Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:33 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times

Advertisements

OK people- I haven't been recruiting that long, but I feel like I do nothing but break hearts all day. I have to turn away so many people who desperately want to join. People seem to think that joining the military is almost a right, and that we'll just take anyone. This week alone I've had people leave my office in tears because the Air Force was their dream and they went and got themselves disqualified.

I wanted to post a quick list of the most common things I'm seeing "on the street" that are disqualifying people from the Air Force, and breaking hearts.

1. Do not pay anything late! If you are having crazy financial issues, talk to your lenders and see what you can do. Late payments that have been reported disqualify you from the Air Force. We will check your credit. That late payment last year, yeah, it can disqualify you.

2. Please don't commit a crime. Drinking and driving and possession of marijuana seem to be a right of passage for today's youth. Those will disqualify you. The joint/drink is not worth it! It doesn't matter if you got the charges dismissed/dropped, you still aren't free and clear to join. Don't do it in the first place.

3. For the love of God, stop getting tattoos! I had to disqualify four people today alone, and I only worked a half day! If we put you in a V-neck tee shirt and ANYTHING, even one iota of tattoo is showing above the tee shirt... you're done! Girls, those tattoos you're all getting on your necks and behind your ears... they're not worth it! Don't do it! Getting them removed is a long, expensive, and painful process. Please don't get tattoos on your wrists or hands! You can't join with those either!

4. Please, if your doctor puts you on ADHD or ADD medications and you only kinda/sorta need them... why are you on them? That's cause for disqualification. You have to be off them for a year before joining. And don't just stop taking them cuz you found out you have to be off them. Please stop under a doctor's supervision. We will need to see the doctor's notes about your progress coming off the medications. Parents, please don't medicate your children for attention disorders and then come into my office and plead with me about how they didn't really "need" the medication. If it's not needed, don't get the prescription!

5. Please stop having kids at 16 or 17 years old and then trying to join. Wait to have the kids. No single parents allowed.

6. The biggest factor! Please please please watch what you eat and get some exercise. Our weight standards are REALLY REALLY strict!! 6 feet tall? You need to be under 200lbs! It's really awkward when I have to tell you in front of all your friends that came into the office with you that you are 20lbs overweight and you act offended and shocked. I don't make the rules!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
OK people- I haven't been recruiting that long, but I feel like I do nothing but break hearts all day. I have to turn away so many people who desperately want to join. People seem to think that joining the military is almost a right, and that we'll just take anyone. This week alone I've had people leave my office in tears because the Air Force was their dream and they went and got themselves disqualified.

I wanted to post a quick list of the most common things I'm seeing "on the street" that are disqualifying people from the Air Force, and breaking hearts.

1. Do not pay anything late! If you are having crazy financial issues, talk to your lenders and see what you can do. Late payments that have been reported disqualify you from the Air Force. We will check your credit. That late payment last year, yeah, it can disqualify you.

2. Please don't commit a crime. Drinking and driving and possession of marijuana seem to be a right of passage for today's youth. Those will disqualify you. The joint/drink is not worth it! It doesn't matter if you got the charges dismissed/dropped, you still aren't free and clear to join. Don't do it in the first place.

3. For the love of God, stop getting tattoos! I had to disqualify four people today alone, and I only worked a half day! If we put you in a V-neck tee shirt and ANYTHING, even one iota of tattoo is showing above the tee shirt... you're done! Girls, those tattoos you're all getting on your necks and behind your ears... they're not worth it! Don't do it! Getting them removed is a long, expensive, and painful process. Please don't get tattoos on your wrists or hands! You can't join with those either!

4. Please, if your doctor puts you on ADHD or ADD medications and you only kinda/sorta need them... why are you on them? That's cause for disqualification. You have to be off them for a year before joining. And don't just stop taking them cuz you found out you have to be off them. Please stop under a doctor's supervision. We will need to see the doctor's notes about your progress coming off the medications. Parents, please don't medicate your children for attention disorders and then come into my office and plead with me about how they didn't really "need" the medication. If it's not needed, don't get the prescription!

5. Please stop having kids at 16 or 17 years old and then trying to join. Wait to have the kids. No single parents allowed.

6. The biggest factor! Please please please watch what you eat and get some exercise. Our weight standards are REALLY REALLY strict!! 6 feet tall? You need to be under 200lbs! It's really awkward when I have to tell you in front of all your friends that came into the office with you that you are 20lbs overweight and you act offended and shocked. I don't make the rules!
Good information; when I recruited the biggest issues I faced were disqualifications due to medical, appitude, weight and law violations.

