U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 AM

2,877 posts, read 8,301,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Why is our army so hard to join nowadays?

It used to be that they would take anybody especially troubled people now the army operates like any bummy business(aka highly picky). It sucks. Do other countries operate their army correctly.
Why would we want sub-par citizens in the Army if others are willing to join? Supply and demand. Law abiding, medically stable, educated people WANT to join, so why fill the ranks with convicts are under-educated? Our military is now filled with technology that it didn't used to have. It has progressed. Warfare is no longer brute muscle, and more strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 PM

206 posts, read 115,822 times
^ plus the military doesn't want people who are just going to get in trouble with the law once they're in. There's the old saying that past behavior is one of the best indicators we have of future behavior.

There's also the aspect that they really, really don't want people who are going to go overseas and get in trouble with the law. That tends to make the whole country look bad. I've been a few places where I was fairly certain that the only Americans the locals had ever seen were DoD employees (military or civilian). In places like that you're kinda a walking, talking piece of America and what you do may stay in people's memory for awhile.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 PM

9,048 posts, read 13,623,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
OH YEAH!!! I can't tell you, probably 50-60 people in the month that I have been there have tried to join with a GED.

GET A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA!!!! The Air Force does NOT recognize or accept a GED! You must get 15 college credits to prove that you can succeed in school if you have a GED. People look at me like I've grown 4 eyes when they find out they have to go to college first. It's only 5 classes, but still. Just stay in High School.

One girl actually came in and told me that he got the GED on purpose, instead of a high school diploma, because she wanted to join the Air Force, and could get the GED faster. She made that choice! Now she has to go for 2 semesters of college first!

I blame HS counselors for much of this. They tell kids anything they want to hear. Do whatever you feel comfortable with, its your life, it doesn't matter what others think...they really believe the BS they're being handed! All the HS counselors care about is keeping the kids placated until they graduate or age out to prevent another Columbine I tried desperately to keep my DS off ADHD drugs, but was overruled by counselors and doctors, so now he's got that record. when I protested such drugs---which he truly doesn't need---could limit his future options, I just got a blank look from counselors. They obviously have no real idea, nor do they give a fig, about the kid's future. Parents and their advice is totally dismissed as having any validity.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:20 PM

9,048 posts, read 13,623,799 times
Now I understand why our previous landlord was so anal about getting the rent on time. He is an Air Force Colonel, a rising star. We were never late with the payment, but he would expect it the day before the first of the month and call us to 'remind" us to send it. It got irritating, we were never late with the rent, but we can't pay him until we get paid. I thought he just didn't trust us, but now I see he was conditioned to worry about his bills being paid on the dot. Well, ok, that makes me feel better, even after the fact---we moved out for a smaller place.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,266 times
If you have around 2000.00 in collections but get a personal note to take care of them can you still enlist and get accepted in the Air Force

Old 05-10-2015, 02:45 PM

836 posts, read 1,194,974 times
When the economy is strong and recuriting suffers, the standards go down and you may get a waiver for issues that disqualify you when more are clamoring to join.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,158 times
Default Aurthorized Tattoos To Enter U.S. Military

I have one a heart on my hand and a peace sign on the inside of my arm above the wrist, im turning 17 and was planning on joining after I graduate high school in 2 years, would these tattoos be a problem??

Old 06-22-2015, 12:17 PM

18 posts, read 10,815 times
Incoming H.S. Freshman go through an orientation meeting - usually in the auditorium - where the principal speaks and the students come face to face with all their 'oh **** I'm in H.S. now' fears. THAT is a great time for the armed services to be there and have a few words on stage regarding recruitment standards/requirements...

Old 06-22-2015, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 10,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Navarro View Post
I have one a heart on my hand and a peace sign on the inside of my arm above the wrist, im turning 17 and was planning on joining after I graduate high school in 2 years, would these tattoos be a problem??
It's a problem for the Marine Corps, but you could probably get a waiver from big Navy. Idk about the other branches...

Old 06-22-2015, 02:10 PM

23,015 posts, read 35,272,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Navarro View Post
I believe each service has their own regulation covering Tattoos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues