U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:50 PM

2,837 posts, read 8,104,867 times

Advertisements

Deez Nutz,
I've only been recruiting for a couple months, just long enough to be frustrated with the number of people that are upset because they did something stupid and got a DQ.

It's been a wonderfully awesome job. I was warned not to do it, that it would be hell, ruin my career, ect. None of that is true, so far anyway. It's great. I've recruited just enough that I've been cut-off. I'm not allowed to recruit anyone else for awhile. Our numbers have reached max capacity on our waiting lists. I know there are some recruiters still recruiting, every unit's numbers are different.

I'm just racking and stacking the qualified people that are waiting to take the physical so that when I'm given the green-light I can send some of them to MEPS.

I half wonder if I'm going to see the ASVAB minimum raised even more.

I have kids and parents BEGGING for me to put them into the Air Force!!

And I do understand that if patriotism or the economy head in different directions it could get harder. Now, the hardest part is returning the 40+ phone calls a day of people who want to join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 AM

924 posts, read 1,568,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Deez Nutz,
I've only been recruiting for a couple months, just long enough to be frustrated with the number of people that are upset because they did something stupid and got a DQ.

It's been a wonderfully awesome job. I was warned not to do it, that it would be hell, ruin my career, ect. None of that is true, so far anyway. It's great. I've recruited just enough that I've been cut-off. I'm not allowed to recruit anyone else for awhile. Our numbers have reached max capacity on our waiting lists. I know there are some recruiters still recruiting, every unit's numbers are different.

I'm just racking and stacking the qualified people that are waiting to take the physical so that when I'm given the green-light I can send some of them to MEPS.

I half wonder if I'm going to see the ASVAB minimum raised even more.

I have kids and parents BEGGING for me to put them into the Air Force!!

And I do understand that if patriotism or the economy head in different directions it could get harder. Now, the hardest part is returning the 40+ phone calls a day of people who want to join.
What's the situation with officers these days? I've been told it's hard to get in to become an officer because the AF have too many at the moment. By your list there's nothing to worry about, but I'm sure there's a whole different list for what makes for a good potential officer.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:36 PM

I'm not an officer recruiter, and I don't want to steer you wrong. I've been told a really high GPA and a degree that is in demand. It's competitive, you submit a resume. I heard that they had 3000 applicants for every 75 positions. That is 3000 QUALIFIED applicants. Our officer recruiter keeps sending people with degrees back to the enlisted recruiters cuz they are so overwhelmed with applicants, with perfect applicants. But again, I'm not an officer recruiter, so I could be totally wrong.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:49 PM

924 posts, read 1,568,249 times
Quote:
I'm not an officer recruiter, and I don't want to steer you wrong. I've been told a really high GPA and a degree that is in demand. It's competitive, you submit a resume. I heard that they had 3000 applicants for every 75 positions. That is 3000 QUALIFIED applicants. Our officer recruiter keeps sending people with degrees back to the enlisted recruiters cuz they are so overwhelmed with applicants, with perfect applicants. But again, I'm not an officer recruiter, so I could be totally wrong.
Thanks for the reply. I've been told the same about the GPA and degree by current officers.

I can believe the 3,000 applicants given how rough it can be out there in the private sector. I had a 3.72 college GPA, but, with that many people there's probably quite a number of 3.8 and 3.9 people that would beat me out (maybe not with my degree though, I don't know).

I'll keep it in mind if it becomes a serious consideration in the next couple years, at least I'm not so set on it that I'd be leaving the recruiting office in tears!

Old 08-03-2010, 03:05 AM

If your degree is in a type of engineering or if it's aviation or something related, you'll have a better shot. If your degree is in management, English, history, general studies, media arts, ect, you probably won't get picked up. The only way is to try.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM

6,349 posts, read 17,876,104 times
The good news is the Air Force is ALWAYS recruiting. People that retire, leave the service voluntarily or are discharged for cause must be replaced. AND, remember, the staffing levels of the services are always in a state of flux. But, as Dmarie says, factors such as the U.S. economy or the level of patriotism affect the numbers of people the USAF must recruit. So, the game plan is: challenge yourself to have the most of what the USAF (and the other services) are looking for: a degree in a field the military is likely to need. Keep yourself out of trouble. Stay away from recreational chemicals and avoid the negative effects of alcohol consumtion. Get and stay in good physical condition.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 08-05-2010 at 12:09 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 03:14 PM

3,243 posts, read 2,173,700 times
Quote:
Then that means there's 2,925 applicants R E J E C T E D for officer positions. Even if they're dang qualified

Old 06-21-2011, 04:15 PM

22,729 posts, read 34,308,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Then that means there's 2,925 applicants R E J E C T E D for officer positions. Even if they're dang qualified
I did not verify your math, but that number sounds ball park correct.

The number of officers in the military is set by congress. And not everyone who is qualified gets selected.

A lot of people are currently being turned away from the military, the standards are raised because they can be.

Rich

Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-21-2011, 05:06 PM

3,243 posts, read 2,173,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
A lot of people are currently being turned away from the military, the standards are raised because they can be.

Rich
That's because they do things to disqualify themselves, or they didn't study for the ASVAB in advance

Old 06-21-2011, 05:48 PM

22,729 posts, read 34,308,992 times
What I meant was, "The Pentagon, facing an “unprecedented” surplus of troops, is slashing spending on recruitment advertising that has netted firms including McCann Erickson Worldwide hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Enlistees are staying put as the 9.1 percent U.S. unemployment rate limits non-military job options, defense officials said, and as wars in Iraq and Afghanistan wind down. “We’re seeing retention in the Navy the likes of which we’ve never seen before,” Admiral Gary Roughead, chief of naval operations, said in an interview with Bloomberg Government. The Navy is cutting 3,000 sailors from its ranks, Roughead announced in April. The Army, which spends the most among the services on advertising, has dropped its recruitment goal by 20 percent since 2008."

We don't need as many people right now... A lot of people are currently being turned away from the military, the standards are raised because they can be.

The entire article can be read here: Pentagon Ad Spending Falls in Troop Surplus - Bloomberg - Jun 17, 2011

Rich

Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues