U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 PM

6,304 posts, read 14,355,467 times

Advertisements

Active Duty personnel have an ID
Retired have an ID
Others will have either/both DD-214 or VA Medical Card w/picture on it
If "others" don't have either of these, a photo of them in their dress or work uniform could be used as an ID, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I suppose the only proof a vet would have is a DD-214. You either have one, or you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 07:15 PM

3,069 posts, read 6,830,847 times
ELS still get dd214. On it will say why they were discharged like failure to adapt, fraudulent enlistment, or medical reasons, for example.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:59 PM

22,176 posts, read 32,925,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
My definition "A veteran is one who has served in the armed forces." but others will disagree.

I would consider "They enlisted, but at the beginning of Basic was given a Medical Discharge due to bad feet?" to be a verteran. They also would have probably received an Honorable Discharge (under medical conditions).

But there are various conditions and situations, and certain requirements to be met.

Dictionary Definition:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Didn't you have to be in for 180 days, medical discharge notwithstanding? Have they changed that?
I am not familiar with that 180 day rule. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_discharge: "Entry level separations, or uncharacterized discharge, are given to individuals who separate prior to completing 180 days of military service, or when discharge action was initiated prior to 180 days of service. This type of discharge does not attempt to characterize service as good or bad." But they took an oath. Are they a veteran? They may not get all the veterans benefits.

You take an oath, you are in the military, at what point in service do you have to serve to be counted as a veteran? 180 days? What happens if you are killed while in training on your 179th day? Are you or are you not a veteran. Everyone gets a DD form 214, even when dishonorably discharged.

Title 38 of the United States Code, Veteran Benefits, Sec. 101. - Definitions, For the purposes of this title, "The term ''veteran'' means a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable." TITLE 38 , PART I , CHAPTER 1 , Sec. 101. That is good enough for me.

Title 10 of the United States Code, Section 1491 regarding "Funeral honors functions at funerals for veterans" defines a veteran:

(h) Veteran Defined. - In this section, the term "veteran" means a decedent who -

(1) served in the active military, naval, or air service (as
defined in section 101(24) of title 38) (WHICH IS DEFINED ABOVE) and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable;
10 U.S.C. 1491 : US Code - Section 1491: Funeral honors functions at funerals for veterans

I will continue to assume a person is a veteran if they say they are, unless there is a reason for me to doubt them. I don't think the number of days you served really matters, nor how many awards or medals you received, nor what rank you achieved. If you took the oath(s) and obeyed them, then I consider you a veteran.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM

16,031 posts, read 18,177,858 times
I think completion of Basic and AIT should be a requirement, especially in an all volunteer force

Old 11-16-2010, 08:08 PM

2,164 posts, read 2,620,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I joined the US Army in 1957, served three years and when I talk to the real soldiers that served in combat I feel guilty. I like Golden Corral and when I heard of their program concerning veterans, I emailed them and thanked them. However I would not accept a free meal. I believe that belongs to the real soldiers.
Sir, you are an honorable man. It is my honor to call you and consider you a fellow veteran.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:55 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,234,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I joined the US Army in 1957, served three years and when I talk to the real soldiers that served in combat I feel guilty. I like Golden Corral and when I heard of their program concerning veterans, I emailed them and thanked them. However I would not accept a free meal. I believe that belongs to the real soldiers.
Hell, when I talk to the guys who served in OEF/OIF I feel the same way to and I served "in combat" in Desert Storm as a front line army officer but never saw any serious action....

You should'nt belittle your service. You put yourself in the breach for a time and thats damn more than alot of others can say. Its was honorable and you deserve the appreciation people are offering.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,546,603 times
It sounds like he was medically discharged. In that circumstance, he probably does receive monthly compensation. Otherwise, in the true sense, I would say no. For me, when I am in public I normally keep my shut about my career because I don't like the attention, but this guy works 2 or 3 days and he's talking crap. It sounds like a lie to me or some serious stretching of the truth. The people who talk or brag the most are normally full of it.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:53 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,277,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I suppose the only proof a vet would have is a DD-214. You either have one, or you don't.
Agreed

Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 AM

6,304 posts, read 14,355,467 times
Somewhere thru the years, I lost my DD-214, old VA Medical card and ribbons/metals so the only proof of military service that I had was the picture of the Company that I graduated with from NTC, Great Lakes back in Sept 1968.
I've had a new DD-214 sent to me, replaced by medals/ribbons thru a request to the Bureau of Naval Personnel and now have an old letter and Greeting Card that I sent my parents from my first cruise in 1969. And, I'm getting my VA Medical card replaced next. So, I'd say I have all the proof I need that I served in the Navy during Nam and off the shore of Nam at GQ.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:04 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,961,561 times
Just imagine if restaurants requested a military photo ID or a DD214. They'd be no closer to full seating capacity than on any other day. If I ran a restaurant, that's exactly what I'd do. I'd run an ad in papers one month before Veteran's day stating those without a photo ID or DD214 will not get a free meal, so that should be enough time for veterans to dig through their belongings in case they've misplaced a few items. I know that wouldn't make my establishment popular with scammers, but it'd at least be the ethical thing to do.

And if no one takes that opportunity for a free meal, whatever, my business will just collect money from paying customers and it'll be like any other regular ol' business day.

Last edited by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥; 11-17-2010 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues