Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 PM

46,189 posts, read 26,935,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I have a GED, and have served honorably in the military for the past nine years. I'm currently working on my degree. Also, I've been serving in the U.S. Coast Guard. Arguably the toughest service to get into...
Are you an officer? If not then there is no need for a response...if you are an officer then please let us know how you entered the military and what waivers you needed to get in the military....

Thank you for the service....But I cannot agree or disagree with you how hard it is to get into....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 08:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,636,890 times
Too bad I speak from experience that there are many dropouts with records who respond to that structured environment. I retired

Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,109,318 times
That is sad. For some people the military is a way to turn their lives around and do something good for the country at the same time. Giving people a chance to pursue their educational goals is a small price to pay. While I was in we were encouraged to pursue college classes. I do not see why a ged or high school class should be any different.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,636,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Are you an officer? If not then there is no need for a response...if you are an officer then please let us know how you entered the military and what waivers you needed to get in the military....

Thank you for the service....But I cannot agree or disagree with you how hard it is to get into....
In Vietnam an E-6 or above in my MOS could get a commission just by applying. I could see how long that scrap of paper would last when I got back to the states, looka at Audie Murphy. I passed, it would have been a pay cut anyway.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
In Vietnam an E-6 or above in my MOS could get a commission just by applying. I could see how long that scrap of paper would last when I got back to the states, looka at Audie Murphy. I passed, it would have been a pay cut anyway.
Yes...and that is why, now, you must have 4 year degree to become a officer and more to become a flag officer...

You must also have at least a AA to become a E-8 and a BS to get E-9....now let me say...you may not need them......but everyone that is in your year class has the minimum and then some....

Old 09-02-2010, 04:55 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,640,145 times
Quote:
Yes...and that is why, now, you must have 4 year degree to become a officer and more to become a flag officer...

You must also have at least a AA to become a E-8 and a BS to get E-9....now let me say...you may not need them......but everyone that is in your year class has the minimum and then some....
Wellllll...technically it's possible to get commissioned w/o a degree (didn't you and I get into this a while back? Or maybe it was somebody else, but I digress). I'm joining the National Guard as an officer candidate and I don't yet have a degree (I'll have it by the time I finish OCS so I'm all set there). The ARNG will accept an applicant into it's OCS program with as few as 60 college credits, but you'll need to have 90 credits by the time you get commissioned. Now to hold on to that commission and be promoted to Captain, then yes, you'll need a bachelor's in hand within two years. Those who fail to meet that requirement will lose their commission and will be booted out.

Don't know how other branches do it, I'm just going by what I know.

Then there's those battlefield commissions (degree shmegree, true leaders don't need 'em), but those are exceptions to the rule. That hasn't happened since at least Vietnam if I'm not mistaken.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Wellllll...technically it's possible to get commissioned w/o a degree (didn't you and I get into this a while back? Or maybe it was somebody else, but I digress). I'm joining the National Guard as an officer candidate and I don't yet have a degree (I'll have it by the time I finish OCS so I'm all set there). The ARNG will accept an applicant into it's OCS program with as few as 60 college credits, but you'll need to have 90 credits by the time you get commissioned. Now to hold on to that commission and be promoted to Captain, then yes, you'll need a bachelor's in hand within two years. Those who fail to meet that requirement will lose their commission and will be booted out.

Don't know how other branches do it, I'm just going by what I know.

Then there's those battlefield commissions (degree shmegree, true leaders don't need 'em), but those are exceptions to the rule. That hasn't happened since at least Vietnam if I'm not mistaken.
Well we may have had a word or 2....but I have slept since then....

Now, in your own words.....you have 60 college credits....equivalent to a AA degree....even though you may not have one....

So, in the military mind set...you have a degree becasue you have 60 college credits...

An officer does not need to have a degree to join the Army....HOWEVER, they must have 4 years degree within "so many years"? Google "Army degree completion program"....

And you also say "I'm a OCS CANDIDATE" you are not an officer yet....

Old 09-02-2010, 06:55 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,640,145 times
Quote:
And you also say "I'm a OCS CANDIDATE" you are not an officer yet....
Absolutely, that much couldn't be more obvious. If I gave the impression that I was implying otherwise then I should've been clearer about that. Becoming an officer candidate is definitely nowhere in the ball park of actually being commissioned. That was more or less an aside to my point though in that being commissioned without a literal degree is possible, taking into account the mindset that equivalencies to degrees by virtue of # of credits is considered good enough.

About the GED thing though, I know a few 'down and out' kids who could've used some military service to whip them back into shape but now they must explore other avenues. On one hand it's sad, but on the other hand I can see the rationale behind it. Entrance requirements change with the times of course, so by the time the US gets involved in more international conflict that I'm positive that the requirements will change again.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
That was more or less an aside to my point though in that being commissioned without a literal degree is possible, taking into account the mindset that equivalencies to degrees by virtue of # of credits is considered good enough.
O.K., so without having the credits....and not going through OCS.....Please tell me how you can get that little gold looking bar on your collar and not the letters O.C.S.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues