U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:18 PM

204 posts, read 1,199,389 times

Advertisements

My two cents: If I were an AF Recruiter and I had several young folks requesting to join the AF "who did not have a clue" in this internet age, I would not waste my time. Virtually all the info in dmarie123's post is readily available on the net. I am retired AF, but when I joined (1981) it was like stepping into the unknown. I got a dot matrix print out of the job description and an antiquated color brochure (from the 60's or so it appeared) of basic. That was it. There was no other info available. The "sharp" ones KNOW the score these days. If I were a recruiter I would bend over backwards to try to accommodate a young person who did their homework. As for the rest, send em' down the hall to the _______ (fill in the blank with one of the other services).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 04:47 PM

3,069 posts, read 7,135,019 times
In defense of the kids, alot of the information one the net is outdated or just plain wrong. Also, i've found tat people's main source of info is typically their _____________ [mom, dad, uncle, friend, grandpa, pastor, cousin, teacher]. typically someone the kid trust, but also who's info is even more wrong or outdated. It's bunch of "I heard......." and "my [blank] said".

I recruit in an AF town and alot of kids are getting crap info from current and former airmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post
My two cents: If I were an AF Recruiter and I had several young folks requesting to join the AF "who did not have a clue" in this internet age, I would not waste my time. Virtually all the info in dmarie123's post is readily available on the net. I am retired AF, but when I joined (1981) it was like stepping into the unknown. I got a dot matrix print out of the job description and an antiquated color brochure (from the 60's or so it appeared) of basic. That was it. There was no other info available. The "sharp" ones KNOW the score these days. If I were a recruiter I would bend over backwards to try to accommodate a young person who did their homework. As for the rest, send em' down the hall to the _______ (fill in the blank with one of the other services).

Old 07-31-2010, 05:03 PM

2,877 posts, read 8,301,922 times
And kids also get confused cuz their are different rules between the services and they assume the rules are all the same.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:20 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,091,638 times
Great advice, Dmarie! I think what is lost on today's potential military recruits is that the armed forces are like ANY other employer. The services can change their standards, bonuses and other policies as necessary to meet their manpower requirements. When the civilan economy is roaring like a blast furnace, the armed services must compete a lot harder with civilian employers for the same labor pool and thus must offer incentives that will be attractive to potential recruits. And, conversely, may have to relax some standards to meet recruiting goals.

Now, with a down economy, suddenly the job gets easier. The military is able to raise standards and can also select from a larger pool of applicants. The taxpayers also get a lot more for their money, too.

The sharpest applicants will realize this...

Old 07-31-2010, 06:02 PM

204 posts, read 1,199,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
And kids also get confused cuz their are different rules between the services and they assume the rules are all the same.
Yes, there is a lot to know. However, if I were a person who wanted a job with an organization where the standards were so stringent that I might be called to lay my life down when asked, er, I think I could maybe bring a notebook with print-out pages from the internet, with tabs separating the respective services so I didn't get confused (personal responsibility and initiative). Then, if my info was not current, the recruiter could correct me and I could make note of that, and any other guidance that person could give me. This is not Burger King. You had better KNOW something about military service from "jump street." It's a mouse click away. Again, the sharp ones deserve the attention, and will do better in basic, tech school, and first duty station because they've already got their sh** together. Just my personal observation after twenty-one years of honorable Air Force service

Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 AM

2,183 posts, read 6,480,801 times
I don't think by changing the weight, tattoo or a late credit card payments are the best items to change if you're goal is to want sharp troops. Higher ASVAB standards and additional IQ tests are what you want for "sharpness". But I know of AF O1-03s who are very bright and do nothing more than data entry, I feel so bad that the AF is not properly utilizing/challenging their talents...

Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 AM

2,877 posts, read 8,301,922 times
We have changed the ASVAB Standards. You must have a 50. It used to be in the 30s. And they've gotten a lot stricter on waivers for law violations- almost impossible to get one now.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:36 PM

4,220 posts, read 19,107,864 times
When I came thru 12 years ago, a 40 was required on the ASVAB.

dmarie's info should be made a sticky.

In this day and age I could see why so many are opting for the military, and especially the AF.

dmarie how long have you been recruiting? The AF, as you know, has really started to downsize, with that said how many are they letting in as opposed to how many they "used" to let in?

Old 08-01-2010, 03:48 PM

3,069 posts, read 7,135,019 times
It shouldn't be a sticky b.c this stuff changes and varies widely even within the AF. For instance, You can join the AF reserves with a 31 (or is it 35) as long as you qualify for the job, via your line scores, that that unit has. Also, the AF recruiting station in my town has 70 set as their minimum score. That's not even a hard number because I've seen them enlist people in the 40s if they qualified for a job that they had a hard time fielding like PJs.

@JAGman, I personally hope the downsizing will allow them to better utilize their people. I was shocked the first time I went on the local AF base where I'm stationed and they had Airman passing out towels in the gym. Also they'll move away from how they use tow or three airmen to do one task, which only takes a single person to do in the other services, in regards to maintenance and such.

As people feel they contribute more perhaps it will improve the overall morale of the AF. it always struck me as odd though the AF seems to have the highest interest in people joining, they also seem to have the lowest morale/pride among their servicemen overall.

Anyways, a lot of these stricter rules across the services is a combination of a bad economy and force reduction. AS the AF gets to the number it wants and the economy improves, these rule may change.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:10 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,091,638 times
Macjr, I'll have to agree with you about making recruiting information a sticky. Recruiting info is subject to frequent change and I'd hate to make some recruiter's job harder because a prospect walked in the door saying they "read on City-Data..." Best advice, IMHO, is: For current info, check with a recruiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues