Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:53 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times

Advertisements

im thinking of army and or reserves for weekends im taking up early childhood education i have 65 college credits, i train in boxing

what kinda pay should i expect and what kind of training should i expect basic training i mean.

what are the pros and cons of both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:33 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
What are our expectations and goals; we'll tell you if it's realistic?

Old 08-26-2010, 04:42 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
im thinking of army and or reserves for weekends im taking up early childhood education i have 65 college credits, i train in boxing

what kinda pay should i expect and what kind of training should i expect basic training i mean.

what are the pros and cons of both
I recommend to everyone look into the ROTC program, they pay you and your tuition to attend the college of your choosing and become an officer. It's available for every service except the Coast Guard. Army officers do not have it easy. ROTC is the best deal, and many consider the Air Force as the most "relaxed" branch. It's super competitive to become an officer in the Air Force except for one way, ROTC...If you're willing to move out of state there's always somewhere with shortages...

Old 08-27-2010, 05:03 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I recommend to everyone look into the ROTC program, they pay you and your tuition to attend the college of your choosing and become an officer. It's available for every service except the Coast Guard. Army officers do not have it easy. ROTC is the best deal, and many consider the Air Force as the most "relaxed" branch. It's super competitive to become an officer in the Air Force except for one way, ROTC...If you're willing to move out of state there's always somewhere with shortages...
Army ROTC is a great deal overall to get you leadership training and practical experience difficult to get anywhere else but the other services or service academies. Plus, if it's done correctly, it's honestly a lot of fun.

However, caveat here-at least for the Army, NOT every cadet gets a scholarship. I repeat: NOT every cadet gets a scholarship.

It's a competitive process-the prospective cadet must apply, be interviewed by a Professor of Military Science (the senior cadre member in 'command'/charge of an ROTC Battalion) and often boarded, and the best scholars/athletes/leaders, GPA, SAT, etc.-a whole-person concept-may be offered a scholarship.

Of those who are selected, some get 4-year scholarships, some get 3 and they have to figure out how to do the other year, some get 2, and some get dedicated Guard/Reserve (meaning when they commission, they must serve their committment in the Guard and Reserve-you can't take money and go full time active duty). Scholarships either cover full tuition-yes, to ANYWHERE you can get in that has an Army ROTC program and a host of partnership schools that drill at a hosting ROTC Battalion, or room and board cost (just the cost-you can still live off campus); if you had another scholarship covering tuition or were an in-state student, perhaps room and board would be a better deal.

EVERY contracted cadet (contracting means they have committed formally to accept a commission) gets a stipend-starts at about $300 a month and goes up every year until you get about $500 a month, and those who don't have a scholarship often have other options involving the reserves-they can also join the Guard/Reserves and drill for pay, plus a host of other Guard/Reserve bennies (for instance, your state may offer free tuition, or you may be eligible for Reserve GI Bill).

Finally, you have the cadets like I was back in the 90s-I was a non-scholarship cadet who didn't drill. I just ground through the program, contracted, and commissioned on the stipend and my own funds because I wanted to lead soldiers.

If you want more information, DM me.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:56 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Just be sure to do something no matter what, can help you on the outside....

Old 08-28-2010, 10:40 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
thanks......

Old 08-29-2010, 05:56 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,108 times
Here's a practical issue most guys don't consider when thinking about joining the military that I had to explain to my cousin's kid:

Only join the military if you're comfortable with extended periods of celibacy because there's almost no dating options. The service with the best ratio of men to women is the AF and it's literally a 5:1 ratio in raw numbers. The other services are moderately to significantly worse. On top of that many are officers and off limits, married, and/or just not attractive. The obesity epidemic is starting to take its toll on the military as well. And if a guy goes TDY there's even less women around since most jobs needed for deployments are male dominated. And if he gets deployed for a year (or more) there's basically no dating options. Basically it's like willingly going to prison and hoping you don't get shot or blown up as opposed to being stabbed. If he gets stationed overseas there's a good chance he'll be restricted to living on base and will be stuck with those abysmal gender ratios I mentioned before. And in many countries you can forget about dating the local girls because they hate us overseas in the areas around the basis. Granted the further you get away from the bases the less pronounced the anti-American sentiment gets, or at least that's how it was in the UK.

Where's feminism and gender quotas when you need it?! I'd love it if the military was forced to recruit evenly. Might cut down on a lot of the problems we have with misconduct stemming from competition for the handful of datable women we do have and alcohol related incidents.

As for what job to choose, make sure it's something you'll like the next 25-30 years and can apply to in the civilian world once you get out or retire.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Here's a practical issue most guys don't consider when thinking about joining the military that I had to explain to my cousin's kid:

Only join the military if you're comfortable with extended periods of celibacy because there's almost no dating options. The service with the best ratio of men to women is the AF and it's literally a 5:1 ratio in raw numbers. The other services are moderately to significantly worse. On top of that many are officers and off limits, married, and/or just not attractive. The obesity epidemic is starting to take its toll on the military as well. And if a guy goes TDY there's even less women around since most jobs needed for deployments are male dominated. And if he gets deployed for a year (or more) there's basically no dating options. Basically it's like willingly going to prison and hoping you don't get shot or blown up as opposed to being stabbed. If he gets stationed overseas there's a good chance he'll be restricted to living on base and will be stuck with those abysmal gender ratios I mentioned before. And in many countries you can forget about dating the local girls because they hate us overseas in the areas around the basis. Granted the further you get away from the bases the less pronounced the anti-American sentiment gets, or at least that's how it was in the UK.

Where's feminism and gender quotas when you need it?! I'd love it if the military was forced to recruit evenly. Might cut down on a lot of the problems we have with misconduct stemming from competition for the handful of datable women we do have and alcohol related incidents.
Well I'll be darned, I thought I had heard some of the stupidest reasons to not join the military, but you Nutz76;15670580 have taken the cake with that most unreasonable and so out of context BS I have ever heard....

He kids, don't join the military becasue you will have to go without sex for extended periods of time and you will never find a good woman either around a military base.....WOW.....

Old 08-29-2010, 06:45 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
He kids, don't join the military
Those are YOUR words, not his...

He's perfectly clear that he's recommended the Air Force over the Army.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Those are YOUR words, not his...

He's perfectly clear that he's recommended the Air Force over the Army.
Please explain to me then what these words mean....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Only join the military if you're comfortable with extended periods of celibacy because there's almost no dating options. T

I have highlighted what I was talking about....Just in case you missed it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues