Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 16,059 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking for a new vacation spot this year. We had reservations in Orange Beach, AL where we usually go but the oil spill has squelched that plan. We have four kids - ages 14, 11, 8,and 6. We had booked a 2 room condo in the Gulf and would either need something comparable or would need to get 2 rooms at a nice hotel (minimum of Holiday Inn or Marriott.) I have googled my brains out but can't find what I consider to be detailed info though my husband did find the beachtowns website and I kind of thought Muskegon sounded nice. The hotels don't say anything about the "beach" though and I wondered if there was anything "on" the water with beach access. Also, how is swimming there? I went to Wisconsin every summer as a child and I remember some areas as being off limits to swimmers as they only used them for windsurfing or boating. I don't want to get into that. Our main attraction on vacation is being in the water and playing in the sand. I did see a link for Michigan Adventure though and thought that might make a nice day trip for one of the days (we are thinking to stay five or six days?) I know it won't be the same as being in the Gulf but I am trying to find something with some similarity for my family. Can you give me some details and ideas? I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read the thread and provide helpful information! (We are from Tennessee but are staying in St Louis this summer and will be driving up from there if that info helps)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Yeah, Muskegon isn't much of a "beach" town. You would be better off at any one of the smaller towns along Lake Michigan if you are looking at the west side of the State.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:25 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_redhead View Post
My family and I are looking for a new vacation spot this year. We had reservations in Orange Beach, AL where we usually go but the oil spill has squelched that plan. We have four kids - ages 14, 11, 8,and 6. We had booked a 2 room condo in the Gulf and would either need something comparable or would need to get 2 rooms at a nice hotel (minimum of Holiday Inn or Marriott.) I have googled my brains out but can't find what I consider to be detailed info though my husband did find the beachtowns website and I kind of thought Muskegon sounded nice. The hotels don't say anything about the "beach" though and I wondered if there was anything "on" the water with beach access. Also, how is swimming there? I went to Wisconsin every summer as a child and I remember some areas as being off limits to swimmers as they only used them for windsurfing or boating. I don't want to get into that. Our main attraction on vacation is being in the water and playing in the sand. I did see a link for Michigan Adventure though and thought that might make a nice day trip for one of the days (we are thinking to stay five or six days?) I know it won't be the same as being in the Gulf but I am trying to find something with some similarity for my family. Can you give me some details and ideas? I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read the thread and provide helpful information! (We are from Tennessee but are staying in St Louis this summer and will be driving up from there if that info helps)
Well, let me throw in my two cents. We live in St. Louis and we have vacationed in both Orange Beach and South Haven Michigan. We really like both. I will plug South Haven a little bit. Since you are in St. Louis, it is a small quaint town, picture Webster or Kirkwood, with a big beautiful great lake on it. It has really nice sandy beaches, although not quite as nice as the gulf. The water is cold, but you can still get in and splash around. My kids actually swim in it and I do once or twice in a week. Lots of nice little places to eat and shop. And it is about a 7 hour trip from St. Louis in the car. Not too bad. And you can usually have the windows open in July or August (if you are used to St. Louis heat) and there is almost always I real nice breeze off of the lake. Can't quite figure out the black squirrels though.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:25 PM

So where do you stay in South Haven? And, not necessarily to you but to anyone who knows, are there waterfront hotels/resorts or are we going to end up driving everytime we go to the water? At this point I guess it doesn't matter but I don't want to book one place then get there and see that there are, in fact, places to stay on the lake.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 PM

Bydand - do you have any recommendations? I am open to all suggestions! LOL

Old 06-06-2010, 11:34 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
South Haven... You'll probably end up a block or two from the beach, but that's not so bad. The water isn't THAT cold, definitely swimmable. It's beautiful and very clean! I'd say cleaner than the gulf, but definitely not as warm!

You could also look at Lake Michigan Beach among other small beach towns.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Not trying to take anything away from Lake Michigan because I love it as much as anyone, but I might also recommend somewhere in Traverse City only because the waters in the bay may be a bit more swimmable. The beaches on Lake Michigan are awesome and beautiful, but the water can be a bit chilly. I would pick Lake Michigan beaches if I didnt have kids who would want to swim the whole time, but probably TC for the swimming. Also the TC area is absolutely beautiful, and you could always make your way over to Lake Michigan and the Sleeping Bear Dunes area in about 40 minutes and see some amazing sights! Its a tough choice, and TC would be a bit more of a drive then you want maybe.

Bayshore Resort - Traverse City's Premier Resort (http://www.bayshore-resort.com/index.asp - broken link)

Old 06-07-2010, 10:43 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
No doubt about it, the further north you go, the better, always. However , the southern areas around the lake can be quite enjoyable, so much depends on your lifestyle and your perspective. If I were traveling a great distance, just to find a great beach, you probably don't need to go further north than South Haven..... Wherever you go in Pure Michigan, you will find a surprise around every bend, its all part of the Michigan experience. Its nice to here of folks who are still coming our way from far a way places. Michigan is not just a playground for Chicago folks anymore.
If you really want to enhance your experience, take an extra day of travel and go north to upper Michigan, you will never regret the visit. The shortest route from St Louis is thru Wisconsin, and if you have the time, you can continue your travel up and over and back down the lower Michigan side, for the whole Pure Michigan experence.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:58 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_redhead View Post
So where do you stay in South Haven? And, not necessarily to you but to anyone who knows, are there waterfront hotels/resorts or are we going to end up driving everytime we go to the water? At this point I guess it doesn't matter but I don't want to book one place then get there and see that there are, in fact, places to stay on the lake.
We've always rented houses within a two block walk from a beach. Depending where you end up you can also be in walking distance from the downtown or a short car ride. Bikes would be good, too.

We've found rentals through VRBO.com.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 AM

323 posts, read 1,131,807 times
I would recommend looking up toward Torch Lake, Elk Rapids and Traverse City as a final destination, and you can stop at the smaller Lake Michigan beach towns on the way up - Grand Haven is nice, it's a lovely drive all the way up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan