Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 02:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,070 times

Advertisements

Just like the title says, what are the real chances of an enlisted TACP (tactical air control part) advancing to an ALO (Air Liaison Officer)? Also, I would like answers to pertain to that actual question please. I have done some research, but don't have the real information from the patriots in the military branches.

I know the air force has been doing some downsizing, especially on the officers side, but I'm wondering if (in my opinion) hard to sell jobs, like TACP, are affected as much. And, I know it would be better to join as an officer, but lets just leave this problem out of the equation for the moment. I know the chances of being able to acquire an enlisted commissioned program are slim to none, but maybe for these "hard to sell jobs" the opportunity is somewhat better?

Thank you for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Interesting question, AtripleO! I was in aircraft maintenance, so my knowledge of the TACP and ALO arenas is very limited. I briefly served in an OV-10 outfit, so maybe that may help. I know that ALO positions have traditionally been filled by aviators. And that's probably a good idea. Would TACP enlisteds who get commissions be a good idea? I think the idea has merit and should be considered. I've always thought that officers with prior enlisted service make excellent officers anyway. But that's another discussion. Or perhaps it's worth bringing back the Warrant Officer program for things like TACP to ALO... Some years ago, the USAF opened the aircraft flight engineer (C-15/C-141/C-130 etc.) AFSC to retrainees from all AFSCs and found they were better off just getting retrainees from the aircraft maintenance AFSCs.

As for your second question, I believe that difficult-to-qualify-for AFSCs would always be a good opportunity for anyone who qualifies, regardless of the economy. AFSCs such as TACP are always hard to man.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues