U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,439,528 times

Advertisements

What the regs these days on mil personell and their private arms?

With out wanting to be too stupid, my son will be headed to the beach shortly, and I would like him to be packin a pocket heater, like a North American Arms mini gun for if it rains.

Any insite welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 PM

2,634 posts, read 4,416,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
What the regs these days on mil personell and their private arms?

With out wanting to be too stupid, my son will be headed to the beach shortly, and I would like him to be packin a pocket heater, like a North American Arms mini gun for if it rains.

Any insite welcome.
I'm not sure I'm following you...your slang is a little thick there.

if you are saying he's deploying to Middle East, no, private arms/ammunition are strictly forbidden. General Order #1B-"Prohibited Activities: Purchase, possession, use, or sale of privately owned firearms, ammunition, explosives, or the introduction of these items into the CENTCOM AOR."

It's punitive. He can be severely punished for trying it, and he'll definitely be caught if he does.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:20 PM

Thanks, that settles that I guess. Good guessing too btw.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 AM

80 posts, read 139,863 times
The military will train him in fire arm use and safety. They will provide him with the type of fire power required.

Fire arms for personal use is kept in the home, or a permit is required to carry. Check your state laws.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:29 PM

SCB, I trained him 25 years ago, He proved it to the Mil. 25 years ago he was 5, and since he turned 6 he had his own .22 since i gave him for his birthday, like my father did for me, and I will be 59 shortly.

The desire was to give him a personal gift as a North American Arms 5 shot derringer or what ever other small pocket firearm he might like in addtion to what ever he gets issued, a gift from Dad, as a firearm. He hunts I hunt, my father did when he was alive.

My son has a CCW as do I, and he has more than that, as he owns a silencer legally, where I never cared for that idea much. NH has fair gun law.

I see I can give him a gift easy enough, just that he can't take it with him. This is why I asked here.

We each have several hunting guns, my son has some custom built on custom actions, one for very long range shooting, which isn't very typical of guns in NH, where distances are very limited by the woods. The woods here is so tight that if a rabbit runs too fast it will sear off the fur and self cook. So that particular gun is almost uselss in the woods, and to use it any, it must be taken to a place with no trees for a long distance like the power lines, or a clear cut wagan (Wagan place to stack up cut timber)

Thanks for the reply. mac

Old 08-27-2010, 02:54 PM

24,196 posts, read 39,081,984 times
Quote:
Any insite welcome.
Depends on where he is stationed.

It can depend on what country he is residing in.

It can depend on what state in US he is residing in, and where his quarters are.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:54 PM

30,794 posts, read 17,073,743 times
Mac, don't do it!! He will get in serious trouble if it is found...

The military does not give the best weapons out there...however, as I'm sure you know...it's not the weapon, it's the person......

I can give someone a customs built Kimber .45 (a $3,000 pistol) and they cannot hit anything...

If you have trained him right....then he brings more to the table than most...trust me...I have been the NCOIC of ranges in the Army and have had to send people home, did not qualify, that means hitting a minimum of 24 out of 40, (I think maybe 23) anyway after given them 4-5 times doing this they still go home unqualified....

Old 08-27-2010, 05:18 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,243,898 times
Especially after the massacre at Fort Hood personal weapons are something that will get you in trouble quick.

If your son is in a combat zome he will have his loaded assigned weapon with him 24/7/365.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Well he owns guns, many guns, and he hunts deer, and has been successful several times. I know he is a shooter, but so far he hasn't been tested shooting at people or shooting people, not yet.

Currently he is in officers training since college was something under his belt already and the Govt couldn't give him that. He is very fit, a moutain hiker growing up in the mt's of New Hampshire.

Oh, I can say this much, one of his personal guns for many years has been a .233 Bushmaster. He has another I don't know the brand of in .308. He also has his own night vision generation 3, I think.

I am not sure what hand guns he has now, but I think he still has a .22 walther that shares the silencer with a custom built .22 rifle based on the ruger 10-22 action. That gun is a serious target gun.

The long range rifle is a Montanna build with a fluted barrel. Fairly serious weapons for long range hunting. He used that custom gun in the west during college.

The scope is way to much scope for NH, but he managed to take a deer with it set up that way. All he could see of that deer was hairs. He told me he had to keep looking over the top of the scope to get an idea which hairs.

I had mentioned that scope needed to be switched out to 4x, but he was well over 21, and that was that, for that year. I am his dad and I don't run his life, that ended when he turned 21.

I have a kimber CDP Pro II and wish it was a I series, oh well, still a nice gun. I also have a Remington Rand late WW-2 vintage, rebuilt for Viet Nam, and a WW-1 'Black Army' missing it's orginal magazine. More or less trying to qualify myself a little bit here, not bragging old 58 years olds shouldn't need to brag.

Hey you guys wouldn't happen to know where I can get side slide sites wouldja?

See if you can say that quick 10 times LOL

And no, 1 st reply post, told me all I needed to know. I might buy him a gun as a gift anytime, that idea started when he was 6, but it won't be for the beach, which is the middlle east in my rural hick tawk. I sure would like to do that, but i won't. I won't even tempt him with a tiny little NAA gun untill he gets all done in the middle east.

I suppose that means he can't get me a real AK-47 too (joking)

And yeah I expect he will be in a combat zone.

In order to be a little funny, and lend the idea my son can shoot, by way of me, once i won a turkey shoot, shooting against other guys with modern repeating shot guns, some semi auto, some pump, and I used a .62 cal smooth bore Nor' West Gun, a flintlock, and about 20 gauge. So my son grew up around that style gun too. The funny part was after i won that shoot, I was disqualified for cheating. Well that gun was just fine, no rear sites, nothing they all didn't have, and I never did get any explinations i could understand. Evidently a flintlock is far superior to a modern 12 gauge repeater!

Thank you all for your time, and your service. Hope I didn't prattle on too long. mac

Old 08-27-2010, 09:13 PM

30,794 posts, read 17,073,743 times
Quote:
Well he owns guns, many guns, and he hunts deer, and has been successful several times. I know he is a shooter, but so far he hasn't been tested shooting at people or shooting people, not yet.
Mac, I'm a shooter....however what you have said I hope NOBODY ever has to experience shooting a person/people....or even getting used to....not something to talk about.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues