U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:10 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,280,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSA View Post
Eh maybe so… maybe not... For Example at my work location, if you fail your test you go on the fat boy program as it’s called.
You guys actually still have a weight management (fat boy) program???? I thought they did away with that when the bike test went away as the mandatory annual PT testing?

Quote:
Were already doing more with less and this doesn’t help. But in about a year it won’t be as bad. “Due to those unfit people being kicked out”.
Don't think much will change....even if they are worthless they are, a body, and the AF has cut back on how many they take in. So in the end there will be even fewer but the work load will be ever bit the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 04:29 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,772,218 times
Quote:
Eh maybe so… maybe not... For Example at my work location, if you fail your test you go on the fat boy program as it’s called. For normal folks PT is at 0700-0800. Then you’re expected to be at work by 0830. Will if you’re on the fat boy program, you come in at 0700 and go to pt at 1200. So those folks leave around 1115 and aren’t expected to come back till 1430-1500. By time they get back/ settled in, they only have about an hour till their off for the day. It might not seem like that much time to those looking in.
But when you’re a small shop, you feel it quite a bit. Example: When you’re trying to juggle people who have appointments, training, on leave, lunch breaks, etc… around to make sure you always have someone here. Those people being gone basically the whole middle of the day, make it that much harder. Were already doing more with less and this doesn’t help. But in about a year it won’t be as bad. “Due to those unfit people being kicked out”. I know physical fitness is important, but right now and as of late. It seems to be the only thing deemed truly important. Something’s not right with that.

Both positives and negatives with the new program. “As is the case with most things in life”. I just shut up and color as the phrase goes.
I agree.

They've effectively turned PT and meal decisions into additional duties. I find it humorous they do it during the "Year of the Family". More time away from your family due to PT time will increase stress for most families.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:54 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,828,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I agree.

They've effectively turned PT and meal decisions into additional duties. I find it humorous they do it during the "Year of the Family". More time away from your family due to PT time will increase stress for most families.
Not to mention the double whammy shift workers and 12 hour watch-standers suffer.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
The problem with the PT test is not having to be physically fit. I think everyone can agree it is better in the long run. The problem is commanders have discretion and all unit are not help to the same standards as others. My unit assumed I would fail the test as I accumilated some weight due to neglect on my part. I started a regimine and lost 20 pounds. I passed my PT test and my commander decided I still should go to Fit Camp as he felt I did not portray a proper military image. While my mirror in my house is not broken and knew I had more work to do I asked him what his standards are. I was told it is preception and the AFI allows it. To date I have lost over 40 pounds and my commander says I look great in uniform. While you would think this is a sucess story, my commander further felt that I must be a 35 inch waiste as this makes me low risk for disease. While I appreciate his concern this is taking the AFI too far. He further has prevented me from going TDY or deploying until i am a 35 inch waiste. This is unfair as this standard is not applied to everyone but just to those the CC preceives is unfit. To add more to this. I have been mandated to work out 8 times in a 5 day work week (all non duty hours). Leadership is scared to confront the commander and tell him it is unfair as they fear they may end up on the program also. The point here is commanders have way too much flexibility on how they determine the PT standards of their unit. AF senior leaders need to standardize the test, make it fair for all and promote a healthy lifestyle instead of the constant threat of seperation, denied promotions, etc.. They only have this leverage as the economy is in bad shape. Once it turns around again the Air Force will relax standards to maintain highly qualified people. Someone has to ask themselves. If an individual does not do their job to a certain measurable standard do they need to attend a work camp on off duty time to improve there skill set? PT is important for everyone but completeing the mission is more important and a logical balance must be maintained or we will soon have physically fit idiots that cannot perform their job.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:43 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,225,911 times
I'm all about fitness but it does sound like your commander is taking things too far. All I can say is to try and reach his goal and then maybe he'll lay off and move on to something else. In my military career I've went head to head with senior leadership when I knew I was right or felt strongly about something and I always ended up regreting it later. You could drop a dime on him but that would only hurt you in the long run. I would reach his goal and stick it in his face; I'm sure he thinks you can't, prove him wrong.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:18 PM

6 posts, read 3,759 times
The Army doesn't have the same program as the Air Force. Until that Army adopts the waist measurement, the Air Force PT test is harder to pass than the Army's. You see, in the Air Force we're not combat troops, we're not Airborne, infantry, we don't take hills! We work on $250 million jets, radar sites ect...we don't get $60K bonus's like some infantry troops do? We have to score higher, because "most" of our jobs are technical, for this reason the standards to enter the Air Force are higher than the Army. Our Promotion is slower, so in a given career a soldier makes more than an Airman, these are things we know and live with, however, trying to turn the Air Force full of Army warriors hurts us were we do best. I don't remember anyone passing out during Desert Shield/Storm? I would rather have that chunky COMNAV/GAC Crew Dog/ Jet Troop that knows how to troubleshoot a $250 million C-17, than the jock that can run all day...we need the smart guys, the army needs the super fit jocks that takes villages with 60lbs sacks attached to them. I get tired of reading threads from Army guys that seem to think the Air Force does the same thing as the Army, we don't!

Last edited by Tacjam; 10-23-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-23-2010, 08:09 PM

It's the new Air Force standard, people need to man-up or get out.

Whining about it rather then taking action to address their fitness problem is pathetic. The AF doesn't need whiners; they need dedicated airmen that "can do".

Old 10-23-2010, 10:04 PM

1,476 posts, read 4,034,292 times
Bottom line the Air Force Fitness test is not hard. Just a little exercise will help you pass. Everyone I have seen fail has deserved to fail.

Bottom line it is not that hard. Must scores should go up under the new system. Mine went up 6 points with the exact same scores as my last test under the old system.

The other sad part is I am 38 and can out score everyone below 21 in my flight. That has been the case for the last few years.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:28 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,772,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
It's the new Air Force standard, people need to man-up or get out.

Whining about it rather then taking action to address their fitness problem is pathetic. The AF doesn't need whiners; they need dedicated airmen that "can do".
The Air Force has historically always whined and complained; other services note that all the time. The majority are whining and do not want to get out. Ultimately there will be people getting out and a loss of talent.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Fair...this ain't kindergarden, it's the military!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues