Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:41 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times

Advertisements

They enlisted, but at the beginning of Basic was given a Medical Discharge due to bad feet?
Talked to this guy last night at Golden Corral. He was telling us that he wondered just how many non-Veterans were eating free in the restaurant because Golden Corral doesn't ask for any kind of ID. He told us that years ago he had enlisted, was at Basic Training, but released due to his feet. Now, I think this is that old statement "calling the kettle black" because he's not a Veteran (is he) if he got a Medical in Basic and didn't complete Basic......right? Just seemed sort of weird b/c he was complaining about something that I think he was actually part of!
Wife told me later that she talked to a lady, that when asked "are you a Veteran?", by a lady giving out a sticker that says "I Served", she replied "yes.......I've taken care of him (her husband) since he's been out so I think that qualifies me to be a Veteran!" The lady with the "I Served" stickers put a sticker on her and she ate for free!
Comments/Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 09:05 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
In my opinion he's not a vet, but I don't know how the VA would classify him. As for the lady who claims veteran status because her husband served, meh, it's not the same, but I do appreciate the sacrifices of some of the military wives that have stood by their husbands sides throughout their careers, through the moves, deployments, years away from family and loved ones, and looking out for one another.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
My definition "A veteran is one who has served in the armed forces." but others will disagree.

I would consider "They enlisted, but at the beginning of Basic was given a Medical Discharge due to bad feet?" to be a verteran. They also would have probably received an Honorable Discharge (under medical conditions).

But there are various conditions and situations, and certain requirements to be met.

Dictionary Definition:
Quote:
vet·er·an

– noun

1. a person who has had long service or experience in an occupation, office, or the like: a veteran of the police force; a veteran of many sports competitions.

2. a person who has served in a military force, esp. one who has fought in a war: a Vietnam veteran.

–adjective

3. (of soldiers) having had service or experience in warfare: veteran troops.

4. experienced through long service or practice; having served for a long period: a veteran member of Congress.

5. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of veterans.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:13 AM

767 posts, read 2,290,408 times
I joined the US Army in 1957, served three years and when I talk to the real soldiers that served in combat I feel guilty. I like Golden Corral and when I heard of their program concerning veterans, I emailed them and thanked them. However I would not accept a free meal. I believe that belongs to the real soldiers.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:17 AM

556 posts, read 797,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
They enlisted, but at the beginning of Basic was given a Medical Discharge due to bad feet?
Talked to this guy last night at Golden Corral. He was telling us that he wondered just how many non-Veterans were eating free in the restaurant because Golden Corral doesn't ask for any kind of ID. He told us that years ago he had enlisted, was at Basic Training, but released due to his feet. Now, I think this is that old statement "calling the kettle black" because he's not a Veteran (is he) if he got a Medical in Basic and didn't complete Basic......right? Just seemed sort of weird b/c he was complaining about something that I think he was actually part of!
Wife told me later that she talked to a lady, that when asked "are you a Veteran?", by a lady giving out a sticker that says "I Served", she replied "yes.......I've taken care of him (her husband) since he's been out so I think that qualifies me to be a Veteran!" The lady with the "I Served" stickers put a sticker on her and she ate for free!
Comments/Opinions?

No. He is not a vet. I think he's disgraceful for claiming to be. I've been to the hospital before, does that make me a doctor? lol

Old 11-16-2010, 09:20 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,762,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
My definition "A veteran is one who has served in the armed forces." but others will disagree.

I would consider "They enlisted, but at the beginning of Basic was given a Medical Discharge due to bad feet?" to be a verteran. They also would have probably received an Honorable Discharge (under medical conditions).

But there are various conditions and situations, and certain requirements to be met.

Dictionary Definition:

Didn't you have to be in for 180 days, medical discharge notwithstanding? Have they changed that?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,038 times
I doubt the foot guy was issued a DD form 214. From Wikipedia....

Quote:
Discharge from Basic Training
A recruit can be discharged from the Army before the conclusion of Basic Training. Discharges that occur before the completion of 180 days (approximately 6 months) of training are considered uncharacterized, which are neither honorable nor less than honorable.
  • An Entry Level Separation (ELS) can occur when a recruit demonstrates unsatisfactory performance and/or misconduct. A recruit can only be ELSed after at least 4 weeks of training and 2 counseling sessions, except under extreme circumstances, such as the recruit being deemed suicidal.[35]
  • If it is found that a recruit is unable to train due to a chronic medical condition, he or she may obtain a medical discharge by the recommendation of an Army medical doctor.
  • A discharge due to any condition Existing Prior To Service (EPTS) may occur when a recruit is found to have a prior medical condition existing before enlistment. A recruit may receive a rare honorable discharge for an EPTS condition if they have been in Basic Training for more than 180 days.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:00 PM

561 posts, read 1,511,989 times
Many people will be anything they need to be to get free food -- or anything free for that matter and they'll argue until the cows come home to justify their right to be there! Personal scruples no longer exist. Sad, but true.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
I suppose the only proof a vet would have is a DD-214. You either have one, or you don't.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM

431 posts, read 928,919 times
Ha yeah I happen to run into people like that guy from time to time. For me personally I think you’re a “veteran” when you’ve graduated BMT, passed your tech school and are finally at your first permanent assignment. That’s just me. But yeah this guy does not fit my view of what a veteran is. Shoot in my BMT flight we lost 7-10 guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues