U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2009, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
1,229 posts, read 2,548,963 times
Reputation: 1074

Advertisements

We had a pretty strict "no cammies in public", policy, in the Marines. Not sure if it's changed, but, I remember seeing one or two guys getting chewed out in public, when I was in. The exceptions were supermarkets if a Marine needed to get some family stuff, gas stations, banks, etc. Pretty narrow and strictly defined, which helps discipline.

Contrast this with these s*** bags I see around Ft. Jackson, although I'm sure few of them are what I would call "real soldiers". A few of our friends are full time Army, on the base (all drill sergeants), and none of them wander around out in public in their BDU's. Someone wants people in public to see them in uniform, then it should be service uniforms, not cammies.

Just my $.02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 AM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,566,856 times
Reputation: 2057
it's even stricter now. No cammies, anywhere. Not even gas stations, or daycare/school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
We had a pretty strict "no cammies in public", policy, in the Marines. Not sure if it's changed, but, I remember seeing one or two guys getting chewed out in public, when I was in. The exceptions were supermarkets if a Marine needed to get some family stuff, gas stations, banks, etc. Pretty narrow and strictly defined, which helps discipline.

Contrast this with these s*** bags I see around Ft. Jackson, although I'm sure few of them are what I would call "real soldiers". A few of our friends are full time Army, on the base (all drill sergeants), and none of them wander around out in public in their BDU's. Someone wants people in public to see them in uniform, then it should be service uniforms, not cammies.

Just my $.02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 01:03 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Reputation: 9894
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Yes; they also say "do not dryclean"...What's the worst about the reasoning for not having the shoulder pockets is to retain the tradition of stripes on the sleeve. I'm guessing 20% of the air force wear flightsuits, they don't have any stripes on their sleeves. I truely feel we should all wear flightsuits anyways; think I'm alone in my beliefs...
As someone who started his career in the old cotton fatigues, I sure miss the days of patch-filled utility uniforms (i.e. Command & wing patches along with your AFSC badge and maybe a "Master Technician" or "Master Crew Chief" Badge thrown in. And, briefly, I even wore a "Rapid Deployment Force" patch... JagMan, IMHO flight suits are for those who fly as aircrew members. Actually, I found the BDUs much more suited for the flightline (especially since I could remove my shirt when it was hot on the ramp)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 02:09 PM
 
2,190 posts, read 6,772,218 times
Reputation: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
As someone who started his career in the old cotton fatigues, I sure miss the days of patch-filled utility uniforms (i.e. Command & wing patches along with your AFSC badge and maybe a "Master Technician" or "Master Crew Chief" Badge thrown in. And, briefly, I even wore a "Rapid Deployment Force" patch... JagMan, IMHO flight suits are for those who fly as aircrew members. Actually, I found the BDUs much more suited for the flightline (especially since I could remove my shirt when it was hot on the ramp)
I wonder if you found an advertiser to pay you to advertise their patch, would anyone notice on the patch filled uniform? Maybe a "drink pepsi" patch, lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2009, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Mclean, VA
47 posts, read 65,310 times
Reputation: 55
Personally... I think someone wearing a uni in public is looking for attention, whether it be negative or positive. I view it in the same regard as a police officer wearing his side arm and badge with his civilian clothes. I'll get railed for this, but I honestly think anyone wearing Camo outside of war (or being a redneck) is completely stupid. YES you should be proud that you've given up so much for so little, but consider the fact that much of the coastline America views most American action since WWII as completely disgusting. The only people in the Army since Vietnam are there by choice... Mod deleted; NO obscenities... I'm coming off as a troll.. but I honestly don't care.. flame away

Last edited by Crew Chief; 06-21-2009 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Wherever I want to be... ;)
2,539 posts, read 8,563,766 times
Reputation: 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by cville<>centerville View Post
Personally... I think someone wearing a uni in public is looking for attention, whether it be negative or positive. I view it in the same regard as a police officer wearing his side arm and badge with his civilian clothes. I'll get railed for this, but I honestly think anyone wearing Camo outside of war (or being a redneck) is completely stupid. YES you should be proud that you've given up so much for so little, but consider the fact that much of the coastline America views most American action since WWII as completely disgusting. The only people in the Army since Vietnam are there by choice... and their choice is often viewed as simply a reason "to kick me some towel head ass!!!"
Your post basically mimics exactly what I was going to write too.

I worked for a company once that gave entry discounts (it was a theme park) to people in the military sometimes, but there were requirements. Soldiers would come dressed in full camo combat gear, demanding a hefty discount and pulling a fit about '__ company not supporting the troops!' and such if they didn't qualify. It was pathetic. The sad thing is that I witnessed it happen more times than I could count. So people working at the ticket sales / guest relations areas would come to realize that someone walking up in military gear = a pain in the a$$. Usually the soldiers would be white, male and Southern it was noticed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Reputation: 9894
Cville<>Centerville & Thepinksquid, believe what ya wanna believe. Just remember that those who wear the uniforms of our military do so to guarantee your right to free speech...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2009, 02:15 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
1,229 posts, read 2,548,963 times
Reputation: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Your post basically mimics exactly what I was going to write too.

I worked for a company once that gave entry discounts (it was a theme park) to people in the military sometimes, but there were requirements. Soldiers would come dressed in full camo combat gear, demanding a hefty discount and pulling a fit about '__ company not supporting the troops!' and such if they didn't qualify. It was pathetic. The sad thing is that I witnessed it happen more times than I could count. So people working at the ticket sales / guest relations areas would come to realize that someone walking up in military gear = a pain in the a$$. Usually the soldiers would be white, male and Southern it was noticed...
A bit OT, but, this jogged my memory. A fireman in my home town of Rochester, NY, did the same thing. Here I was working two jobs and going to school after serving in the Marines, and some idiot from the city fire dept. had a hissy fit in the store I worked at on weekends, 'cause I told him, "No, we don't have a discount for firefighters, here...". No doubt your typical union hack who thinks that just because Sept. 11th happened, all of a sudden we're supposed to lay roses in front of the guy and give him discounts at his every beck and call.

Some people will never be happy, and many these days think they deserve special treatment.

My attitude (4 years Marine Corps, combat experience, etc.), is, please leave your tree suit/work uniform/whatever for wear on base. Out in town wear of that stuff should only be in case of emergency. Not my problem somebody didn't plan ahead, etc. Also, not my problem somebody decided to start a family while in the service, as the entitlement mentality seems to be high amongst many who live off the military dole (productive and honorable servicemembers, excluded). Folks (particularly civilians) shouldn't have to see a sea of tree suits at a day care center, in fact I would imagine it would be a point of concern for many service folks, as well. Some of the least productive, whiney Marines I met were the ones with families, and they were often times the worst offenders of basic policies/rules, uniform rules included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2009, 04:03 AM
 
Location: Wherever I want to be... ;)
2,539 posts, read 8,563,766 times
Reputation: 1955
One thing I should have probably mentioned was that I do know personally many great service men and women, and probably the worst thing to come is that stereotyping some of the 'bad eggs' is detrimental to those who deserve it, and aren't abusing the privilege of their uniform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2009, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Tioga County
513 posts, read 1,853,324 times
Reputation: 490
From what I've seen over the years, a lot depends on circumstances , especially-location. I live in a rural area..but not near any major military facility. I suppose I could wear my last issued set of BDU's, boots , cover, etc...and folks around here would probably care less ..probably wouldn't even know it's not the current uniform. That being said, there are a fair number of former full/part time military in this part of upstate. It's not unusual to see some guy out working around his place wearing some leftover issue cover..or boots..etc...Doesn't bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top