Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 07:43 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,359,089 times

Advertisements

U.S. Armed Forces Oath of Enlistment

Quote:
Federal law requires everyone who enlists or re-enlists in the Armed Forces of the United States to take the enlistment oath.

Is there a priority within the oath?

What if the enemy was domestic and defending the Constitution ment disobeying direct orders of the President or State Govenor? (Not that they would both be enemies of "The State" at the same time.)

Any enlisted (or X enlisted folks) folks care to take this on. Please, I don't need any civilian opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:33 PM

563 posts, read 927,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post

What if the enemy was domestic and defending the Constitution ment disobeying direct orders of the President or State Govenor? (Not that they would both be enemies of "The State" at the same time.)

Any enlisted (or X enlisted folks) folks care to take this on. Please, I don't need any civilian opinions.
This is a cut and paste of the oath. I've said it several times. US Army 12 years as a 19D Scout - 2nd ID in Korea, 3rd Cav in Iraq, plus a few other places, left as an E6.

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

My personal idea of the priority, and I'm obviously not an attorney, is that you support and defend the Constitution first. The officers above you should be doing the same, in fact, leading by example. If they are not, then you must make a personal decision based on the FACTS at that time. You'd better know well the UCMJ before doing anything rash.
For instance, think of the movie "The Rock", with Nicolas Cage. They were on domestic soil, breaking the UCMJ, and certainly going against the Constitution. If you were in that type of scenario - as an enlisted, I'd say walk away.
But real life is not so easy. You will have close friends that will or wont agree. There are so many variables to consider. In the end, you have to do what is right, and make sure you are following the law. And be a Constitutional scholar if you are giving that as your reason for not following orders. Otherwise, you may just end up facing a firing squad.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 PM

5,039 posts, read 6,319,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post

Maybe you're asking for a research project or are really interested.

I sense there is a possibility you may be referring to your situation now...and if you are, I really, really strongly advise you to think twice.

I agree the Constitution takes priority, period.

That being said, the oath is to "obey the orders of the President of the United States" and not to "obey the orders of the President of the United States if he happens to hold the same political beliefs I do."

Old 08-30-2010, 09:19 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,191,964 times
The way the oath is worded, defending the Constitution and obeying the President is not an either/or deal, and the odds of being presented with such a situation are ridiculously small. Generally speaking, the President should get the benefit of the doubt, but if you feel it's clear he's way out of line, it's time to engage brain and make a judgment call. ie there is no pat answer.

I must say I find it odd that you don't consider officer or civilian opinions to "count," but whatever -

Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,160,578 times
As an Enlisted or Officer you swear an oath. Unless you are a highly educated constitutional lawyer you really don't have the knowledge to support disobeying the President of the United States. If his policies run counter to your beliefs you have a few options.
1. Serve whatever time remains on your enlistment then get out.
2. Go AWOL and suffer the consequences.
3. Disobey your orders and suffer the consequences.
Moderator cut: This forum is not to be used for political arguments. Use Politics and Other Controversies forum instead.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-31-2010 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 07:06 AM

37,281 posts, read 61,045,095 times
Different people view their oath differently.

I knew men who had a fit when ordered to serve under European officers, or to wear a UN uniform.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:52 PM

46,177 posts, read 26,897,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
Nuff said....questioned answered....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues