U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:05 PM

5,823 posts, read 3,113,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am a member of the American Legion and the VFW.

With our local posts these groups grumble at each other a lot. The AL is open to anyone who wore a uniform. The VFW is open to combat vets.

According to the VA https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/veterans.asp
"... a person who served in the active military service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable is a Veteran."

I know a lot of Korean war vets who carry a chip on their shoulder toward WWII vets, because when they got home they were told that they were not 'real' vets. VN vets were told the same thing when they got home.
The only one open to anyone who wore a uniform is AmVets. The American Legion is open to anyone who served during a time of war. The dates of service are on their website. I know several veterans who fell in between and cannot join the AL. The VFW is open to those who served in a war zone and to a few others, such as those who received imminent danger pay or hostile fire pay. You do not need to be combat vet, which is usually defined as having been in combat, where you were shooting at someone who was shooting at you. My biggest gripe about the VFW is that it is open to anyone who was stationed in Korea after the armistice. A year in Korea isn't much different than the year I spent in Okinawa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 06:07 PM

4,505 posts, read 3,152,974 times
According to the American Legion web site, these are the qualifications to join.

Eligibility Information

If you have served federal active duty in the United States Armed Forces during any of the war eras listed below, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving -- you are eligible for membership in The American Legion!
*August 2, 1990 to today (Persian Gulf/ War on Terrorism)
December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990 (Operation Just Cause - Panama)
August 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon/Grenada)
February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam)
June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955 (Korea)
December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 (World War II)
April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918 (World War I)

I tried to join and they said no. Service 1957-1959

Old 06-14-2017, 06:30 AM

489 posts, read 194,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
A neighbor told me unless you fought in a war (including the horrid middle east) you are not a veteran. I was in the army for 4 yrs (2 in Germany & 2 stateside) & saw no combat. I was honorably discharged. Is he right ?
You and I are both veterans of military service. Just not in a combat zone. The federal government has classifications of those of us who served in the military, but not in combat.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:25 PM

9,595 posts, read 17,677,018 times
My neighbor has never been in the military & says boot camp is a joke. He did say he was in ROTC in high school & that should count for something. He never went to basic training , served active duty or reserve or national guard. He is very annoying. I am curious about 1 thing. When a soldier leaves active duty (ETS) does he or she get health benefits (VA hospital) for life ? I get health but not dental or eyes.

Last edited by steel7; 06-21-2017 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
My neighbor has never been in the military & says boot camp is a joke. He did say he was in ROTC in high school & that should count for something. He never went to basic training , served active duty or reserve or national guard. He is very annoying. I am curious about 1 thing. When a soldier leaves active duty (ETS) does he or she get health benefits (VA hospital) for life ? I get health but not dental or eyes.
ROTC hero LOL. If he never served on active duty, he is not a vet.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
ROTC hero LOL. If he never served on active duty, he is not a vet.
He is a strange one. He also thinks he can be treated at the VA hospital if need be.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:43 PM

24,098 posts, read 38,783,615 times
Quote:
My neighbor has never been in the military & says boot camp is a joke. He did say he was in ROTC in high school & that should count for something.
He was not in ROTC.

The Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) are a group of college-based officer training programs for training commissioned officers of the United States Armed Forces.

There is no ROTC in high school... Perhaps someone was thinking about the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) which is a federal program sponsored by the United States Armed Forces in high schools and also in some middle schools across the United States and United States military bases across the world.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
He was not in ROTC.

The Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) are a group of college-based officer training programs for training commissioned officers of the United States Armed Forces.

There is no ROTC in high school... Perhaps someone was thinking about the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) which is a federal program sponsored by the United States Armed Forces in high schools and also in some middle schools across the United States and United States military bases across the world.
My error. It was JROTC.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:31 PM

4,505 posts, read 3,152,974 times
Quote:
He is a strange one. He also thinks he can be treated at the VA hospital if need be.
Why don't you offer to take him to the nearest VA clinic when he gets sick?

Old 06-21-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Regarding this question: "When a soldier leaves active duty (ETS) does he or she get health benefits (VA hospital) for life ?"

Only retirees get healthcare for life and I believe those who served in combat and received injuries that made them eligible for a disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues