Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,281,317 times

Advertisements

Military recruiters told they can accept openly gay applicants - CNN.com

As a word of caution... if you are openly gay, and thinking about joining... I would still be careful of being "open" about it.

Here's what I have been told... the ruling that the military must accept openly gay members is under an appeal. If someone comes in, declares their sexuality, we let them join, and the ruling is appealed successfully, all contracts will be null and void- or the member will be separated under "Don't ask, don't tell."

Just remember the battle isn't over yet. This new ruling could be overturned, so if you are gay, don't risk being kicked out by declaring it now, and thinking you are safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,614,199 times
I suspect it won't last long, but hoping for the best. I think this is a step in the RIGHT direction...

Old 10-20-2010, 12:09 AM

756 posts, read 1,993,677 times
May I ask "who cares?"..I mean it is now 2010 do we care weather someone is gay are not. With so much wrong with our Miltary being gay is the last thing to worry about.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 AM

46,189 posts, read 26,866,939 times
If people are openly gay, there will be more Article 15's than ever before. Those guys will be beat...and shunned, and treated differently....

So my next question is "Why" is a court dealing with anything that has to do with ANY military service.....

Thats whats wrong with the military....get the civillians out of our policies and let the military be the military....our Soldiers have died because of "PC."

Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,300,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee;
Thats whats wrong with the military....get the civillians out of our policies and let the military be the military....our Soldiers have died because of "PC."
Brilliant!

The "civilians" won't mind taking back the tax dollars that fund the military. Remember who you work for.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Brilliant!

The "civilians" won't mind taking back the tax dollars that fund the military. Remember who you work for.
Brilliant, right back at ya.........remember WE (the military) pay taxes also.....

Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 AM

9,394 posts, read 9,678,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
May I ask "who cares?"..I mean it is now 2010 do we care weather someone is gay are not. With so much wrong with our Miltary being gay is the last thing to worry about.
Could you expound on what you mean about "so much wrong with our Military"?

As a veteran, I take offense to that comment and I like to know what you mean by that. We have had thousands of military members sacrificing their lives over the past 9 years, and when you make a broad statement like that you need to explain what you mean.

And there are a lot of people in the military who this "legal issue" will effect, who cares.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:36 AM

Let’s see, we (the military) have our own judicial system, our own prison system, and our own police and numerous other self made entities.

So it does make sense that we should have another judicial system make rules for us…………………….that has no earthly idea of what they are talking about………….

No not really….just wanted that statement…………..

Old 10-20-2010, 11:09 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,477,975 times
I just can't wait for that day in the future where we'll all have fogotten how idiotic it is that we've spent SO much time & energy debating why sexual orientation precludes any otherwise-qualified American from serving in our military...

Old 10-20-2010, 11:11 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,188,078 times
Who cares about reality or common sense? The PC Monster is all-powerful.

If you are gay and in the service or trying to join, you'd have to be an idiot to declare it openly. But pls let me know what base you are at/get assigned to so I make sure not to use the public showers there.

Don't you love how that and other inherent complications/potential problems are totally ignored by the mindless PC groupies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues