U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 664 times

Advertisements

I enlisted June 2007, I busted my knee in basic. Completed all requirements but the final pt test. Did a second cycle of basic to rebuild my knee to pass. Made it to AIT, was diagnosed with mono because some recruit came to basic with it(One drinking fountain for an entire female floor, not surprising). From that point my health faltered, I lost all the progress I made on my knee but I persisted. Two weeks before AIT graduation I woke up with a horrible throat infection that required a peanut butter shot(a complication from the mono) I was placed in another company to try and complete training again. All I needed was the FTX and a PT test. Eventually it was decided that my health wouldn't recover while serving. The toughest question I have ever had to answer was from my CO "Do you think being discharged is the best choice for you?" I had to be honest with myself, it was.

1 year and 27 days later my military career ended. Honorable Discharge. Back home I went.

I don't consider myself a veteran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 10:12 PM

28,037 posts, read 44,094,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmsh View Post
I enlisted June 2007, I busted my knee in basic. Completed all requirements but the final pt test. Did a second cycle of basic to rebuild my knee to pass. Made it to AIT, was diagnosed with mono because some recruit came to basic with it(One drinking fountain for an entire female floor, not surprising). From that point my health faltered, I lost all the progress I made on my knee but I persisted. Two weeks before AIT graduation I woke up with a horrible throat infection that required a peanut butter shot(a complication from the mono) I was placed in another company to try and complete training again. All I needed was the FTX and a PT test. Eventually it was decided that my health wouldn't recover while serving. The toughest question I have ever had to answer was from my CO "Do you think being discharged is the best choice for you?" I had to be honest with myself, it was.

1 year and 27 days later my military career ended. Honorable Discharge. Back home I went.

I don't consider myself a veteran.
I am sorry.

I salute you.

You gave your best.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:06 AM

11,706 posts, read 9,768,021 times
One note about Golden Corral - I'm pretty sure they don't mind that some questionable "veterans" are taking advantage of their free meal offer. It's a publicity stunt. If they truly cared, they'd ask to see proof of service.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:15 AM

22,996 posts, read 35,211,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
One note about Golden Corral - I'm pretty sure they don't mind that some questionable "veterans" are taking advantage of their free meal offer. It's a publicity stunt. If they truly cared, they'd ask to see proof of service.
I don't believe that... Your pretty sure? That's just hypocrisy.. We've know two waitress's. They don't have time for the "security checking". Just feed them. Same for some of the VA event's, picnics I've helped out at...

Old 05-07-2017, 10:45 AM

11,706 posts, read 9,768,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I don't believe that... Your pretty sure? That's just hypocrisy.. We've know two waitress's. They don't have time for the "security checking". Just feed them. Same for some of the VA event's, picnics I've helped out at...
If the restaurant did care, they'd be more diligent about checking IDs, don't you think?

Old 05-07-2017, 12:23 PM

28,744 posts, read 15,584,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
They enlisted, but at the beginning of Basic was given a Medical Discharge due to bad feet?
Talked to this guy last night at Golden Corral. He was telling us that he wondered just how many non-Veterans were eating free in the restaurant because Golden Corral doesn't ask for any kind of ID. He told us that years ago he had enlisted, was at Basic Training, but released due to his feet. Now, I think this is that old statement "calling the kettle black" because he's not a Veteran (is he) if he got a Medical in Basic and didn't complete Basic......right? Just seemed sort of weird b/c he was complaining about something that I think he was actually part of!
Wife told me later that she talked to a lady, that when asked "are you a Veteran?", by a lady giving out a sticker that says "I Served", she replied "yes.......I've taken care of him (her husband) since he's been out so I think that qualifies me to be a Veteran!" The lady with the "I Served" stickers put a sticker on her and she ate for free!
Comments/Opinions?
Neither one is a veteran and should never be getting the free meal.

This said, my family has several retail shops in the shopping malls and we offer military discount. we give discount to military families, so the army, sailor, Marine, national guards' wives and husbands can get discount as long as they can provide a valid military ID.

I also volunteer at a va hospital, we have a weekend feed a homeless vet program. MOST of the homeless are civilians, not veterans I must say. After a while, we stopped checking ID, we just give away free meals because it seems like a right thing to do.

I think Golden Corral does care, it is a good gesture offering meals to veterans. But this guy and the lady in your op take advantage of it and they seem to have a sense of entitlement issue. My brother is a former Marine, my fiance is a former Marine, my uncle is a former Marine. I will forever be a civilian and should never be getting veteran free meal.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-07-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 03:51 PM

591 posts, read 303,950 times
To me, it depends on if the injury happened during boot camp are not. We had a female in our "sister" unit during basic training slip on ice and fracture her hip. They had to use a plate and screws to put it back together. I asked my RTC if he had heard an update, and he said that she was placed on the temporary disabled retirement list, and would be medically separated/retired.

I assume she would have gotten an honorable discharge. So in this case, I would consider her a veteran. She didn't leave because she had an undisclosed medical condition. She was severely hurt in basic and couldn't continue her career.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:15 PM

28,744 posts, read 15,584,932 times
I always believe this is the official definition of a veteran

To receive EDD services as an eligible veteran or eligible spouse, the applicant must meet one of the following criteria:

Veteran:
A veteran is a man or woman who:

Served on active duty in the United States armed forces (not Reserve or National Guard Training) for a period of more than 180 days and was discharged or released with an other than dishonorable discharge.
Was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.

Was a member of a reserve component, including the National Guard, under an order to active duty pursuant to Section 672(a), (d), or (g), 673, or 673(b) of Title 10, (and) served on active duty during a period of war, in a campaign, or expedition for which a campaign badge was authorized, was discharged or released with an other than dishonorable discharge.

Veteran Eligibility

It looks like the guy in op did not pass basic training, I appreciate his willingness to try and feel bad for his injury, but I will not consider him a veteran .

My own cousin did not pass army basic training; never earned the title. In another word, he was never a soldier, he was never on active duty. So he is Not a veteran. This said, I actually know a person who considers basic training active duty, so who knows?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-08-2017 at 05:29 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 03:56 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,542,292 times
With 22 years service and a retired ID card, I have no issues. But anyone who wants to endure one of those Veteran's Day free for all's at a Golden Corral has to be a masochist.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:11 PM

11,540 posts, read 6,073,717 times
Sorry not a veteran any way you look at it.

But I applaud the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues