Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,698,779 times

Advertisements

I'll just add...I don't wear my uniform in public because I'm looking for attention...I try to do my shopping and errands during my lunch hours vs after work or weekends. If a surprise comes up, I usually try to take care of it after work. I find this works well for me. After I come home, I usually take off my top, keep the tee shirt on and throw on shorts. Basically saves a little bit of water, electricity and wear and tear on the Washer and drier...It's also being a little more green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:32 AM

571 posts, read 1,317,625 times
Default Army ACus worn everywhere!

What's with the Army permitting ACU's (Army Combat Uniform - the new "dusty" pattern) to be worn everywhere on all occasions? Todays paper had photos of a returning soldier from the 1st Cav. at a party at his grandparents and he and a buddy were wearing their ACU with a Cavalry stetson. I have seen soldiers at city parks with their kids playing and the soldiers are in ACUs. I have been in two State-wide ceremonies recently where the Army types wore the ACU when the Service uniform ( with gold buttons) would have been more appropriate. Not to mention parades.
I can't remember when I last saw a soldier with the dark green pants and lime green shirt w/ shoulder tabs.
Of course in every airport you can see troops in ACU's even though they are not on their way home from the Middle East.
The Army is changing from the Green AG44 service uniform to a copy of the Dress Blue uniform. Maybe they should save the money since no one will wear it anyway. Everyone is in in the "work clothes" of the ACU - what we used to call "utilities" or "Fatigues".

Old 06-28-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
What's with the Army permitting ACU's (Army Combat Uniform - the new "dusty" pattern) to be worn everywhere on all occasions? Todays paper had photos of a returning soldier from the 1st Cav. at a party at his grandparents and he and a buddy were wearing their ACU with a Cavalry stetson. I have seen soldiers at city parks with their kids playing and the soldiers are in ACUs. I have been in two State-wide ceremonies recently where the Army types wore the ACU when the Service uniform ( with gold buttons) would have been more appropriate. Not to mention parades.
I can't remember when I last saw a soldier with the dark green pants and lime green shirt w/ shoulder tabs.
Of course in every airport you can see troops in ACU's even though they are not on their way home from the Middle East.
The Army is changing from the Green AG44 service uniform to a copy of the Dress Blue uniform. Maybe they should save the money since no one will wear it anyway. Everyone is in in the "work clothes" of the ACU - what we used to call "utilities" or "Fatigues".
What you're saying is you disapprove troops wearing their uniform in public (other than official travel)? I don't know the army's wear policy, if it's ok to wear it then I say it's marketing and makes life a little easier on the solider.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 PM

571 posts, read 1,317,625 times
I certainly do approve of U.S. Army personnel wearing uniforms in public. The question is which uniform? The ACU is supposed to be only allowed to be worn in travel from the middle East to their home station otherwise they are supposed to wear the Service Uniform (AG44 dark green pants and coat with gold buttons). And since when does a desk job as a full-time National Guard soldier in an office building warrant wearing a "combat" uniform?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
From Deputy Chief of Staff, Army G1:
Uniform Policy - Army G-1 Human Resources

Change to the Army Combat Uniform (ACU), Battle Dress Uniform (BDU), and Desert Battle Dress Uniform (DBDU) Wear Policy - PDF 1,024 Kb
3. ACU ENSEMBLE ALARACT MESSAGE DTG 202200Z APR 05 PARAGRAPH SA IS CHANGED TO READ: THE NEW ACU IS A COMBAT UNIFORM DESIGNED TO BE WORN UNDER BODY ARMOR. THE UNIFORM IS PRESCRIBED FOR YEAR-ROUNDWEAR FOR ALL SOLDIERS, UNLESS OTHERWISE DIRECTED BY THE COMMANDER. SOLDIERS MAY WEAR THE ACU OFF POST UNLESS PROHIBITED BY THE COMMANDER. SOLDIERS MAY WEAR THE ACUs FOR COMMERCIAL TRAVEL, UNLESS OTHERWISE DIRECTED BY THE COMMANDER. THE WEAR POLICY REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR SOLDIERS PARTICIPATING IN THE REST AND RECUPERATION PROGRAM. PERSONNEL WILL NOT WEAR THE ACU IN OFF-POST ESTABLISHMENTS THAT PRIMARILY SELL ALCOHOL. IF THE OFF-POST ESTABLISHMENT SELLS ALCOHOL AND FOOD, SOLDIERS MAY NOT WEAR THE ACU IF THEIR ACTIVITIES IN THE ESTABLISHMENT CENTER ON DRINKING ALCOHOL. THE ACU IS NOT NORMALLY CONSIDERED APPROPRIATE FOR SOCIAL OR OFFICIAL FUNCTIONS OFF THE INSTALLATION, SUCH AS MEMORIAL SERVICES, FUNERALS, WEDDINGS, INAUGURALS, PATRIOTIC CEREMONIES, ETC. THE ACU IS A COMBAT UNIFORMAND IS NOT INTENDED FOR WEAR AS AN ALL-PURPOSE UNIFORMWHEN OTHER UNIFORMS (CLASS A OR B, DRESS, ANDMESS UNIFORM) ARE MORE APPROPRIATE. THE COMMANDER MAY PRESCRIBE ORGANIZATIONAL AND INDIVIDUAL EQUIPMENT ITEMS lAW CTA 50-900 WHEN THE ACU IS PRESCRIBED FOR PARADES, REVIEWS AND CEREMONIES. THE COMMANDER MAY AUTHORIZE THE WEAR OF SUBDUED ...... (continues on)

Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,331,607 times
i think they're a little less concerned about dresssing up these days.

i just wish they would police up some of these guys that end up on TV (where are the NCOs?)

i was watching a race (Mid Ohio, Koni Challenge) and they zoomed in on two guys with ACUs wearing patrol caps (oops) and one had his sunglasses perched on the top of his headgear (big oops)

the ACU wear just provides a visual reminder that we are "a nation at war" and you'll be hard pressed to put anyone back in the Class B or Class A for a while -- desk rangers included

Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 AM

522 posts, read 1,855,149 times
I dont like seeing Soldiers (or any military member) wearing their ACUs out in public. Probalby the biggest reason is because when I see them, they are usually acting a fool or their uniform is totally jacked the heck up.

For instance, I'll be at the mall and I'll see groups of soldiers walking like thugs, their trousers hanging over their boots, and them talking to each other like they're back on the block (using slang, cursing, etc). You're representing the military and supposedly a professional and it doesn't show when you act like a douche bag.

My friend is in the Army and he said the reason why Soldiers are allowed to be out and about with their ACUs is because they want to show the American People that Soldiers are out there and they're safe. Well that's fine, but when I see retards in uniform I think to myself, these are the guys fighting in our interest?

In the Marine Corps, we are not allowed to wear our MCCUUs (Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform) outside base unless it's an emergency. But you'll never see a Marine (or shouldnt) out in public with their uniform. Rarely you'll have Marines fly back on a commercial flight from overseas into a commercial airport wearing the uniform but I'm sure they had to get permission beforehand. If Marines need to be in uniform out in public they'll be wearing either their service uniform (green trousers) or dress uniform (blue trousers) which is more commonly seen with recruiters.

Last edited by usmcmotort; 06-29-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 06-29-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
I certainly do approve of U.S. Army personnel wearing uniforms in public. The question is which uniform? The ACU is supposed to be only allowed to be worn in travel from the middle East to their home station otherwise they are supposed to wear the Service Uniform (AG44 dark green pants and coat with gold buttons). And since when does a desk job as a full-time National Guard soldier in an office building warrant wearing a "combat" uniform?
I'm unique in that I think service dress serves zero purpose and that we should get rid of them...We are military and while chances are very slim, we are a target...In a bomb blows up weather via an attack or a base accidnt and one is sitting in their desk in their service dress, it's going to be difficult for them to help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
You're representing the military and supposedly a professional and it doesn't show when you act like a douche bag
I think that's a big problem. I would rank less than 1% of the 100s of military members I've had extended interacted with as professionals...Why should we falsely market troops as saints?

Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 AM

522 posts, read 1,855,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I think that's a big problem. I would rank less than 1% of the 100s of military members I've had extended interacted with as professionals...Why should we falsely market troops as saints?
I dont know your background, but as a Marine I take pride in my uniform and my actions; as do other Marines. When I see undisiplined Soldiers in public, and believe me I've seen them do dumb stuff like running around and jumping, hitting on women like they're at the club, sagging their trousers, wearing their patrol cap indoors sideways or something, I mean it's rediculous. And their uniform; when it looks like ass then to me it tells me that they don't pay attention to detail. I equate all of this to work ethic.

How would you feel if you saw law enforcement officers and politicians (well they act a fool all the time) act like that. It wouldn't feel to good.

I mean there has been some argument that military personnel aren't professionals, who cares. I would like them to act respectful and wear their uniform with pride and act accordingly.

Lastly, many kids see these military members (Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airmen) and alot of times their first impression of them is what makes them want to join the military.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:45 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,882,982 times
When I was in the Army, we were not allowed to be in our BDU's (the camo you are talking about is called Battle Dress Uniforms; BDU's) at a bar or nightclub ever. Sometimes CID would go into these offpost bars and check to see if someone was still in their BDU's. You could get in trouble.

And when I lived in Ft. Bragg, no one was allowed in their BDU's after 8pm (when they got released from work for the day). But if you were still on duty that's okay.

It might be different for other branches and duty stations. You just have to check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues