Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergy View Post
I had a gentlemen at the gas station pay for my gas when he saw my combat veteran hat,I told him he did not have to do it,but he insisted and made my day.
Some years ago my dad (who was a WWII 101st Airborne vet) and I were at an air show at the old El Toro MCAS. There was a demonstration by the Golden Knights. After their jump he ended up in the ice cream line in back of a couple of them. He very quietly opened up his wallet to show them his Screaming Eagles patch which he always carried with him. They talked a bit and he sprung for the ice cream.

One of them came over to me and asked for his name and address. A couple of weeks later a Golden Knights poster came in the mail, inscribed to him and signed by them.

That made his day! He hung it in his entryway and it was the first thing you saw when you walked in the door.

BTW: I always thank anyone I see wearing the uniform. I have two Vietnam Vet brothers who never got their due when they served. I am SO glad things have changed in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 01:46 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
It's nice, but sometimes a little awkward. I just thank them right back.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:25 PM

431 posts, read 928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Couldnt agree more, I appreciate them noticing and taking time to thank me. But it always leaves me feeling a little weird. Don’t really know what to say. Normally just go with, no problem and thank them for thanking me ha.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:31 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
My, how times have changed.

When I served ( 65-67) the only guys who came up and thanked you were older men who hung around the bus depot.

They would state they also served in the same branch you did, then ask you for a few $$$.

Yup, scrufty ,street,panhandlers, were about the only ones .

Old 08-26-2010, 06:47 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
A few years ago I was at a store while in uniform. An older woman approached me and thanked me for my service. She had tears in her eyes and I have a real soft spot for senior citizens. I responded, as I do everytime I am thanked "It is my pleasure to serve" which is the God's honest truth. That made her tear up even more. LOL. But they were good tears, I guess, so it was okay.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
I never saw an outpouring of thanks until say 10 or so years ago (911?). No one would know I ever served unless maybe the subject came up. I had a little job in the AF, but was proud to serve nonetheless. When there is a reason for thanking me, I proudly say "your welcome" and I always thank a veteran myself for his or her service.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 PM

172 posts, read 414,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Ditto to this. It always made me a little uncomfortable. I didn't choose to serve for any kind of recognition. Now I am out, but my husband is still it. I sat next to a woman on a flight who knows nothing about the military, but watches the TV show Army Wives. Oh my goodness. That was quite a flight. She "sympathized" with me (again - I married my husband because I love him, not because I wanted a special title, well, other than Mrs. ) and asked me a ton of questions. At least I was able to clear up some misconceptions for her! lol

Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
I often see military people dressed in military get up at the mall, restaurants, etc.

Was wondering if you guys like it when people come up to you and thank you or if you just like to be left alone?
It was weird at first because before the wars and 9/11 nobody did that stuff. Now it's not uncommon and I've sort of gotten used to it. It doesn't go unappreciated them letting us know we're appreciated. Funny how it becomes symbiotic appreciation.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:56 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I'm not actually military, but a lot of people assume I'm a military veteran. (No idea why, I guess they assume blind must mean blinded in Iraq.) Obviously it's awkward since I'm not actually military and they're thanking me for something I never did.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 AM

958 posts, read 2,132,455 times
Back in the 60s I remember my dad alwas being in his fatigues or it seemed so.
I also remember him coming home home from his second tour in Vietnam in 68 and the insults names and the general disrespect he indured in silence.

As an eight year old boy seeing my dad go through that and he never said anything in responce, he just seemed to walk a little taller.

Maybe after five combat tours between Korea and Vietnam he didn't feel those who taunted him deserved the satisfaction of being noticed by him.

Like my dad I too served but in the Navy and both of us have been approached and thanked for our service.
It's humbly recieved and a thank you is returned but it has a different meaning for both of us.

For dad it brings back memories of those friends he lost in both conflicts, it shows in his face and tone of voice.

For me, I served during a time of peace having never experienced the horrors of war. So I feel the very least I can do is thank those who have served.
When I see a man wearing a ball cap that says Vietnam Vet I will always extend a welcome home also.

Thanks and welcome home to all who have served!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues