U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:51 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,225,911 times

Advertisements

Can you believe an E-6 hazing soldiers within his platoon in this day and age?

Army NCO gets bad-conduct discharge for hazing - Korea - Stripes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 AM

24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
I am sorry to hear that events like this happen, but it does happen:
"CAMP RED CLOUD, South Korea A U.S. Army staff sergeant was reduced in rank to E-1 and given four months of confinement and a bad-conduct discharge after pleading guilty earlier this month to hazing new soldiers in his unit and striking another."
I remember years ago when I was in the service '68 - 90' Article 15's were posted on the Unit Bulletin Board, then years later I noticed the SSAN/SN name etc was blacked out. I wonder if soldier's are made aware of some of these incidents which occur.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:42 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,225,911 times
Something else that bothers me about this type of situation is that there had to be other NCOs that were aware of what was going on at the time and didn't report it.

I was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Ground during the sex scandal in 1996. I knew a few of the drill instructors in that training company and I never got over the fact that they didn't report the NCOs and the company commander involved.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:22 PM

3,183 posts, read 9,221,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Something else that bothers me about this type of situation is that there had to be other NCOs that were aware of what was going on at the time and didn't report it.

I was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Ground during the sex scandal in 1996. I knew a few of the drill instructors in that training company and I never got over the fact that they didn't report the NCOs and the company commander involved.
^^!!!

And the article makes it sound more like assault then hazing!

Old 06-15-2010, 04:41 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,967,085 times
Quote:

My Hubby was one of the Investigators during "Bootygate '98" -the sex scandal at the USDB. FLW. It was truly amazing how my Hubby was the 'bad guy' for during his duty and finding those that were involved with sex with inmates, sex within the facility, sex with subordinates and just plain adultery.

One NCO actually jumped out of a second floor barracks room where he was engaged in sexual activities with one of his squad members (yes, he was married and had children).

The upset within the USDB Staff and their families made a HUGE impact on the Post and it was a pure disgrace!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:46 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,823,020 times
I am not surprised. Some personnel cannot handle the responsibility that accompanies rank because it goes to their head. We've seen it before and we will continue to see it more.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:19 AM

507 posts, read 746,332 times
Quote:

Rocking the boat results in your career going down the crapper while SOS continues.
VERY few officers support discipline because it reflects on their abilty as "natural" leaders which is the tone set by the academy grads who control the services.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:45 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,678,285 times
I have never been stationed to Korea, but I met up with some of my old soldiers over the 4th of July weekend who just got back from there. They said the culture and climate there is unbelievably bad. Soldiers are out of control, and it is often with the tacit agreement of the command. My former soldier, a good guy, BEAT his soldier to discipline him.. more than once.

I couldn't belive this. WTF? (I brought this guy up to the NCO ranks.) He said he got zero respect and support because of his rank over there, so he did what he had to do to maintain control. (He's a little guy, but he's scrappy.) I absolutely under no circumstances condone this, and I let him know that, but I know the guy well enough to know that something must have been going crazy over there for him to take these measures.

Apparently, we're going to see more of this out of Korea until someone senior goes over and reinforces the rank structure and reminds soldiers who they are and where they're at.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:23 PM

24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I have never been stationed to Korea, but I met up with some of my old soldiers over the 4th of July weekend who just got back from there. They said the culture and climate there is unbelievably bad. Soldiers are out of control, and it is often with the tacit agreement of the command. My former soldier, a good guy, BEAT his soldier to discipline him.. more than once.

I couldn't belive this. WTF? (I brought this guy up to the NCO ranks.) He said he got zero respect and support because of his rank over there, so he did what he had to do to maintain control. (He's a little guy, but he's scrappy.) I absolutely under no circumstances condone this, and I let him know that, but I know the guy well enough to know that something must have been going crazy over there for him to take these measures.

Apparently, we're going to see more of this out of Korea until someone senior goes over and reinforces the rank structure and reminds soldiers who they are and where they're at.
I had two tours, 70's, 80's. TDY's also, civilian contractor over the past 20 years, and have talked to several troops I know, some who I actually babysat them in the 80's and 90's, to their embarrassment. One even calls me dad, his father passed away...

Sorry, I just do not agree to your assessment. My experiences totally different...

Rich

Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,678,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I had two tours, 70's, 80's. TDY's also, civilian contractor over the past 20 years, and have talked to several troops I know, some who I actually babysat them in the 80's and 90's, to their embarrassment. One even calls me dad, his father passed away...

Sorry, I just do not agree to your assessment. My experiences totally different...

Rich
Rich, this isn't my assessment. I am passing on hearsay. As I said, two of my friends just got back from tours there and I'm passing on what they told me. I have heard stories about Korea for the past 10 years I've been in the Army. This is the first time I've heard stories like theirs. My assessment is that if something is going on there; it's recent and it's due to bad leadership. This does happen in the military from time to time -- a unit will catch a bad behavior bug like a virus. (I think this was what happened in Abu Graib, for example.) If this is the case, there needs to be a house cleaning there to remind the soldiers there that we aren't the ROC Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues