U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:42 AM

22,841 posts, read 13,046,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I suppose the only proof a vet would have is a DD-214. You either have one, or you don't.
So if this 180 or less person gets a DD214 (and they will) who was discharged becasue he could not adapt, would you still call him a vet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:35 PM

27,236 posts, read 36,842,869 times
If a person served, and never saw action, are they still a vet?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:27 PM

3,928 posts, read 2,279,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I joined the US Army in 1957, served three years and when I talk to the real soldiers that served in combat I feel guilty. I like Golden Corral and when I heard of their program concerning veterans, I emailed them and thanked them. However I would not accept a free meal. I believe that belongs to the real soldiers.

Sir, you were a real soldier, and you are a veteran. Not everybody gets to go "to the front". It is a matter of ALL working together: from the guy who works in contracting to get parts and supplies, to the guy who loads munitions on jets (yet he/she in in the rear), to the clerk who ensures you get paid, to the crypto guys, etc.

You did do your part, and that is all that matters and all that can be expected. Stand tall.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:28 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,546,603 times
Default Yes

Quote:
I have assumed both roles and neither role is easy.

Action: goes without saying so there's no explanation needed.

No action: The folks that do not see action are probably playing the support role which mostly means pulling double duty along with 12 hour shifts. During wartime, weekends are not weekends.

In short, both roles are pivotal to the country's ultimate success. One cannot go without the other.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So if this 180 day or less person gets a DD214 (and they will) who was discharged because he could not adapt, would you still call him a vet?
Added the word day...........

If the guy get's to his first unit, then I would consider him/her a vet. Anything earlier, nope, nota...not a vet...........

Old 11-17-2010, 04:57 PM

556 posts, read 610,054 times
Quote:
Yes. They are just not a combat vet.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 PM

6,304 posts, read 14,355,467 times
This dude didn't even make it thru "Boot"! He told us that his medical release was due to flat feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Added the word day...........

If the guy get's to his first unit, then I would consider him/her a vet. Anything earlier, nope, nota...not a vet...........

Old 11-18-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
This dude didn't even make it thru "Boot"! He told us that his medical release was due to flat feet.
And your point?

No, I do not consider him a vet....flat feet, failure to adapt, put any excuse ____________ here and if that person did not make it through "Boot", they are not a vet, in my opinion, wheather they have a DD214 or not....

Old 10-01-2015, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 739 times
Google title 38 section 101 US definition of veteran benefits. Some people will like it and others will hate it. It's pretty simple. If you go into the military and get any discharge besides dishonorable you are a vet. An ELS discharge is a discharge, so is bad conduct, other then honorale, general and honorable. Only 2 of these types of discharges are in titled to receive VA benefits with out any strings. People screw up, even they served 10 years and received a bad conduct discharge, their benefits are removed, but they are still a veteran. To me personally, it is easy to say thank you if they deserve it. So to all vets and previous military members, thank you.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:14 PM

8,362 posts, read 12,713,448 times
Quote:
Of course they are. What a silly question. The military requires many more support people than trigger pullers, and those trigger pullers would not be in action were it not for everyone else doing their part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues