U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:30 PM

3,375 posts, read 9,909,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Interesting thread about AF standards. When I was in the Army I think they took anyone who wasn't on death row. Maybe that's the difference between being dumb enough to jump OUT of airplanes, and smart enough to fly them...
The Army has also gotten tougher to join!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
That depends on the squadron commander. Ours will let you join without a waiver if the collections accounts are less than 4 total accounts and are all paid off. Anything not paid off= waiver. 5 or more accounts ever delinquent=waiver.
Well I have 5 but 2 are paid off but one still shows I have a balance but I have court papers say I say I it's settle and the other three I'm going to pay off when I get my tax money. The two that r paid off r broken apartment leases and the other three r medical bills . Do you think they will still let me join ?

Old 01-31-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2193299 View Post
Well I have 5 but 2 are paid off but one still shows I have a balance but I have court papers say I say I it's settle and the other three I'm going to pay off when I get my tax money. The two that r paid off r broken apartment leases and the other three r medical bills . Do you think they will still let me join ?
Not right now.

You'll need to have them paid off and then you'll need a waiver.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-2017, 11:03 PM

3,065 posts, read 953,570 times
Quote:
The Army has also gotten tougher to join!
Most branches, especially Air Force are this way now. They boot depr's for all types of reasons. From relatively tight physical standards, to low BMI requisites ,debt, tickets, scratches on skin, illness, illness in the past, poor testing, even for just plain old stubbornness.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:54 AM

25,347 posts, read 41,487,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Interesting thread about AF standards. When I was in the Army I think they took anyone who wasn't on death row. Maybe that's the difference between being dumb enough to jump OUT of airplanes, and smart enough to fly them...
It's in the numbers.

If a military branch has 1 job available and 100 applicants, guess what, 99 people do not get selected...

No, Uncle Sam doesn’t really want YOU: Military now turns down 80% of applicants
By Douglas Ernst - The Washington Times - Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Quote:
Uncle Sam doesn’t want you. At least 80 percent of you.

These days, the U.S. military is only taking 20 percent of the applicants who walk into their local recruiter’s office intent on enlisting in the armed services.

Army Sgt. 1st Class Terrence Hoard told the Kansas City Star that his recruitment office once needed to sign up 16 to 20 soldiers per month to meet recruitment goals. Today, he can get by with 10 to 12.

“We’re turning down twice as many as before,” he told the paper, which reported that four of every five adults who seek to join the military in 2014 do not make the cut.
Entire Article At: No, Uncle Sam doesn't really want YOU: Military now turns down 80% of applicants - Washington Times

And:

Quote:
And cutting the size of the military means recruiting fewer people. The Army’s recruiting goal dropped from 69,000 new enlistments for the 2013 fiscal year to 57,000 for 2014, the US Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) reported. The Navy’s goal dropped from 40,112 in 2013 to 33,800 in 2014, according to its recruiting command.
Entire Article At: https://www.rt.com/usa/158992-milita...ejection-rate/

Old 02-01-2017, 04:18 PM

7 posts, read 5,073 times
I have a question about joining the AF as a dual citizenship. Overall I've been told different things by different branches. I would love to join the AF but they told me I couldn't join the AF as a dual citizenship because everyone in AF gets a security clearance. I've heard different things regarding citizenship especially with allied nations. If someone could give me a clear answer that would be great. Is it true that everyone in the AF gets a security clearance. From my understanding I thought security clearance was given by certain jobs in the military. I have UK and US citizenship.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:58 PM

You can't join the Air Force as a dual citizen. Everyone must be ELIGIBLE for a clearance, but not everyone actually gets one.

I'm pulling this straight out of our regulation, AFRSI 36-2001, page 54.

"2.21. Requirements for Dual Citizens:
2.21.1. For enlistment purposes, the US does not recognize dual citizenship. Individuals
who claim dual citizenship must renounce their citizenship to another country and relinquish
any foreign passports to qualify for enlistment.
2.21.2. Applicants wishing to terminate dual citizenship status must write a statement
renouncing their citizenship to another country and mail (using registered or certified mail)
any foreign passports to the respective embassies and provide the postage receipt to MEPS or
destroy (in the presence of MLS) prior to processing"

That's a completely clear answer. The answer is NO.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:08 PM

25,347 posts, read 41,487,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdaze View Post
If someone could give me a clear answer that would be great. Is it true that everyone in the AF gets a security clearance. From my understanding I thought security clearance was given by certain jobs in the military. I have UK and US citizenship.
Everyone in the U.S. Military has a background investigation conducted. The type of investigation and the type of security clearance granted depends their duty position and their "need to know"...

Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 PM

7 posts, read 5,073 times
Quote:
You can't join the Air Force as a dual citizen. Everyone must be ELIGIBLE for a clearance, but not everyone actually gets one.

I'm pulling this straight out of our regulation, AFRSI 36-2001, page 54.

"2.21. Requirements for Dual Citizens:
2.21.1. For enlistment purposes, the US does not recognize dual citizenship. Individuals
who claim dual citizenship must renounce their citizenship to another country and relinquish
any foreign passports to qualify for enlistment.
2.21.2. Applicants wishing to terminate dual citizenship status must write a statement
renouncing their citizenship to another country and mail (using registered or certified mail)
any foreign passports to the respective embassies and provide the postage receipt to MEPS or
destroy (in the presence of MLS) prior to processing"

That's a completely clear answer. The answer is NO.

Thanks for the info. Did more research for AF and Navy. I guess I was conflicted because my dad was Navy and obtained US citizenship while still keeping his UK citizenship, but from what I am seeing it looks like he probably picked a job that didn't require US citizenship.

Unfortunately I really wanted to do Mass Communications (plus a few other options) and it just looks like its not possible without relinquishing my UK citizenship. Hurts.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 PM

That's the interesting thing. We take non-citizens, just not dual citizens. I had a friend who was in while a dual citizen. She served for 14 years as a dual citizen, and then suddenly they wouldn't let her re-sign without revoking her other citizenship. I think the rules must have changed about a decade ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues