Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:13 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,328,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Even when the economy is bad, I think the OP is making a mistake to assume the the military has an unlimited supply of fantastic jobs and are just waiting for recruits. The military is cutting back the number of personnel it needs too. Many people can't pass the physical to even get their foot in the door.

If anything, I will bet that the noticeable change in military numbers are the ones who are already IN the military and have opted to reenlist because there aren't a lot of jobs in the civilian world.
You have hit the nail dead on. Not only have they reduced the numbers of recruits, but they are also offering retirement packages to reduce numbers even further. Some of those jobs are being filled through promotions, but many are being left vacant. My son, who qualified some time, finally recieved his promtion to MK1. He is aboard a cutter where he is in charge of his engineering crew, but also supervises DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 AM

165 posts, read 551,131 times
Actually I've seen the opposite. Many people who were going to retire from the Military are getting out. I did, my wife is and many of our friends have or are. It's really not as great as most people think.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:27 AM

867 posts, read 2,964,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
Actually I've seen the opposite. Many people who were going to retire from the Military are getting out. I did, my wife is and many of our friends have or are. It's really not as great as most people think.
I second that. Even in this economy, people will still get out.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:23 PM

46,164 posts, read 26,822,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
I second that. Even in this economy, people will still get out.
I agree to a point....however how many years were these people in prior to getting out? 10+ years is kinda foolish....but I do understand....back in 1999, I knew a guy who was at 14 years....made the E-7 list....and he got out.....

Anyway...do you think people are getting out because of how political the military has become.....becasue it is not the economy...

But the people that are getting out....MY OPINION ONLY that is the first thing on there resume....

"I WAS IN THE MILITARY"........

Old 07-08-2010, 08:27 PM

165 posts, read 551,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I agree to a point....however how many years were these people in prior to getting out? 10+ years is kinda foolish....but I do understand....back in 1999, I knew a guy who was at 14 years....made the E-7 list....and he got out.....

Anyway...do you think people are getting out because of how political the military has become.....becasue it is not the economy...

But the people that are getting out....MY OPINION ONLY that is the first thing on there resume....

"I WAS IN THE MILITARY"........
I did 10 total between Army and Air Force. My wife will be near 8 when she gets out. I've known people with 14+ years get out for one reason or another. Whether it's because they are tired of deployments, or the long hours with no real schedule or just tired of all the BS they are getting out. Personally we, my wife and I, want to own home in a small town and raise our children. Take them to Cub Scouts, watch them play sports etc. Kinda hard to have that when you have to be ready to deploy at a moments notice or when you finally get comfortable at a place you get oders to a new base. Most of the people I have seen getting out are the younger Airmen in their first enlistment but some of us that have been in for awhile are just plain tired of it all.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

A lot of the people I knew who have gotten out went contractor. Why stay in for peanuts when you can do the same thing as a civilian for much (at least 3 times) more?

One of my best buds in my commo section in between flight-training at Embry-Riddle worked as a Dyn Corps contractor in Afghanistan. During the height of the recession, too. Saved an ass-load of cash while the stock market was in shambles. (2008-2009)

I had a platoon sergeant (Army SSG) with 12 years in that ETS'ed in 2005, also to work for Dyncorps in Baghdad. He did that for a couple of years, played his cards right and has a bangin' job as a Federal Air Marshal. I think him forgoing his Army retirement for a career as an Air Marshal was an outstanding move and an example that it's OK to ditch the military if you think you can find something much better.

Those are just two examples.

A few others went Border Patrol. (I was in an MP unit.)

And then, you have your people (like I) who headed to college, too. The economy doesn't really affect you while in school, either...

Old 07-15-2010, 03:56 PM

21 posts, read 35,922 times
As a 22 year old female, I find myself considering the Navy or Air Force. School didn't work out and living pay check to pay check is getting old.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:10 PM

3,503 posts, read 4,530,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
No.

Regardless of how many people try to 'opt' for the military, congress sets how many people are in each branch.

Say 100,000 are in each branch [just a number I made up, you can easily find the real number if you wish], new recruits can only go in if current servicemembers get out.

The military is a rotating pool of bodies. With a set number of members in it.

The nation can go into a really bad depression, but unless congress first says that a branch can expand then each branch will remain at the current size.

During periods of time when few want to enlist, the enlistment standards are lowered. For example I enlisted in 1976, a period of time when few wanted to enlist and the general attitude toward the military was open hatred. I was allowed in with flat-feet, no waivers and no discussion, it was not even seen as a problem. A younger brother of mine tried to enlist a few years later and he was rejected due to his flat feet. The criteria changes every year to keep the level of each branch steady.

Today lots of young people want to enlist, so the standards are very high.
Regardless of the cuotas congress may set that does not mean more people may opt to join the military. That does not mean everybody will be able to, take care.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 PM

436 posts, read 903,595 times
The Army has a backlog for basic for at least a year.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
The Army has a backlog for basic for at least a year.
Wrong.

I know a guy who is going in as an 88M. He just went to through the Houston MEPS to enter the DEP YESTERDAY. His BCT ship date is Feb 4th. I saw the printout that he got from MEPS.

Also, what you're saying wouldn't make sense considering that the longest you can stay in the DEP by regulation is one year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues