U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 09:00 PM

25,164 posts, read 41,073,155 times

Advertisements

From: US Army Bars Dual US Citizens from Most Jobs | Cascadia Cross-Border Law - U.S. Immigration Lawyers

Quote:
In 2011, the US Army issued a revised personnel regulation in which the Army announced that dual citizens of the United States and another country are not permitted to enlist in the Army, Army Reserve, or Army National Guard into jobs that require a security clearance “unless they already possess a security clearance.”
It goes into more detail.

I could not download the actual regulation which it cited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 631 times
Hi I know this is an old thread, but it's extremely informative. I've noticed some recruiters are having a hard time filling their requirements recently, and was wondering what the outlook on 2017 is? I wanted to enlist right out of high school in 2012, and scored in the 93rd percentile on the ASVAB. To this day, navy recruiters still contact me about joining their nuke program, but I've always been interested in the USAF. I'm almost done with my BS in economics, in which I took a math heavy, econometrics route. Unfortunately, in 2015 I was charged with a DUI. I had it reduced to reckless but I'm aware that doesn't matter. I finished the probation, comm service, fines and everything. I also was charged with retail theft

Old 02-13-2017, 07:16 AM

3,331 posts, read 9,794,007 times
The Air Force is really struggling to make "goal" this year. As a result, I haven't seen any waivers denied in almost a year for our squadron. It largely depends on the squadron. I've gotten a DUI and a sexual battery cleared to join this year. Go for it.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:28 AM

4,650 posts, read 8,537,406 times
I just talked to my buddy who is still in Navy Recruiting Leadership and he said goals are going up for the services. If that is the case then there will be a lot of people that are now eligible that previously were not.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:46 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,967,782 times
This is a little off topic, but since the OP recruiter is still posting...

My 8th grade son is aiming for the academy. This isn't a whim, but an accumulation of his interests and goals. We have read over the requirements carefully and are already working on them, however, I was thinking about bringing him to the recruiter to talk to someone about it face to face, especially since we homeschool. Is this out of line? If not, do I call ahead?

Old 02-13-2017, 12:34 PM

1,478 posts, read 545,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
3. For the love of God, stop getting tattoos! I had to disqualify four people today alone, and I only worked a half day! If we put you in a V-neck tee shirt and ANYTHING, even one iota of tattoo is showing above the tee shirt... you're done! Girls, those tattoos you're all getting on your necks and behind your ears... they're not worth it! Don't do it! Getting them removed is a long, expensive, and painful process. Please don't get tattoos on your wrists or hands! You can't join with those either!
Will the Air Force waive young women walking in a recruiting office, tattooed up and wearing a "Make America Great Agian" dress tightly hugging her hips?

I ask because if I was a Marine recruiter I would.

Semper.

(I read post number one, and the thought that came to my mind was, "Well, that's a perfect reason to join the French Foreign Legion," tattooed nefarious bast--ds they are fleeing law enforcements or a past they no longer wish to remember. I got 98% of my tattoos while I was still in the US Marine Corps. Now, the Corps wants to prohibit men from entering that have tattoos located on their forearms like the ones I got on them when I was active duty. Some idiot behind a desk must have drew up that brilliant idea. Me? I'd like to show up at the Marine Corps Ball with a woman looking like this, tattooes and skin showing and all. But then I admit I am completely corrupted )

https://www.yahoo.com/style/singer-j...234049936.html

Quote:
Singer Joy Villa Wears ‘Make America Great Again’ Dress at 2017 Grammy Awards
Quote:
Stepping out in a white cloak, the singer — a self-described feminist — posed for cameras holding a heart-shaped purse. Moments later, Villa whipped off the garment to reveal a flashy red, white, and blue gown emblazoned with the phrase “Make America Great Again” down the front.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jBkWoFlhH1M

Old 02-13-2017, 04:53 PM

3,018 posts, read 927,266 times
Regarding tattoos, there was a recent change in USAF policy.
Air Force Relaxes Tattoo Policy, Allows Sleeves | Military.com

Quote:
The Air Force on Tuesday announced it will no longer limit the size of airmen's body tattoos, in a significant shift that opens up the door to popular sleeve tattoos.

The policy change is slated to take effect Feb. 1.

The change in regulations will allow both arm and leg sleeves, Lt. Gen. Gina Grosso, deputy chief of staff for Air Force manpower, personnel and services, told Military.com in an exclusive interview Friday at the Pentagon.

"As a next step in this evolution, we are opening the aperture on certain medical accession criteria and tattoos while taking into account our needs for worldwide deployability and our commitment to the profession of arms," Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James said in a statement.