Hopefully applicants will take your advice to heart.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:19 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
3. For the love of God, stop getting tattoos!

4. Please, if your doctor puts you on ADHD or ADD medications and you only kinda/sorta need them... why are you on them?

Parents, please don't medicate your children for attention disorders and then come into my office and plead with me about how they didn't really "need" the medication. If it's not needed, don't get the prescription!

5. Please stop having kids at 16 or 17 years old and then trying to join. Wait to have the kids.
All advice that should be like saying "don't chew hot glass," but - as you have experienced...there are far too many insanely stupid people out there. Scary eh?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Great info. I wonder how many HS students intentionally participate in bad behavior thinking they can do whatever they want as they're going into the military anyway? I'm thinking their mindset is "why pay this bill?" "DUI? Sucks but whatever!" lol

Old 07-31-2010, 07:34 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
I know times have changed and the standards of getting into the military are more strict....

But just remember that not less than 5 years ago....you could walk in, and be put in the military....hell the Army even said, we don't care if you do not have a HS diploma, you can get it while your in....

oh, you have a criminal record...come on in...

oh your over weight...come on in...

you have mental problems...come on in....

Anyway, I wish the advice you have given, would spread like wildfire throughout the teens of today....those star tats behind the ears and on the arms are just plain dumb....if you have them, well that's my opinion....

BTW I have 4 tats...but you cannot see them, 23 on my upper arms...and one around my ankle...but they cannot be seen, even if i'm in a short sleeve shirt....

Old 07-31-2010, 08:07 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
OH YEAH!!! I can't tell you, probably 50-60 people in the month that I have been there have tried to join with a GED.

GET A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA!!!! The Air Force does NOT recognize or accept a GED! You must get 15 college credits to prove that you can succeed in school if you have a GED. People look at me like I've grown 4 eyes when they find out they have to go to college first. It's only 5 classes, but still. Just stay in High School.

One girl actually came in and told me that he got the GED on purpose, instead of a high school diploma, because she wanted to join the Air Force, and could get the GED faster. She made that choice! Now she has to go for 2 semesters of college first!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Completely different lifestyle of teens growing up now...for lack of better words "useless" most of them anyway....

Right now my son is 9 years old...guess what...he cuts the grass...with a push mower...how many teens even know what a push mower is???

Old 07-31-2010, 08:52 AM

226 posts, read 560,044 times
So do they allow service members to get tattoos after joining?

My brother-in-law was in Vietnam. During his tour of duties, that's when he acquired all of his tatoos. No longer acceptable?

Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05chevy View Post
So do they allow service members to get tattoos after joining?
There are regulations for the services. It is part of the Army dress code, can not speak for the other services as they may vary.

Regulation Excerpts from Army Regulation 670–1 This may be outdated:
Quote:
e. Tattoo policy
(1) Tattoos or brands anywhere on the head, face, and neck above the class A uniform
collar are prohibited.

(2) Tattoos or brands that are extremist, indecent, sexist, or racist are prohibited,
regardless of location on the body, as they are prejudicial to good order and discipline
within units.

(a) Extremist tattoos or brands are those affiliated with, depicting, or symbolizing
extremist philosophies, organizations, or activities. Extremist philosophies,
organizations, and activities are those which advocate racial, gender or ethnic
hatred or intolerance; advocate, create, or engage in illegal discrimination based
on race, color, gender, ethnicity, religion, or national origin; or advocate violence
or other unlawful means of depriving individual rights under the U.S.
Constitution, Federal, or State law (see para 4– 12, AR 600– 20).

(b) Indecent tattoos or brands are those that are grossly offensive to modesty,
decency, or propriety; shock the moral sense because of their vulgar, filthy, or
disgusting nature or tendency to incite lustful thought; or tend reasonably to
corrupt morals or incite libidinous thoughts.

(c) Sexist tattoos or brands are those that advocate a philosophy that degrades or
demeans a person based on gender, but that may not meet the same definition of
“ i n d e c e n t . ”

(d) Racist tattoos or brands are those that advocate a philosophy that degrades or
demeans a person based on race, ethnicity, or national origin.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-22-2015 at 01:27 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,122 times
Wow...some requirements have changed (added). The credit check was not even on the list when I joined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues