U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 PM

15 posts, read 47,824 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently at MCB Camp Lejeune.. He's been here for 3 years and has to decide whether to re-enlist or not. The military is trying to get rid of his MO at Lejeune and if he chooses to re-enlist in his MO (which of course he does) we would have to PCS.

We only have experience living at Lejeune. There's NO jobs here in the surrounding towns and I really don't think staying here would be a viable option for the next 4 years.

Soo.. Which Marine Corps bases are the best? Which MCB have surrounding towns that actually have decent jobs in business?
I know it's not entirely our decision, but we'd like to learn a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,578,873 times
What's his MOS/Job? What field would you like to work in? What rank is he? Without this info I'd have to say Quantico in N VA, which is part of the dc metro area. The only bad thing I can say about it is traffic and you'll have to add cold weather clothes to your wardrobe. I didn't own a long sleeve tee b4 being stationed there. Another option would be Camp Pendleton or hawaii. Pendleton b/c it's Socal with a lot of stuff to do. Hawaii is hawaii. I don't think the job outlook is the greatest there and it's pretty expensive, which is why i asked the rank question. If you don't have kids or have older kids, Iwakuni Japan.

depending on what his job is, there may be reserve units with his MOS that he could be stationed at. Most major cities have a Marine reserve unit.

Your husband's first re-enlistment is the one and only time he is 100% guaranteed to go to whatever base he wants so choose wisely. I went from Cherry Point to Quantico for mine.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:32 AM

15 posts, read 47,824 times
Thanks for the reply!

He's an E4 General Support Mechanic and I would like to work in advertising or marketing somewhere. We don't have any kids. There's really nothing holding us down here at Lejeune actually..

I've heard really good things about Quantico. My husband said that they probably wouldn't let him PCS there though.. but from what you say, he can go wherever he wants when he re-enlists. I'm from Massachusetts, and he's from Illinois so we're definitely used to the cold!

He's been looking to go to the Reserves in Rhode Island but a friend of his tried to get in a few months ago and they wouldn't let him. I think there's only about a .5% chance of him getting in there. That would be our ideal location. I guess we'll see when the time comes.

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-17-2010, 01:06 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,016,284 times
In my order for you....Kaneoho Bay, MCRD SD (if they have his MOS there), Pendleton, Japan, Quantico, New Orleans. I'm sure there are reservist stations that he can go to throughout the country with his MOS (whatever General Support Mechanic is. Is that a hummer mos?) I know tanks, aav's, planes, helos, and most everything have their own mos. Just tell him to go talk to his retention officer.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:41 PM

519 posts, read 1,827,694 times
JMHO, but as a mil spouse myself, if I were looking for work, too, I'd choose Camp Pendleton, MCRD SD or Miramar. While K-Bay is nice, employment opportunities for us spouses is not all that great on Oahu.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:16 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,687,567 times
Pendleton.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 AM

433 posts, read 1,132,253 times
the only marine corps base we've lived on was Kaneohe Bay. (we're navy, most of my friends from kbay have moved to lejeune).

I LOVED hawaii. Kaneohe Bay is on the nicest side of the island....if you like outdoor sports, beaches, and a good nightlife hawaii is a great place to live.

It can be expensive, but you'll get COLA (cost of living allowance) while there and I miss it alot. We're currently in Florida. We lived in Hawaii for 13 years and there was always alot to do for us when we didn't have kids and then again later when we did.

Spousal employment on Oahu can be tough, but it's not impossible. We just left KBay last year. Message me if you have any questions.....

Amy

Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,578,873 times
With her wanting to work, and I still say Quantico. Especially since she's from the west coast. Pendleton is a blast. Right between San Diego and LA. I have had seem great times in the Gaslamp. Hawaii, speaks for itself. Granted w/o kids as an E4 the economics of it should be fine. Especially if you don't plan on having kids for the next 3 yrs. The DC area has some of the best employment opportunities in the country.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,234,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
With her wanting to work, and I still say Quantico. Especially since she's from the west coast. Pendleton is a blast. Right between San Diego and LA. I have had seem great times in the Gaslamp. Hawaii, speaks for itself. Granted w/o kids as an E4 the economics of it should be fine. Especially if you don't plan on having kids for the next 3 yrs. The DC area has some of the best employment opportunities in the country.
You are correct about civilian employment in the DC area; money still flows freely in and around the capitol area.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:20 PM

24,161 posts, read 38,964,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The DC area has some of the best employment opportunities in the country.
I worked in the area as a civilian for 10 years 1990-2000, and still do some minimal part time work.

Once you get accustomed to the area it has some good points... But I think I say that about every area.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues