Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 02:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
i am not considering joining, but i am 6'3 210 pounds but I'm athletic and workout 6 days a week, but thats your 200lbs 6 foot threshold so i would be disqualified the same as some fat slob?
Right or wrong, when I see young fit airmen afraid to eat a good meal because they've got a fitness test coming up, that just burns my natural-born-mama heart right up. People aren't supposed to be skinny. Some of those guys were. The weight standards aren't very realistic. Shame we can't just stay in shape without someone putting standards out there that we have to meet. Unfortunately far too many military members - often leaders, higher ranking officers and enlisted - are WAY out of regs. Really ticks me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 06:07 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,324,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
i am not considering joining, but i am 6'3 210 pounds but I'm athletic and workout 6 days a week, but thats your 200lbs 6 foot threshold so i would be disqualified the same as some fat slob?
You are wrong. Your weight max is 220 lbs. I don't know where you got the 200 lbs from. Are you looking at 75 inches? You are withing our ht/wt standards.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattonye View Post
What about vision. What prevents you from getting in ?

Can bad vision or contacts disqualify you ?

Do you have contacts? Just look at the box. If your Rx is a larger number than 8, you're disqualified. If it's a lower number than 8 you are not disqualified.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:19 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
OK people- I haven't been recruiting that long, but I feel like I do nothing but break hearts all day. I have to turn away so many people who desperately want to join. People seem to think that joining the military is almost a right, and that we'll just take anyone. This week alone I've had people leave my office in tears because the Air Force was their dream and they went and got themselves disqualified.

I wanted to post a quick list of the most common things I'm seeing "on the street" that are disqualifying people from the Air Force, and breaking hearts.

1. Do not pay anything late! If you are having crazy financial issues, talk to your lenders and see what you can do. Late payments that have been reported disqualify you from the Air Force. We will check your credit. That late payment last year, yeah, it can disqualify you.

2. Please don't commit a crime. Drinking and driving and possession of marijuana seem to be a right of passage for today's youth. Those will disqualify you. The joint/drink is not worth it! It doesn't matter if you got the charges dismissed/dropped, you still aren't free and clear to join. Don't do it in the first place.

3. For the love of God, stop getting tattoos! I had to disqualify four people today alone, and I only worked a half day! If we put you in a V-neck tee shirt and ANYTHING, even one iota of tattoo is showing above the tee shirt... you're done! Girls, those tattoos you're all getting on your necks and behind your ears... they're not worth it! Don't do it! Getting them removed is a long, expensive, and painful process. Please don't get tattoos on your wrists or hands! You can't join with those either!

4. Please, if your doctor puts you on ADHD or ADD medications and you only kinda/sorta need them... why are you on them? That's cause for disqualification. You have to be off them for a year before joining. And don't just stop taking them cuz you found out you have to be off them. Please stop under a doctor's supervision. We will need to see the doctor's notes about your progress coming off the medications. Parents, please don't medicate your children for attention disorders and then come into my office and plead with me about how they didn't really "need" the medication. If it's not needed, don't get the prescription!

5. Please stop having kids at 16 or 17 years old and then trying to join. Wait to have the kids. No single parents allowed.

6. The biggest factor! Please please please watch what you eat and get some exercise. Our weight standards are REALLY REALLY strict!! 6 feet tall? You need to be under 200lbs! It's really awkward when I have to tell you in front of all your friends that came into the office with you that you are 20lbs overweight and you act offended and shocked. I don't make the rules!
Good advice, really, regardless if you want to join the service or not.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:51 PM

910 posts, read 1,081,634 times
The entire DOD is currently working on a total redo of the height, weight standards. However, it could be years before it is completed.

A buddy of mine was an avid weight lifter. Because he was 40 lbs. over the weight requirement he had to have a body fat testing completed every 6 months. It was a complete waste of time as he had no body fat at all. He was just a BIG dude. When we changed over from Dungarees to the Utility uniform he almost had a heart attack. EVERY one of his uniforms had to be custom tailored to fit his arms, neck, and legs.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
The entire DOD is currently working on a total redo of the height, weight standards. However, it could be years before it is completed.

A buddy of mine was an avid weight lifter. Because he was 40 lbs. over the weight requirement he had to have a body fat testing completed every 6 months. It was a complete waste of time as he had no body fat at all. He was just a BIG dude. When we changed over from Dungarees to the Utility uniform he almost had a heart attack. EVERY one of his uniforms had to be custom tailored to fit his arms, neck, and legs.
Each service has it's own standards... In place now. Has been for a very long time...

Do you have a reference on that? I would like to see where "DOD is currently working on a total redo of the height, weight standards."

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/130803p.pdf
Department of Defense INSTRUCTION NUMBER 1308.3
November 5, 2002
SUBJECT: DoD Physical Fitness and Body Fat Programs Procedures

Quote:
5.4. The Military Services
shall:
5.4.1. Develop and maintain physical fitness programs through the testing of personnel, regardless of age, for fitness based upon Service-appropriate standards.

5.4.2. Conduct physical fitness training that:

Old 02-21-2016, 12:48 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times
So, a college grad with no tattoos, no children, a 75 on her ASVAB, no psych meds, #4 in a HS graduating class of 187, a 3.8 college GPA, and a desire to serve in the Air Force, would be disqualified because they currently have a low credit score?

I am describing one of my kids who has credit issues because they were given credit cards the minute they entered college, and fell into some problems.