RELATED: Air Force Expands Medical Waivers, No Questions on Prior Marijuana Use

The service is axing its "25 percent rule," which prohibits tattoos that cover more than a quarter of an exposed body part. That rule was added to the Air Force Guidance Memorandum, or AFI 36-2903, "Dress and Personal Appearance," in 1998, then updated with a measuring tool in 2010, said Air Force spokesman Maj. Bryan Lewis.

Tattoos will now be allowed on the chest, back, arms and legs and will not be restricted to size, according to Grosso. "Size will not be a factor anymore," she said.

Grosso added, "Old policy, current policy, anything that's inappropriate, racist, sexist, inappropriate picture -- those have never been acceptable and will still not be acceptable."

Tattoos, brandings or body markings on the head, neck, face, tongue, lips and or scalp will still be prohibited.

There will be no restriction on the arm up to an individual's wrist, Grosso added. But "the only tattoo you can have on your hand is on one finger, and that's for both hands," she said. An example of this would be a wedding ring tattoo.

"You can't have it on two fingers -- out of your 10 fingers, you can have it on one finger," she said.

Current airmen with existing hand tattoos that were authorized under the previous policy will be grandfathered in under the old policy standards.

The service previously allowed tattoos to be visible while in PT gear, but not service dress or other formal uniforms. If an airman had an "excessive" tattoo -- exceeding the 25 percent rule -- but was granted a waiver by his or her command, the individual was required to cover up the tattoo while in uniform. The waiver would remain on the airman's service record until he or she left the service or removed the tattoo.

Commanders still have authority to require an airman to remove a tattoo if it is deemed offensive or to cover it up during a ceremony, Grosso said.

"If a commander felt like it would be more appropriate to have everybody in a standard uniform, they could ask an airman to cover the tattoo for certain events; they have that authority. But not to [force them to] remove it," she said. "We trust commanders to do the right thing in those situations."

The same goes for singular finger tattoos, she added.

Airmen cannot tattoo themselves with symbols linked to hate groups, gangs, extremist or supremacist organizations, or anything the Air Force classifies to be obscene, or which advocates sexual, racial, ethnic or religious discrimination, the policy states. The Air Force Office of Special Investigations is tasked with reviewing designs flagged as offensive, but doesn't maintain a running list of them, an official said.

"If presented with a request from Air Force officials, AFOSI would research the symbol to determine if it has been reported to law enforcement in the past as associated with hate groups," OSI spokeswoman Linda Card said. "We defer to DOJ, FBI, and ATF for an official stance on any symbol's association with hate groups."

The service reviews dress and appearance policy every four years. With Defense Secretary Ash Carter's efforts to bring in and retain a diverse array of service members -- his "Force of the Future" initiative -- the policy changes "dovetailed together" to "get access to more talented young people," Grosso said.

"The Air Force, the Army and the Navy are all fairly similar [in their tattoo policies]," Grosso said. "The Marine Corps right now is really the most conservative, I would say."

Last spring, the service said officials had convened a working group to assess studies and feedback from airmen on how best to address body ink. James in August said the group was also reviewing where the Air Force stood in comparison to its sister services.

"The tattoo policy will be reviewed as part of that greater look," James said, "and one thing I specifically asked for as part of that review is that we look at what the other services are doing because we're ... in a healthy and friendly competition with our sister services, and we don't want to lose out on good recruits -- at least without thinking it through on what the tattoo situation is," she told Air Force Times during an editorial board at the time.

Grosso said that the Air Force recruiting service also collected data for a couple of months on people coming in to inquire about joining the service.

"Almost one out of every two people coming in had a tattoo," she said, "and about one out of every five needed a waiver -- for the size."

While not a scientific study -- Grosso did not say how many people total were asked, just that potential recruits casually spoke with recruiters about the subject -- the basic survey data on a future retention aspect "showed what we're experiencing, that we were clearly excluding people that were otherwise qualified," she said.

Editor's Note: This story was updated to correct a reference to the Air Force Office of Special Investigations' tattoo review process in the 16th paragraph.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:07 AM

3,331 posts, read 9,794,007 times
Yep, tattoo policy just got a lot more lenient thanks to a certain commander in chief wanting us to grow, grow, grow.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:04 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,467,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Yep, tattoo policy just got a lot more lenient thanks to a certain commander in chief wanting us to grow, grow, grow.
If growing the military requires relaxing former rules, do you forsee the rules on how long you can stay at a current pay scale before getting booted relaxed also ?

I ask this because I knew some very great Navy PO1 ( E-6)who were forced out for not making Chief(E-7)

Some were in a rating that advancing after E-5 was very difficult.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:29 AM

615 posts, read 312,665 times
I'm curious why the AF is having trouble meeting their goals this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues