Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:24 PM

5,102 posts, read 6,021,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxmusculus View Post
Aren't they the same without the jacket?
Didn't used to be. The short sleeve shirt (Combination 4A) was not designed to have the collar buttoned and worn with a tie. You had to wear the long sleeve blue shirt with the tie and jacket (Combination 1) I was stationed at Langley and sometimes would drive through the DC area on my way home for the weekend. At the time it wasn't authorized to wear Combo 4A in the DC area (Military District of Washington) except on base. So if I left work in uniform and drove straight through I made sure I didn't stop from Waldorf MD to Baltimore just so no one would possibly catch me in 4As.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 06:32 PM

586 posts, read 827,383 times
Members of our armed forces aren't permitted to wear uniform outside the environs of the base. This is a paraphrased translation as I can't be bothered to write it in full.

If you are attending an official function or representing your service you will be permitted to wear the uniform designated as suitable for the event. From departure to destination you are not permitted to leave your vehicle (unless unavoidable) or if on public transport you are to remain in civilian clothing and change at the event or at a suitable location nearby.

The only time this may change is if you are seconded to a civilian organisation (Police, Gendarmerie, Government department etc.) that requires you to be in public or you receive specific orders to the contrary. Then you are to wear a uniform appropriate to your role. When not on duty you will, if possible and if there is somewhere secure to leave your uniform, get changed before traveling if not to a military residence, otherwise previous statutes apply

It is, as far as I know, quite strictly enforced although I have seen serviceman cross the road from a military establishment to go to a shop (normally a tobacconists) though they do come straight back. Paris seems (or maybe senior officers seem) to have it's own set of rules though as it is not uncommon to see senior ranking officers in the district around the Ministère de la Défense building. I don't know what the minimum rank is that can temporarily countermand the directives is but I do know that my CO at the embassy is a Rear Admiral and he can and on a couple of occasions has.

A colleague and I were granted permission to attend the Remembrance Day ceremony at the Cenotaph in uniform even though we were not part of the Ambassadors party. We had to get a taxi though, we weren't permitted, nor did we fancy, taking the tube in our dress uniforms.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,783,960 times
I've always believed wearing cammies out in town seem tacky. There were Army types around base ( Camp Lejeuene) eating in a restaurant. I am guessing ever Marine around said eatery pulled out their knife hand, only to realize it was only army types. It is unsightly however it is one of the many things that set us apart.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 PM

391 posts, read 1,025,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I've always believed wearing cammies out in town seem tacky. There were Army types around base ( Camp Lejeuene) eating in a restaurant. I am guessing ever Marine around said eatery pulled out their knife hand, only to realize it was only army types. It is unsightly however it is one of the many things that set us apart.
"It is unsightly..." Really?

It might be "unsightly" if a marine type did that and it were against his Corps' regulations. Since a Soldier (local ARNG I'm guessing since Fort Bragg is a long way away) did it, not for sure if it would be "unsightly" since you didn't state they were stretching the bounds of the decorum that their regulations allow.

Take a deep breath and apply some perspective.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:27 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,783,960 times
Unsightly, would be the correct term.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 AM

391 posts, read 1,025,763 times
Umm. No.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,458,067 times
Quote:
Unsightly, would be the correct term.
Agreed! ...just another item in a long list that separate the two!

Old 03-12-2014, 03:00 PM

586 posts, read 827,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
"only army types"....

Last edited by Mr Blue Sky; 03-12-2014 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: ... correction

Old 03-12-2014, 03:38 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,538,661 times

Folks: "Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued." So we do not need to be picking on any military service which is on our side...

Just for general information, the Original Posters question is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Are reservists traveling to and from allowed to stop in there Camos? What are the rules for Airforce Reservists and the usage of camos in public?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:55 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,458,067 times
Quote:
"only army types"....
If it had been Marine types then there would be h3ll to pay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues