U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 03:05 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,185,703 times

Advertisements

When I went in early May 09 the recruiter informed me that he had been absolutely flooded with people looking to join up. He had taken me to get the ASVAB done in Nov 08 and I had scored a 96, which isn't exactly common (but not unheard of).

He was trying to get me to take "heavy equipment operator" when I had made clear about 80 times that I was only really interested in Combat Medic...

I had signed all the papers and everything but an amazing computer glitch at the absolute last second ensured that I didn't enlist.. it happened after he spent the better part of an hour on the line with a MSgt. somewhere in Arizona that handled recruiting for the region (he was trying to finesse a Combat Medic Slot to open, but explained that I wouldn't receive any benefits if they had to double-slot me, whatever that means.)

To this day I don't really know if he was BSing me or not, as he was later caught sleeping with a recruit who hadn't yet left for basic training. I took that computer glitch as a sign from God, that I should wait before trying to join up again or that I should consider other options first..

Their loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 10:23 AM

9,398 posts, read 12,442,555 times
Makes ya long for the days when you could show up, say "I wanna join" and be on a bus to Fort Benning the next week eh?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 AM

867 posts, read 2,374,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post

To this day I don't really know if he was BSing me or not, as he was later caught sleeping with a recruit who hadn't yet left for basic training.

Their loss.
It happens all the time. After I had gotten to my duty station, (about 6 months or so after I had shipped out and lost contact with my recruiter) I looked up my recruiter on AKO and saw that he was a SPC. Fortunately, a little bit later on by sheer coincidence I ran into the the recruiter who had the desk right across from my recruiter. He was passing through Benning for ANCOC, I think as he was infantry. While at the Ft. Benning library, was telling me the story that pretty much right after I left my recruiter got caught doing that same thing -- sleeping with a female that was about to ship out. He got a big-ass Article 15 and it turns out the the girl never shipped out. I'm pretty sure my recruiter is nearing retirement at this point...

Old 06-25-2010, 03:21 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,185,703 times
It's just put a bad taste in my mouth for recruiters.. I'd love to believe that the majority of them aren't like that but I understand that a good number can be... questionable? A lot of people I talked to abot their military experience before I went into that office said that recruiters will often do whatever it takes to meet quotas.

No matter. I'm not in Army ROTC anymore and am now considering giving the Navy recruiter a ring.. Corpsman sounds like it would be right up my alley.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 AM

11,706 posts, read 9,768,021 times
Quote:
To this day I don't really know if he was BSing me or not ... I took that computer glitch as a sign from God, that I should wait before trying to join up again or that I should consider other options first...
He probably wasn't BSing you, JP. There is an incredible amount of bureaucratic nonsense you have to put with in the Army. Part of being a good soldier is learning how to deal with it patiently. I don't know if the computer glitch was a sign from God, but it probably was a sign that you're not ready to deal with operating in a military environment yet. If you really want to be a combat medic though, I suggest you try again. It's a good job, and one I think you can get -- you just have to be persistant and go for it.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:27 AM

11,706 posts, read 9,768,021 times
Quote:
Corpsman sounds like it would be right up my alley.
That seems like an awesome job too. Every Marine I have met has an enormous amount of respect for these guys, which is saying something -- they're sailors after all.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:03 PM

22,996 posts, read 35,211,728 times
Recruiting and Retention Numbers
(This is the latest figures I could find on the DoD website)

From: https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Re...or-fiscal-yea/

Department of Defense Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for Fiscal Year 2015 through June 2015
Press Operations
Release No: NR-316-15
Aug. 4, 2015

The Department of Defense (DoD) announced today recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for fiscal year (FY) 2015 through June 2015.

Active Component
Recruiting:*Three of the four active services met or exceeded their fiscal year-to-date (FYTD) 2015 accession goals through June 2015. The Army missed their goal by 4,696.
•*Army – 38,918 accessions, with a goal of 43,614; 89.2 percent.*
•*Navy – 25,380 accessions, with a goal of 25,380; 100.0 percent.
•*Marine Corps – 21,025 accessions, with a goal of 21,005; 100.1 percent.
•*Air Force – 17,495 accessions, with a goal of 17,480; 100.1 percent.
Retention:*The Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps exhibited strong retention numbers for the 9th month of FY 2015.
Reserve Component
Recruiting: Five of the six reserve components met or exceeded their FYTD accession goals through June 2015. The Army National Guard missed by 3,527. All six of the reserve components met or exceeded the DoD quality benchmarks.
• Army National Guard – 32,654 accessions, with a goal of 36,181; 90.3 * *percent.
• Army Reserve – 20,897 accessions, with a goal of 20,773; 100.6 percent.
• Navy Reserve – 4,042 accessions, with a goal of 4,042; 100.0 percent.
• Marine Corps Reserve – 5,995 accessions, with a goal of 5,941; 100.9 *percent.
• Air National Guard – 6,810 accessions, with a goal of 6,810; 100.0 percent.
• Air Force Reserve – 5,213 accessions, with a goal of 4,994; 104.4 percent.
Attrition:*Each of the six reserve components met their FY attrition goals. Current trends are expected to continue. (Note: This indicator lags by 1 month due to data availability).

Old 11-01-2017, 07:30 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,179,597 times
Do recruiters still receive harassment from high school faculty or college faculty in some places? I remember stories from early 2000 of educators fighting against military recruiters coming on campus and had even organized a group to actively counter recruiters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues