Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:16 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times

Advertisements

Some friends of ours are considering buying a second property there, and I told them I would ask here on C-D since I know nothing about the area. They are in their mid-50s and are looking for a quiet, peaceful, clean lake to spend weekends at. They are not partiers at all, they don't even touch alcohol. For some reason, it seems like I have read/heard some negative things about Houghton Lake, either here or elsewhere, so is anyone here very familiar with that lake and the surrounding towns, and if so, what can you tell me about it? Is it clean and peaceful? What is Bud Bash and Tip Up Town exactly, and does it get rowdy? Would they be better off finding a place at a smaller lake with fewer events going on?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 04:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Better off on a smaller lake IMHO. Scolls will be on here shortly telling of the horrors that await anybody venturing onto Houghton Lake, but it is only about 1/2 as bad as he will make it out to be. Which is still enough if they are looking for a quiet lake to putter around in a boat and relax, to take pass on the lake and look for something else that is less crowded.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,285 times
Houghton Lake is definitely big on partying. I'd look elsewhere. There are so many lakes, it's unbelievable. I think neighboring Higgins Lake is a little more relaxed, but there are many more peaceful, smaller lakes to choose from.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:24 PM

16 posts, read 80,864 times
This is the place my family and I are relocating to! We aren't big on partying either. The North shore is relatively more quiet than many of the other locations, fewer areas for 'weekend warriors' to come to party.

Tip Up Town is basically Houghton Lake's 'winter fest'. Here's a link to check it out...: » Tip-Up Town USA, January 22-24 & 29-31: Houghton Lake » Absolute Michigan

Houghton Lake is a place that should be experienced before a decision is made. If they are looking for a place on the water, I would recommend starting on the North shore. If not, Prudenville is a decent place as well, not on the water, but everything is close.

There may be those that say avoid HL and look somewhere else, maybe they had bad experiences there or just heard stories from people that had bad experiences. My suggestion is to go there, ask some locals about the area...that's exactly what I did and it didn't scare me away! I have vacationed there for many years at different places around the lake and I can't wait to get there for good!

Goin'North---

Old 06-04-2010, 05:39 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Better off on a smaller lake IMHO. Scolls will be on here shortly telling of the horrors that await anybody venturing onto Houghton Lake, but it is only about 1/2 as bad as he will make it out to be. Which is still enough if they are looking for a quiet lake to putter around in a boat and relax, to take pass on the lake and look for something else that is less crowded.

Yup, don't listen to the one person on this forum who worked in Houghton Lake and lived near there.

Bud Bash is a party they have in August organized by the local bars. Basically, it's a party in the water. The locals hate it. I went to it once and there were condoms floating in the water, beer cans, garbage, etc. I enjoyed Bud Bash but I doubt 50 year olds would. They also give out beads like in New Orleans.

Tip up town is a winter snowmobile festival that has gotten worse over the years. The beer tent is gone, they have a little carnival and parade which is cute.

The town is really a dump. The hotels and resorts have all closed and are vacant. The houses on the water are cabins and basically shacks. Carters and Wendy's closed next to Kmart. It's an extremely poor area. Roscommon county had the second highest percentage of kids living in poverty. Houghton Lake schools are bad. Just drive around the town and look at all the closed and vacant buildings.

Houghton Lake is a joke. All it is is M-55. There isn't a downtown. It's a 10 mile stretch of 55. No one even knows where Houghton Lake ends and Prudenville begins.

You know what, don't take advice from me. I only lived there. Take advice from some weekend warrior who sees a large body of water and thinks it's wonderful. I lived there. I can tell you what day to day life is like in Houghton Lake. It isn't that great but let bydand tell you how it is. He's never lived there.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:48 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
If you are looking for a quiet lake, then Houghton lake is not for you. There are alot of obnoxious drunks out there, lots of partying. I think there are alot of nicer lake areas in Michigan I would check out first. Of the larger lakes I would consider Mullet Lake, Black Lake, Hubbard Lake, and Cadilac is a nice Lake town. There are countless small lakes in this state that would offer the quiet you look for. There are lots of good deals out there right now in most areas.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:55 PM

Ok Houghton Lake is not a party lake. Twice a year does not constitute a party lake. Houghton Lake is a large lake. Largest inland lake in Michigan. You'll hardly notice any partying. The town shuts down at night.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:48 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Yup, don't listen to the one person on this forum who worked in Houghton Lake and lived near there.
If you read my post bonehead you would see I said I thought it wouldn't be the best place for them.

Quote:
You know what, don't take advice from me. I only lived there. Take advice from some weekend warrior who sees a large body of water and thinks it's wonderful. I lived there. I can tell you what day to day life is like in Houghton Lake. It isn't that great but let bydand tell you how it is. He's never lived there.
Wow, now you know my life history and all the places I've lived. LOL what a putz you look like most times.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If you read my post bonehead you would see I said I thought it wouldn't be the best place for them.

Wow, now you know my life history and all the places I've lived. LOL what a putz you look like most times.
So if it's only half as bad then you are in the know. Go ahead, enlighten us about Houghton Lake since it's only half as bad.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:01 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
About six times a summer we go to Houghton Lake to have pizza. Buccillis Pizza is wonderful.

Then we go to a near by dirt track at Merritt to watch the car races.

We have always have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan