U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 PM

867 posts, read 2,518,703 times

Advertisements

While I was in the service (Army), I did a lot of research on the ability to live in an overseas (mainly South American) country on an Army retirement, and most of my research yielded very favorable results. This is also considering that a single servicemember with no kids can save their own income to put in an IRA in addition to their military pension. While I was an E-4 at Benning at around '03 to '06, I easily saved $800 a month.

Though I'm no longer in (ETS'ed) I did flirt with the idea constantly while in. Are there any military retirees on here who are retired overseas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 02:59 PM

24,128 posts, read 38,859,608 times
I have met two people and know another who are retired/retiring in the Philippines. All three are married to Philippine women and all three are retired Air Force.

I know two Army retirees who lived in Korea for a few years shortly after retiring. They both came back to the US for decent paying jobs...

I have discussed with my wife retiring overseas (Caribbean).

I kind of wonder of the tales one hears of some retirees...

Rich

Old 06-19-2010, 03:33 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,566,856 times
I know marines who didn't even retire, but simply just stayed in Japan when they got out.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:29 PM

299 posts, read 1,013,987 times
Default Military retirees overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Are there any military retirees on here who are retired overseas?
Alphalogica,

I am retired and have been living in the Philippines since 1989. At present I am drawing USN Ret/VA/SSA pay, however, do believe I could live on my USN Ret pay if I was single or with just a GF/wife. The cost of living here is doable on $1k mo, personally know some that live on less but I wouldn't want to do it. Still, try doing that in the USofA. With the combined above income I live really well.

If you do decide to move here there are things you will miss and you simply have to weigh the pros vs. the cons, I did and am still here. We have had many retirees move back to the USofA, only to move back or to continually write back to us that they made a big mistake... FINANCIALLY.

The biggest problem living here in the Phil is medical. We have TRICARE, but just about in name only, that is suppose to change. We VA and I fine them very good but they only treat S/C disabilities above what they can do at the Out Patient Clinic, even if you are 100%.

Not much in the way of the JOBS over here. The absolute best job, that I know of, would be working at a US Embassy. However if you are in the IT field could secure a job while in the states and work here. There are some, I hear.

If you want some specific info feel free to PM me and I will be happy to reply.

jOE
Angeles City,
Philippines

Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,194,231 times
My dad knows a retired colonel who left Vietnam and retired to Germany. Apparently he died a very happy man.

If I get back into the service (which is becoming more and more likely), I might want to retire somewhere in/around SE Asia, like Vietnam or Singapore, Thailand or thereabouts. The cost of living in most of these areas is fairly cheap, but that could easily change in another 15-20 years when I'm ready to hang it up.

Hey, the jungles of Africa are pretty damned cheap! I'm kidding.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:40 PM

3,265 posts, read 4,774,771 times
Knew many retired sailors in southern spain....I won't be a retired sailor but I will be retiring there. Cost of living is low, housing moderate, public transportation excellent, food excellent, health care better than the US "free", and weather is like so cal without the smog.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 PM

986 posts, read 1,133,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
Alphalogica,

I am retired and have been living in the Philippines since 1989. At present I am drawing USN Ret/VA/SSA pay, however, do believe I could live on my USN Ret pay if I was single or with just a GF/wife. The cost of living here is doable on $1k mo, personally know some that live on less but I wouldn't want to do it. Still, try doing that in the USofA. With the combined above income I live really well.

If you do decide to move here there are things you will miss and you simply have to weigh the pros vs. the cons, I did and am still here. We have had many retirees move back to the USofA, only to move back or to continually write back to us that they made a big mistake... FINANCIALLY.

The biggest problem living here in the Phil is medical. We have TRICARE, but just about in name only, that is suppose to change. We VA and I fine them very good but they only treat S/C disabilities above what they can do at the Out Patient Clinic, even if you are 100%.

Not much in the way of the JOBS over here. The absolute best job, that I know of, would be working at a US Embassy. However if you are in the IT field could secure a job while in the states and work here. There are some, I hear.

jOE
Angeles City,
Philippines
Hi Joe,
Just noticed your post just browsing around as a new member. My wife and I are both Fil/Ams and have lived in Sta Rosa, Laguna since 2001. I also was stationed at Clark AB in the late 60s before Martial Law.
Yeah, Tricare isn't what it's supposed to be here in the RP! Fortunately since getting my USAFR benefits 3 yrs ago, I have yet to file a claim with Tricare, but I eventually will.

Art

Old 06-17-2014, 10:17 PM

986 posts, read 1,133,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
While I was in the service (Army), I did a lot of research on the ability to live in an overseas (mainly South American) country on an Army retirement, and most of my research yielded very favorable results. This is also considering that a single service member with no kids can save their own income to put in an IRA in addition to their military pension. While I was an E-4 at Benning at around '03 to '06, I easily saved $800 a month.

