U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2014, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, not Paris. #MAGA.
6,947 posts, read 3,590,035 times
Reputation: 7165

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The Navy does not conduct a credit check during the enlistment process. It was only the Air Force and Coast Guard doing it when I was recruiting a couple years ago.
While I can't speak for regular Navy enlistment process and will take your word on the issue, we are asked whether we have been/are late on any debt payments when going through the OCS selection process (I'd assume that they conduct a credit background check as well, but am not 100% sure). We're also asked whether we have any debt and, if so, how much.

To answer some of the other posters' question on why its "necessary" to check credit when joining the military, there's the issue with integrity and the ability to follow-up and commit to a schedule (all things that are necessary in the military) as well as the issue of ensuring that your financial house is in order so that you're less susceptible to engaging in behavior (e.g. turning to gambling, drinking, or even selling state secrets) that will comprise the national security of the US/compromise your ability to perform your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Hard aground in the Sonoran Desert
4,289 posts, read 6,807,859 times
Reputation: 5465
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I can't speak for regular Navy enlistment process and will take your word on the issue, we are asked whether we have been/are late on any debt payments when going through the OCS selection process (I'd assume that they conduct a credit background check as well, but am not 100% sure). We're also asked whether we have any debt and, if so, how much.

To answer some of the other posters' question on why its "necessary" to check credit when joining the military, there's the issue with integrity and the ability to follow-up and commit to a schedule (all things that are necessary in the military) as well as the issue of ensuring that your financial house is in order so that you're less susceptible to engaging in behavior (e.g. turning to gambling, drinking, or even selling state secrets) that will comprise the national security of the US/compromise your ability to perform your job.
The Navy does do a "financial statement" on some applicants that meet certain criteria. That is filled out by the applicant and there is no credit check done. Asks for their income, living expenses and any other obligations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, not Paris. #MAGA.
6,947 posts, read 3,590,035 times
Reputation: 7165
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The Navy does do a "financial statement" on some applicants that meet certain criteria. That is filled out by the applicant and there is no credit check done. Asks for their income, living expenses and any other obligations.
Do you know if the no credit check applies to those who are under consideration for a security clearance? I'd imagine that such individuals will have a credit check conducted on them, among many other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Hard aground in the Sonoran Desert
4,289 posts, read 6,807,859 times
Reputation: 5465
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Do you know if the no credit check applies to those who are under consideration for a security clearance? I'd imagine that such individuals will have a credit check conducted on them, among many other things.
There are credit checks done for security clearance background checks, however, those often are not completed until after someone is already in and they are not conducted by the Navy but by the DoDCAF.

The Air Force runs credit checks as part of their enlistment process, the Navy does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 11:48 PM
 
6 posts, read 6,747 times
Reputation: 15
Hey Dmarie123, I was hoping you could elaborate a little on something for me.

"2. Please don't commit a crime. Drinking and driving and possession of marijuana seem to be a right of passage for today's youth. Those will disqualify you. The joint/drink is not worth it! It doesn't matter if you got the charges dismissed/dropped, you still aren't free and clear to join."

I was arrested for possession of pot, but was not charged. I was not charged because the next day I took a drug test and was clean for all drugs (I have never done drugs). I was wrongfully charged and the officer was charged (along with 11 other counts...) for doing that. I also have two minor consumption charges, I got almost 5 years ago. I did community service for both of the minor consumption charges and that was it.

Would this be a problem if I wanted to join the Air Force?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 11:01 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,951 times
Reputation: 10
My son had ADHD he hasn't been on meds since 2009-2010 he graduates this year 2015 and is trying to get in the AirForce but he keeps getting the run around we have done everything the recruiter has asked we released his medical records and the phyiscyitrist even wrote a letter I'm not sure why he keeps getting the run around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 06:38 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,837 posts, read 8,104,867 times
Reputation: 3856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantastic View Post
Hey Dmarie123, I was hoping you could elaborate a little on something for me.

"2. Please don't commit a crime. Drinking and driving and possession of marijuana seem to be a right of passage for today's youth. Those will disqualify you. The joint/drink is not worth it! It doesn't matter if you got the charges dismissed/dropped, you still aren't free and clear to join."

I was arrested for possession of pot, but was not charged. I was not charged because the next day I took a drug test and was clean for all drugs (I have never done drugs). I was wrongfully charged and the officer was charged (along with 11 other counts...) for doing that. I also have two minor consumption charges, I got almost 5 years ago. I did community service for both of the minor consumption charges and that was it.

Would this be a problem if I wanted to join the Air Force?

Thanks for your help!
Didn't see this as it is buried in the thread.

You will need a waiver for the drug arrest, even if charges were dropped. The AF will want an explanation of why you were in that situation (I assume someone you were with had drugs, and that's a problem for us). You will also have to make a case as to why you ignored laws about drinking age TWICE, and convince an AF commander that you respect that law despite your previous disregard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 06:39 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,837 posts, read 8,104,867 times
Reputation: 3856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jst4her90 View Post
My son had ADHD he hasn't been on meds since 2009-2010 he graduates this year 2015 and is trying to get in the AirForce but he keeps getting the run around we have done everything the recruiter has asked we released his medical records and the phyiscyitrist even wrote a letter I'm not sure why he keeps getting the run around?
If you started your own thread you'd get more replies. The AF requires a 3 year waiting period. You're past that. Did you actually get the records from the psychiatrist? A letter will NOT work. You need the RECORDS. If you haven't provided the RECORDS, you won't be able to get him cleared. Psychiatrists like to write letters instead of giving up records, so it can be difficult to obtain them. Without the records, you won't get your son cleared. MEPS requires the actual treatment records, treatment notes, etc.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 08:41 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 868,076 times
Reputation: 867
Why is our army so hard to join nowadays?


It used to be that they would take anybody especially troubled people now the army operates like any bummy business(aka highly picky). It sucks. Do other countries operate their army correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 05:28 AM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
11,446 posts, read 5,166,301 times
Reputation: 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Why is our army so hard to join nowadays?


It used to be that they would take anybody especially troubled people now the army operates like any bummy business(aka highly picky). It sucks. Do other countries operate their army correctly.
Only the ones with ineffective armed forces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top