(I agree with all of the other rules - and I am sick of seeing people who are un-wed parents, covered with tats that you can see, in some other branches)

Old 02-21-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
So, a college grad with no tattoos, no children, a 75 on her ASVAB, no psych meds, #4 in a HS graduating class of 187, a 3.8 college GPA, and a desire to serve in the Air Force, would be disqualified because they currently have a low credit score?

I am describing one of my kids who has credit issues because they were given credit cards the minute they entered college, and fell into some problems.

(I agree with all of the other rules - and I am sick of seeing people who are un-wed parents, covered with tats that you can see, in some other branches)
Nope. Credit score doesn't matter for joining the Air Force...not one iota. Now, if there are late payments and collections- yes, said person would be disqualified. They showed a lack of responsibility and judgement. But, it can be impossible to get a security clearance with credit issues (temptation to sell information for money), so we have no need for that person if we can't utilize them. We don't issue security clearances, another entity does, so we must abide.

If said person cleans up their credit and can show that all payments are current and nothing is collections, they past late payments can be waived provided their debt/credit ratio is under 40% for the rank they will have when they first start serving.

It's not a show-stopper, we just may have to do a waiver.

Additionally, people in the Air Force can easily get credit and home loans based on the fact that the Air Force makes us pay our bills and has little tolerance for credit irresponsibility. Bringing someone in who is at odds with that reputation will ruin it for the rest of us.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:53 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times
Quote:
Nope. Credit score doesn't matter for joining the Air Force...not one iota. Now, if there are late payments and collections- yes, said person would be disqualified. They showed a lack of responsibility and judgement. But, it can be impossible to get a security clearance with credit issues (temptation to sell information for money), so we have no need for that person if we can't utilize them. We don't issue security clearances, another entity does, so we must abide.

If said person cleans up their credit and can show that all payments are current and nothing is collections, they past late payments can be waived provided their debt/credit ratio is under 40% for the rank they will have when they first start serving.

Additionally, people in the Air Force can easily get credit and home loans based on the fact that the Air Force makes us pay our bills and has little tolerance for credit irresponsibility. Bringing someone in who is at odds with that reputation will ruin it for the rest of us.
Thank you. She has some credit card issues from cards that she obtained at college. No bankruptcy. But I am concerned that she could have a charge off. She is embarrassed about this.

I am personally against the way credit cards are handed out to undergrad students, who can be tempted to use them in an inappropriate way. In her case, she did not want to ask us for money. She was not being sneaky. She has good character. She did not want to disappoint us.

She can improve her credit. But, won't the "charge off" be forever? I know there are legit ways to clean up her credit. We will work will her on this.

I have further found out, that her GPA in a competitive 4 year college is a 4.0.

If she were to enlist in the Air Force now, what would be her debt to college? When she graduates, would she be an officer automatically, after training?

Thanks very much. I attempted to give you a rep point, but I wasn't able to to so now. Catch you later. Are you a USAF recruiter? If so, you are welcome to contact me.

Warren.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Thank you. She has some credit card issues from cards that she obtained at college. No bankruptcy. But I am concerned that she could have a charge off. She is embarrassed about this.

I am personally against the way credit cards are handed out to undergrad students, who can be tempted to use them in an inappropriate way. In her case, she did not want to ask us for money. She was not being sneaky. She has good character. She did not want to disappoint us.

She can improve her credit. But, won't the "charge off" be forever? I know there are legit ways to clean up her credit. We will work will her on this.

I have further found out, that her GPA in a competitive 4 year college is a 4.0.

If she were to enlist in the Air Force now, what would be her debt to college? When she graduates, would she be an officer automatically, after training?

Thanks very much. I attempted to give you a rep point, but I wasn't able to to so now. Catch you later. Are you a USAF recruiter? If so, you are welcome to contact me.

Warren.

I am a USAF Recruiter and I try to help answer questions in an unbiased manner. I'm not making "goal" off of you or her, so no reason to mislead (not that we do that these days, but you get the point).

There is no action she can take to remove the charge off. The commander gets to decide if the charge off needs a waiver or not, his/her discretion. If everything else looks good, the commander can review the credit and say no waiver is needed. If he wants a waiver, she will just have to write a statement explaining the circumstances around it, the lessons she learned, and that she can't repeat the behvior in the Air Force. It should be easy to get approve.

If one ENLISTS, they will never automatically becoming an officer. Enlisting and getting commissioned (becoming an officer) are two totally different processes.

1. Enlisted- take the ASVAB test.
2. Officer- take the much harder AFOQT test

1. Enlisted- Only requires a High school diploma
2. Officer- requires at least a bachelor's degree- but a bachelors degree doesn't mean an automatic commissioning (What we call it when we make you an officer)

1. Enlisted- less pay and less responsbilitiy. Worker bee. Technitian. Gets to "DO" the job. Follower.
2. Officer- more pay, more responsibility, instantly in "command" of enlisted personnel. Manager/leader.

1. Enlisted- Not competitive. If you qualify and want to join, you can join.
2. Officer- VERY competitive. GPA, letters of recommendation, interview, and many get rejected and are offered enlistments.

I've had my bachelor's degree for almost 10 years, perfect 4.0, but I'm not an officer. I'll always remain enlisted. I'm happy as enlisted because of my rank and seniority I get to supervise and lead now. The officer side of the house is more political, and I have no desire to start back at the bottom (bottom of the officer side vs top of the enlisted side).

The even have two separate recruiters. Recruiters either recruiter officers, OR enlisted.

What is her major? STEM degrees make people more competitive. If it's liberal arts, history, etc, she wont' be very competitive unless she wants to be "rated," which means to fly (Pilot, Navigator/CSO, Air Battle Manager/ABM)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues