Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:48 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,283,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
From memory, when President Kennedy established the Peace Corps he wanted to insure that the world knew it would not be used for intelligence collection. So, those individuals who were involved with intelligence collection could never enter the Peace Corps and visa versa...

Rich

Huh! That is really interesting. I had no idea why, nor did I know that was the point of the Peace Corps. Learn something new everyday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 07:53 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,696,669 times
I've even gone back to school in hopes that the Peace Corps would allow me to volunteer...finishing my degree.

After I read the post, I went online and found that they are letting in former military. Don't know the circumstances around it all but they do let us in.

Stories from the field | Media | Resources | Peace Corps

Old 10-28-2010, 10:45 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,121,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I said that there are no laws AGAINST holding people in jail for being AWOL. The OP said that the military doesn't have to follow laws. I said there is not a single law that they are breaking. There is not a law AGAINST holding people in jail for being AWOL- so therefore no law is being broken when people are held in jail.

Then I said there is a law allowing them to be held in jail for being AWOL.

This is not at all a contradiction.
Yes, military law.

The military is exempt from civilian law as no civilian company could have an employee jailed for missingwork.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:05 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,283,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Yes, military law.

The military is exempt from civilian law as no civilian company could have an employee jailed for missingwork.

Right. I am following what you are saying- I think. Only military members can be jailed for missing work. But just because there is an extra law on the military, it doesn't mean they are exempt from other laws. I would say it's more like they have to follow ALL laws, and Civilians are the ones that are exempt from the UCMJ.

I'm still wondering what actual law you are referring to that the military is exempt from? Is there a specific statue that you are referring to that we are exempt from?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:29 PM

It is iilegal to hold someone against their will in civilian law.( unless they have committed a crime )

Military law makes the military exempt from that civil law as they can hold detain someone for crimes covered under their law.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:01 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,806,966 times
How is the military exempt from laws?

They are, as history has so amply proven, not bound by "thou shalt not kill", it is predictable that some other laws would also not necessarily pertain to the U.S. Military, depending upon conditions of course. War negates a number of civil pleasantries.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:06 PM

46,192 posts, read 26,873,942 times
Quote:
It is iilegal to hold someone against their will in civilian law.( unless they have committed a crime )

Military law makes the military exempt from that civil law as they can hold detain someone for crimes covered under their law.

We are NOT exempt from civil law, you are making a blanket statement........

But the ONLY thing that you have given is YOUR opinion.....nothing to back it up with ....

The only thing you continue to say is, the military is exempt.....

O.K.......I'll give it to you.....no worker can be held by their employer.

SO there you go.....now what else is the military exempt from.....please inform us.....

You said OSHA, I tromped you on that....

What else do you have? If that is your only argument that the military is exempt from a single law of of "holding a person against their will (After breaking a law) then you could have saved us all a lot.....

But you continued to say we are exempt.....from the LAW....and can only give one VERY VERY VERY LAME example..............

Old 10-28-2010, 05:17 PM

----what else do you have--

To many civilians, holding someone against their will, is a big deal.

Many 18 year olds start a job and decide it's not for them and quit.

I can't imagine any civilian employer expecting many new 18 year old employee to remain with their company for 4-6 years.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:27 PM

Which is why I am wondering why the military quit 2 and 3 year enlistments.

Even when they were shorthanded.

To posters stating " the military demands a lot of technical trainimng now that takes years"------------I counter with this......Why am I still reading the names of 19 year olds killed in combat in Afghanistan?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:10 PM

46,192 posts, read 26,873,942 times
Quote:
----what else do you have--

To many civilians, holding someone against their will, is a big deal.

Many 18 year olds start a job and decide it's not for them and quit.

I can't imagine any civilian employer expecting many new 18 year old employee to remain with their company for 4-6 years.
Quote:
Which is why I am wondering why the military quit 2 and 3 year enlistments.

Even when they were shorthanded.

To posters stating " the military demands a lot of technical trainimng now that takes years"------------I counter with this......Why am I still reading the names of 19 year olds killed in combat in Afghanistan?
See, here we go again....you have NO clue what you are talking about...you won... A SINGLE victory....BUT CANNOT back anything else up that you say...........PLEASE provide something that you can have substance with...NOT YOUR OWN OPINION...............

And really, stop jumping from subject to subject to try prove you are right...you HAVE not and CANNOT justify anything you have said....

Those 19 year old's are being killed because we as a COUNTRY are ENTIRELY POLITICALLY CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! That's why....do you need to be explained that any more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues