U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 38,298 times

Advertisements

This is my current situation...I am now 21 and have been considering joining the Air Force on and off for the past 2 years. I recently got a dui, its my first offense. I didnt get arrested or crash or harm anyone thank god! Biggest mistake of my life. I have nothing else on my record. I am going to pay the fines and take all of the required classes. My question is what factors in the recruiters decision of getting me a waiver allowing me to enlist. I will wait how ever long it takes. I understand I commited a serious offense but people are human. I dont drink often and I havent drank since. How can I prove that I am a good person and worthy of enlisting. I have played baseball and football through high school up to college now, im focused on my goals but I am crushed by the fact that this one offense is going to stop me from enlisting. I am not going to give up, no matter how long i have to wait. When I received the dui it changed my life and taught me the toughest lesson i have ever had to learn. I am an extremely gifted and intelligent person but I have one big mistake on my record that might keep me from reaching my goals. I would do whatever it takes to receive some sort of opportunity to work my way up to enlist in any position of the Air Force. I was extremely stupid to commit the offense and I want to show that I can be a better person from this whole experience. Good people make mistakes, some are bigger than others, and I believe some people deserve a second chance. My question is what are the standards and guidelines recruiters follow when judging whether a person like me should be allowed to enlist or not? Someone please help any info would be very much appreciated. Positive and negative feedback is welcome i can take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 06:43 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,730,525 times
letko6, Hve you talked to your recruiter about this? I would think that would be the way to go as he or she will be up on the latest info.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:31 PM

2,176 posts, read 4,601,488 times
There's a recruiter on here, she'll probably chime in. I don't think the news is going to be good. I had a friend with a DUI get laid off from work, he was inspired by my Air Force service and contacted a recruiter in 2006ish when recruiting was tougher. The AF recruiter pretty much flat out told him no right off the bat.

Have a backup plan, I've heard the Army WAS easier to get into, no idea if that's still the case in this rough economy.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:36 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,568,102 times
It can be done, but it is difficult. DH was an Army recruiter. We also had a friend become an officer and he had a dui in the past.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 PM

17,638 posts, read 19,027,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letko6 View Post
Someone please help any info would be very much appreciated. Positive and negative feedback is welcome i can take it.
You need to talk to some recruiters from all the branches if need be.

What happened in the past as far as recruiting does not mean what happens in the future.

Everything else is just speculation...

Old 10-01-2010, 02:49 PM

1,881 posts, read 4,942,093 times
Hey Letco6. I am a USAF recruiter. You have a lot working against you.

You are completely and totatally ineligible from joining any branch until this is taken care of, all fines paid, all community service, probation, ect is done and over with. After that, it is highly unlikely. The fact that you JUST did this doesn't help with any possibility of a waiver.

If 5 years had gone by and you'd been squeaky clean since, MAYBE, but still probably not.

The fact that it is so recent, and DUI often indicate a lack of judgement, a lack of self control, or a problem with alcohol addiction, and it hasn't been long enough for you to show that it was a one time issue... you will not be able to join the Air Force.

You might be able to join the Army, like hug99 said, but not the Air Force. My office won't even do minor waivers, because our bosses shut us down and we get in trouble for even trying.

Our boss recently sent out an offical memo stopping all waivers. The Air Force has over 10,000 people on a WAITING LIST for basic training, and thousands of people waiting to even get on the waiting list because our waiting list is capped. I have a 3 month wait to get on the waiting list, and some people on the waiting list will wait longer than 12 months for a job slot to open up. Not a single one of them has even the smallest waiver. My boss will eat my alive if I submit a waiver. He'll say, "Why are you asking for a waiver when there are thousands of people desperate to join who don't need waivers?"

You will not be able to find a recruiter to even try to get you a waiver. If you, by some miracle, find a recruiter willing to try a waiver, it is a HIGH level waiver. That means you have to go through the recruiter to do a waiver, he/she submits it to the flight chief, if the flight chief approves it, it goes to the squadron commander. My squadron commander is in charge of most OF TEXAS AND LOUISIANA and all Air Force recruiting within those two states (just to give you an idea of how high this will go). If he approves it, he has to send it to his boss. That boss is in charge of approximately 1/3 of the United States for Air Force recruiting. A DUI has to be approved at that level.

We get hundreds of complaints from fully qualified people that recruiter won't call them back (I sometimes get 30 messages a day, it's impossible to return those calls in a timely manner. It takes me 30 minutes just to listen to my voice-mails, while taking care of walk-ins, appointments, and applications that I'm already working). The higher commanders are sick of us turning away qualified applicants because we have them coming out of our ears. It's humanly impossible to process them all, and there are limits to how many people the Air Force can even hire.

A waiver for a DUI has zero chance of being approved. Sorry for the long answer, but I want you to understand why. We are not just mean, but there is no need to let you join when we have people with zero mistakes being turned away.

Perhaps if the economy turns around, and our recruiting numbers plumment, and no one else wants to join, you'll someday have another chance. You have 6 years for that to happen before you are too old.

You can try the other branches. You will not get into the Air Force.

By the way, people already in the Air Force who get DUIs are often discharged, fired, kicked-out, separated. If we kick-out people, some of them who've been in for years, won medals, area already trained... if we kick them out for a DUI, you can see the hesitation of letting someone with a DUI join.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:07 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,644,038 times
dont let this stop you, you definitely need to talk to the other service branches

another branch of the military may accept you

Old 10-03-2010, 07:14 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,368,969 times
As long is everything is closed with the dui charge (jail time, bills, classes, ect, cmmunity service completed, off of probation, do not have drivers license revoked,ect) and you do not have any other charges against you or criminal record then you can join the Army- AF is much stricter at the moment since they are preparing to downsize branch and exceeding recruiting needs

*just asked my husband who has been an Army recruiter for 8yrs

Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,568,102 times
You would also have the best of luck with an MOS that is under strength and with spectacular ASVAB scores. Or at an office that hasn't been making mission.

I remember once that cat IV ASVAB scores and GEDs were opened in the Army around 2003-2004. They were letting pretty much anyone with a pulse in.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 13,957 times
Default smh

Me and you are in the same boat I had a OWI 6 yrs ago and they look over my papers I scored a 70-80 on the test and no one calls me back I no that you can get in my brother is in the navy and family in each branch it depends on who u go thru how u handle it and if it's approved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues