U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:54 AM

655 posts, read 346,912 times

Advertisements

why would a SEAL, a unit already part of the Navy which is closely aligned with the USMC, and have training as rigorous as any require boot
camp? Makes NO sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 12:44 PM

30,776 posts, read 17,531,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Yes. There may have been a time when that wasn't true. I've only met one Marine who did not go through basic training and he was an army ranger or green beret or something along those lines. He recently retired after 30 years of service and I remember hearing that he was the only Marine in the Marine Corps who didn't have to go through basic.

Just to verify I will ask this question, though. I probably won't have an answer until next week as all the "old guys" are TAD for the rest of the week.
wow, I definitely learned something new today.

As a civilian, I always have been told (by Marines) that, Even if you were in another branch of the military, you'd still have to do a full boot camp. You can have more combat ribbons than the drill instructors, but in order to earn the title, you still have to go to boot camp. By no means, am I suggesting Marines are better, I just have always been told, there is no exception, everybody must go through bootcamp in order to earn the title.

Boot camp is not just about physical training, it is also about esprit de corps and brotherhood. It is kind of odd that your friend did not go through boot camp. (Maybe you should ask him again.)

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-18-2018 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-18-2018, 08:35 PM

2,391 posts, read 553,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
why would a SEAL, a unit already part of the Navy which is closely aligned with the USMC, and have training as rigorous as any require boot
camp? Makes NO sense.
Proper Marine indoctrination and culture introdction.

It makes sense, hard to call yourself a Marine if you never went through their universal boot camp training. Then you get your rank/title/status back after graduation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Or while going through the Basic, um stuff, again decided that it wasn't worth it and retaining their rank in their former service was preferable.
Agreed, it must've sucked to be yelled at again after being a sargeant/NCO/etc.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:46 PM

5,105 posts, read 2,675,194 times
I'm a former Marine and it was common knowledge that anyone coming over from another service still had to go through Marine Corps basic training if they wanted to go active duty Marine Corps. I've personally never heard of any exceptions to that requirement. A few years ago I heard that prior service from other branches can join the Marine Corps Reserve without having to go through Marine Corps boot camp, which was a total surprise to me. How long that's been around, or if it still is, is unknown to me.

Conversely, my Marine Corps basic training is accepted by all the other branches, so I didn't have to go through Air Force basic training when I joined the Air Guard. I could even have joined the active duty army or navy without having to go through their basic.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:23 PM

13,920 posts, read 7,691,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0331Guns View Post
Yes they do. I was in Marine boot camp Parris island in 2005. We had prior ranger and 2 other soldiers (don't know their mos)., We had prior air Force, and Navy as well. NOT ONE single prior enlisted made it (including the ranger). Though only 27 of us made it to graduation in my bootcamp, oohrah.
Interesting. If an Army Ranger (from Battalion) couldn't make it, must have been something serious.

I believe Marine boot camp is the hardest out of the military, perhaps Army basic and infantry training at Benning ranks alongside. Just an opinion from reading about both. I'm pretty sure having to go through all the selection programs to become an Army Ranger and spend time in a Ranger Batt is tougher than Marine boot though.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:11 PM

7,669 posts, read 5,444,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
camp? Makes NO sense.
Another question - why would a SEAL want to join the Marines? Particularly if they have to go through another round of basic training?

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

15,458 posts, read 8,942,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Interesting. If an Army Ranger (from Battalion) couldn't make it, must have been something serious.

I believe Marine boot camp is the hardest out of the military, perhaps Army basic and infantry training at Benning ranks alongside. Just an opinion from reading about both. I'm pretty sure having to go through all the selection programs to become an Army Ranger and spend time in a Ranger Batt is tougher than Marine boot though.
The maximum age for enlistment in the Marines is younger than the other branches. It’s around 30 now (waiver up to 33 or 35?). In 2005, it was even lower. So, that Ranger might’ve sustained an injury and then aged out. Who knows. Even healthy, young and fit recruits sustain serious injuries during boot camp.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

15,458 posts, read 8,942,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Another question - why would a SEAL want to join the Marines? Particularly if they have to go through another round of basic training?
They’re both elite in their own way - and specialized with unique opportunities. Just anecdotally, I’ve known service members who’ve served in more than one branch - including one who served in 3 branches, and others who’ve gone from officer to enlisted. Lots of different factors inspire people to serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues