowling Green Ohio. Keep dreaming. When you have to live in Northern Michigan and find a job there, you're little positive attitude won't be so positive.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,075,923 times
I agree, Scolls. We had to move away from N. MI last April, because the job situation was so dismal. We went to CA for a few months (I have family there, and I'm from there, my husband is from MI) to see if we could find jobs, and...nada. Zip. I remember the first week I was there (in CA), and I read that unemployment in that area was 17%, and that was a year ago- resume out all over the place, and I received a reply...6 months later, unbelievable. We moved to Omaha, where unemployment - thankfully - is only 5% now, with only the Dakotas being lower (I'm thinking that's because there is nobody IN the Dakotas, haha).

I miss N. MI. so much...in another thread on here, someone was saying how they had never felt like anywhere was really "home" to them, and I had always felt that way as well- but our time in N. MI., in spite of the fact that it was the coldest, snowiest (over 200 inches) winter there in 10 years, I know that someday, I want to go back there- because it was so beautiful, the people were so friendly, and I've never felt more at "home" in my life.

Sigh.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 AM

Im sorry, but if I were unemployed for over a year, I would take a job for $10 and have no doubt I would work my way up quick. Every job I have ever had has been that way, where I worked my butt off and moved my way up quick. If I did not see an opportunity to move up...I moved on. Maybe its just me...I am no-one special, but I just made sure the "higher-ups" recognized me, I was well liked..and it just happened. I am on my own now, maybe its different these days, but I still think its very possible...if you WANT it bad enough. Unemployment will run out...so you have to do something now!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:20 AM

258 posts, read 999,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Im sorry, but if I were unemployed for over a year, I would take a job for $10 and have no doubt I would work my way up quick. Every job I have ever had has been that way, where I worked my butt off and moved my way up quick. If I did not see an opportunity to move up...I moved on. Maybe its just me...I am no-one special, but I just made sure the "higher-ups" recognized me, I was well liked..and it just happened. I am on my own now, maybe its different these days, but I still think its very possible...if you WANT it bad enough. Unemployment will run out...so you have to do something now!
I agree, "Moldman". I guess it's just a different mindset, but if I 'really' needed a job but could only get a part time, minimum wage, I guess I'd work two jobs or whatever it took. Dipping from the public trough just doesn't cut it for me. The idea that it's better to 'not' work than to work for less surely must do something to self esteem. Getting up and going out the door to be productive changes one's whole demeanor. And demeanor and attitude goes a long way.

I'm the one who posted last year that I moved to Alcona County (possibly the highest unemployment in the state at that time), networked and found out that a young Veterinarian had just purchased a clinic in Alpena, contacted her to see if, possibly, they were hiring. Bingo, I got a good job! I"m probably also "over qualified" with a BS in Animal Science from MSU, owner of my own promotion/creative business for several years, highly regarded for my work in the livestock industry all over the country. So what. I asked and I got a job that paid me far less than I was "used to".

And the topper? I was 65 when I was hired! Get up/get out/go to work!!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 AM

272 posts, read 723,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post

You seem to live in a fairytale land. It's just sooo easy to go out and get any job, anyplace for any wage. There are those of us who know better, and actually deal with it. Lets see, I've applied to Lowes, Home Depot, janitorial services, Toys R Us, Kmart, Sears, Security guard positions.....and never hear from them. And as I said previously..why don't I hear? They all know I'm there for short term. The first job that comes around that I qualify for that pays better, I'm gone. And, they will than have to hire somebody else, train and so on. So it's not as easy as you seem to imagine it is. And with me having 5 kids under 18, trust me, I've been looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan