U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-25-2010, 01:45 PM
 
199 posts, read 581,815 times
Reputation: 88
Default Ex-husband gets disability - do kids get anything?

I am now divorced. I was told just after the divorce was final that my ex began receiving VA disability benefits. We have two children and they live with me.

Are the kids supposed to get any benefits through the VA as being dependents of his? The ex tells me no but I would think they would since they would under social security. I am sure someone on this site has knowledge in this area. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2010, 02:04 PM
 
4,070 posts, read 7,093,988 times
Reputation: 4324
Military disability only is paid to the veteran. You should be able to receive benefits from social security for the children.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Hawaii
1,004 posts, read 1,406,463 times
Reputation: 1751
Absolutely NOT. If your ex has SSDI your children may receive benefits but why on earth would you think that the VA would pay your children???
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Hawaii
1,707 posts, read 3,813,722 times
Reputation: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmaoy View Post
I am now divorced. I was told just after the divorce was final that my ex began receiving VA disability benefits. We have two children and they live with me.

Are the kids supposed to get any benefits through the VA as being dependents of his? The ex tells me no but I would think they would since they would under social security. I am sure someone on this site has knowledge in this area. Thanks.
Does he pay child support?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 02:18 PM
 
199 posts, read 581,815 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Absolutely NOT. If your ex has SSDI your children may receive benefits but why on earth would you think that the VA would pay your children???
I asked because I wasn't sure and I know that under social security the children can get something.

As far as I know, he isn't getting SSDI.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Blackshear, Georgia
158 posts, read 268,281 times
Reputation: 227
Here's the chart that shows the rates with/without children .

VA Disability Compensation Rates - Military Benefits - Military.com



If he is 100%, the children may be eligible for education benefits when they enter college.

walkin2e
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 02:22 PM
 
199 posts, read 581,815 times
Reputation: 88
On a related note, under the Post-911 GI Bill, did he have to retire after August 1, 2009 to be able to transfer the education benefits to the children? I think his retirement became effective in December 2008 or early 2009. He had more than 20 years of service.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Hawaii
1,707 posts, read 3,813,722 times
Reputation: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmaoy View Post
On a related note, under the Post-911 GI Bill, did he have to retire after August 1, 2009 to be able to transfer the education benefits to the children? I think his retirement became effective in December 2008 or early 2009. He had more than 20 years of service.
If he's retired they already have ID cards with full military privliges including health care; what else are you looking for?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 PM
 
14,963 posts, read 5,179,805 times
Reputation: 2993
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkin2e View Post
Here's the chart that shows the rates with/without children .

VA Disability Compensation Rates - Military Benefits - Military.com



If he is 100%, the children may be eligible for education benefits when they enter college.

walkin2e
This has nothing to do with "if she gets paid" or the kids get paid....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2010, 03:24 AM
 
Location: :~)
1,483 posts, read 1,392,415 times
Reputation: 1467
i wonder...what is the real motive...I wonder?

C'mon, now you're considering his disability, too. If he is paying child support then leave disability alone and pursue those other benefits.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top