Though I'm no longer in (ETS'ed) I did flirt with the idea constantly while in. Are there any military retirees on here who are retired overseas?
We retired to the Philippines in 1997 at age 49 and have been here 17 yrs now! My wife and I are both Fil/Ams and I'm retired USAFR and Civil Service.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:09 PM

307 posts, read 451,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
Alphalogica,

jOE
Angeles City,
Philippines
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Joe- This is my first time on this forum (I have been mostly on other forums) and so glad to find your post about retirement in the Philippines. I find your comments inspiring...that's why I am re-looking at the possibility of retiring there. I am retired...from Federal Civil Service...but also did 12 years active duty. I am still wandering around the U.S. deciding where to eventually settle down. I had my eye on the Philippines for years now. So far...I really haven't found a place where I would be happy....and afford to live comfortably. Problem is, my wife doesn't like hot and humid places (we're in Florida right now...and she can't stand the heat and humidity). I've been trying to convince her that there are many places in the Philippines where the weather is cooler than the Manila area. My wife and I have traveled to the Philippines many times during our assignments in Korea and Japan...and the only thing she likes there is shopping at the big malls in Manila. Perhaps I can still convince her to go there with me on a long vacation (as long as our visa would permit) and stay in one of those cooler locations...like Tagaytay, Baguio, and there is one little known place in Laguna called Luisiana...up on the plateau on the Sierra Madre...where the average temp is 72F.
I know that the medical service there is pretty good...I had my eye surgery in Manila (retinal reattachment)...and was very pleased at the job my eye surgeon did. And you can't beat the cost! When my retina got detached, I was examined by a Navy opthalmologist in Yokosuka and told me I needed to get the retina repaired ASAP! But the only retinal surgeon in the Pacific region was at Tripler in Hawaii...and he happened to be out of town. I checked at UCLA and they can do it there...for just $10K...plus the cost of r/t airfare, hotels, etc. I then contacted the daughter of a friend in Manila...who happens to be an opthalmologist....and she found me a U.S. trained and licensed retinal surgeon in Manila. The whole works including 3 days in the hospital came to $1,500. I could even have paid that out of pocket...but BlueCross paid the whole amount. So I know that medical and dental in the Philippines is very affordable...and I won't need TRICARE. Sorry to get sidetracked on this issue. Anyway....
I have visited the Philippines several times before, was even stationed there with the Army years ago...and really loved it! I was with the U.S. Army Support Detachment in Manila (on civilian uniform assignment). While stationed in the Philippines...I learned Tagalog. I am told that I have nearly native-level proficiency. I hope so. Anyway, I suppose that if one can manage to live decently with $1K/month income....I could do considerably well on $4,500/month take home pension ??
Although I am service connected veteran...and have my VA S-C I.D., I will likely take out health insurance locally. A cousin who frequently goes to the Philippines told me it is possible to get health coverage from St. Luke's for about $300/year? Is this still true? Anyway, towards the end of your post...you mentioned ..."We VA and I fine them very good but they only treat S/C disabilities above what they can do at the Out Patient Clinic, even if you are 100%." I didn't quite get this. If one is 100%...I assume that means 100% disabled veteran...wouldn't that make one service-connected? I suppose it is possible to have a 100% non-service connected disability...is what you probably meant. I see your point now. In any case, I only have 20% but definitely service-connected. I have more questions to ask but this is getting quite long already...so I'll wait until you reply. Again, thanks...and look forward to hear from you soon.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:58 AM

775 posts, read 1,562,589 times
Default Tons

There are tons of retired vets and disabled vets living overseas.
I retired two years ago and tried living in Thailand. I was stationed over there 40 years ago and was happy...

"Never go back!"
It sucked.
Big time. When we pulled out, the Russians entered. But I won't go into all that right now. "Everything changes" and the land of smiles is now the land of frowns ... and arrogance.

But your question brings up a lot more than just finance and that's what Thailand taught me.

Midlife.
Any guy 45 years or older has to face his inner work at some point. Avoiding doing so is hazardous.
There's a LOT of guys over there drinking whiskey in the middle of the hot day sun, having prostitutes scam them or worse, thrown off buildings by the REAL boyfriends of those bar girls, and generally missing any real meaning in their lives.

True, many of these guys would be living in cheap hotels or apartment buildings and drinking anyway, and over there they can afford more drama and better places to reside in... but Thailand ain't cheap no more!

And the rest of Southeast Asia isn't worth permanent residence. Well ... maybe Malaysia ... and Singapore ... but who can afford Singapore prices?? Besides, why leave our arrogance for their arrogance?

Midlife beat my hands off, ".. all or nothing" thinking."
There's a lot of ways to do it.

1.) Each person has to decide what place "might" fit him or her best. One size does not fit all.

2.) I discovered a lot of European retirees and some wise old Americans live six months in one place, and six months back in their home country. Variety really can be the spice of life.

3.) Trauma. How much trauma are you carrying? Over time, trauma like PTSD often turns into Personality Disorders (... Anti-social, Mood Disorders, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Borderline ... etc...)
Carl Jung offers sage advice for men of midlife .. and the importance of learning how to forgive the (sorry, but this is the word) .. "Divine Feminine" inside us ... or else we become like those sorry bastards in Thailand ... stuck in fantasy.
(Not all of them were... but addiction combined with stubbornness and resistance to look inside produces some deadly results. I'll post the video link below.)

It's good to choose a place or a way to work on healing ... other than drugs and booze and scheming bar girls.

4.) Health Care. You can buy international health care to augment your VA if needed.

5.) Lifestyle. Vets .. retirees who take their sense of adventure and apply it to taking Yoga and meditation classes, exploring diet changes, and exercising regularly do a LOT better than those vets who think the SOP's they got at age 20 were written in stone for the rest of their lives.

Age is a blessing... but only if we take care of ourselves.

Carl Jung - Anima Projection - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues