U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 05:27 PM

12,303 posts, read 15,209,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicejb View Post
Wow...some requirements have changed (added). The credit check was not even on the list when I joined.
Things have changed a lot since Vietnam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 09:32 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,819,546 times
Yeah, Viet Nam vet here too. Lots of changes, but I think for the better.
I'm presently working on an AF base and I see a lot of over weight ladies, not so many men.
Course when I was in we never had many women, or even saw them.
But all in all I'll tell you what, these young folks today are pretty smart compaired to when I was in.
And very well mannered. Or maybe it's because I'm so old they respect my age. LOL

Old 06-22-2015, 09:35 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,819,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaOne View Post
Incoming H.S. Freshman go through an orientation meeting - usually in the auditorium - where the principal speaks and the students come face to face with all their 'oh **** I'm in H.S. now' fears. THAT is a great time for the armed services to be there and have a few words on stage regarding recruitment standards/requirements...
You know, that's a very good point. Helps them look to the future and what not to do.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:54 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,112,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
OK people- I haven't been recruiting that long, but I feel like I do nothing but break hearts all day. I have to turn away so many people who desperately want to join. People seem to think that joining the military is almost a right, and that we'll just take anyone. This week alone I've had people leave my office in tears because the Air Force was their dream and they went and got themselves disqualified.

I wanted to post a quick list of the most common things I'm seeing "on the street" that are disqualifying people from the Air Force, and breaking hearts.

1. Do not pay anything late! If you are having crazy financial issues, talk to your lenders and see what you can do. Late payments that have been reported disqualify you from the Air Force. We will check your credit. That late payment last year, yeah, it can disqualify you.

2. Please don't commit a crime. Drinking and driving and possession of marijuana seem to be a right of passage for today's youth. Those will disqualify you. The joint/drink is not worth it! It doesn't matter if you got the charges dismissed/dropped, you still aren't free and clear to join. Don't do it in the first place.

3. For the love of God, stop getting tattoos! I had to disqualify four people today alone, and I only worked a half day! If we put you in a V-neck tee shirt and ANYTHING, even one iota of tattoo is showing above the tee shirt... you're done! Girls, those tattoos you're all getting on your necks and behind your ears... they're not worth it! Don't do it! Getting them removed is a long, expensive, and painful process. Please don't get tattoos on your wrists or hands! You can't join with those either!

4. Please, if your doctor puts you on ADHD or ADD medications and you only kinda/sorta need them... why are you on them? That's cause for disqualification. You have to be off them for a year before joining. And don't just stop taking them cuz you found out you have to be off them. Please stop under a doctor's supervision. We will need to see the doctor's notes about your progress coming off the medications. Parents, please don't medicate your children for attention disorders and then come into my office and plead with me about how they didn't really "need" the medication. If it's not needed, don't get the prescription!

5. Please stop having kids at 16 or 17 years old and then trying to join. Wait to have the kids. No single parents allowed.

6. The biggest factor! Please please please watch what you eat and get some exercise. Our weight standards are REALLY REALLY strict!! 6 feet tall? You need to be under 200lbs! It's really awkward when I have to tell you in front of all your friends that came into the office with you that you are 20lbs overweight and you act offended and shocked. I don't make the rules!
Some of this stuff is absolutely ridiculous and condescending for any branch of the military to demand. I signed on the dotted line during my senior year of high school in '83 and if any of this stuff had even been mentioned I would have told the recruiter to kiss me where the sun don't shine. While none of it would have pertained to me it would have given me insight into what type of organization I was dealing with. As it is, if I would have known I was being discriminated against by the Navy by not being offered to go to OCS despite having a very high score on my entrance exam because of gender and skin color, I wouldn't have enlisted.

Not paying anything late? Are you kidding me???

No single parents? I had a good friend from Puerto Rico when I was stationed in West Germany who was a single mother. The Army required she give up custody of her daughter temporarily to her mother, then once she was finished with basic training and her specialty training and went to her first command to work, she then flew back to Puerto Rico, proved to the judge she had someone to watch the child, and was able to get custody back. She did fine, had a babysitter, and was able to rely on good friends to help watch her daughter when needed. With some occupations I can see where it would be a problem but for ours it wasn't.

Watch how fast these standards drop during the next military build up or major war necessitating the draft.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:17 PM

38 posts, read 22,288 times
I was slightly overweight when I signed up. I had late bill payments on my record. I had a disorderly conduct charge for fighting (and for which I had to get clearance from the MEPS battalion). But I was accepted into MP training. So I don't know if the standards have changed or are different for different branches.

I will say that I saw a sad case of a guy who made it through basic and was into Week 13 (overall), or about a month from graduation. He had to be recycled because of a pending court case in which the outcome was the loss of his driver's license for 6 months. No license, no MP.

I also knew guys who used drugs and were told by their recruiters to lie about it. Apparently, in the Dot.Com economy, they took what they could get.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:00 PM

3,242 posts, read 4,581,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Navarro View Post
I have one a heart on my hand and a peace sign on the inside of my arm above the wrist, im turning 17 and was planning on joining after I graduate high school in 2 years, would these tattoos be a problem??
Things are constantly changing. What a recruiter tells you now might not be true in 2 years.

I wouldn't get anymore tattoos in the time being if I were you. There's always time for more tattoos in the future.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:56 AM

2,032 posts, read 1,112,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavischipolte View Post
I was slightly overweight when I signed up. I had late bill payments on my record. I had a disorderly conduct charge for fighting (and for which I had to get clearance from the MEPS battalion). But I was accepted into MP training. So I don't know if the standards have changed or are different for different branches.

I will say that I saw a sad case of a guy who made it through basic and was into Week 13 (overall), or about a month from graduation. He had to be recycled because of a pending court case in which the outcome was the loss of his driver's license for 6 months. No license, no MP.

I also knew guys who used drugs and were told by their recruiters to lie about it. Apparently, in the Dot.Com economy, they took what they could get.
Back when I signed up they had a two strike policy for drugs, including marijuana. I was honest and admitted I had smoked it a couple times so was on thin ice when I was in. Most people lied and answered no so still had both strikes available. Just another thing that when I look back on it probably should have made me walk away from joining. Fortunately things worked out and my six years were a great and rewarding experience.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 983 times
What about vision. What prevents you from getting in ?

Can bad vision or contacts disqualify you ?

Old 01-25-2016, 10:33 AM

16,788 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattonye View Post
What about vision. What prevents you from getting in ?

Can bad vision or contacts disqualify you ?

The vision standards allow corrective lenses, contacts. Flight ops may be out of the question. Disqualifiers for vision start on page 11, standards are on 14.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/613003p.pdf

Old 02-15-2016, 09:09 AM

286 posts, read 216,207 times
i am not considering joining, but i am 6'3 210 pounds but I'm athletic and workout 6 days a week, but thats your 200lbs 6 foot threshold so i would be disqualified the same as some fat slob?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues