Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:01 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times

Advertisements

Basic Eligibility
If you served in the active military service and were separated under any condition other than dishonorable, you may qualify for VA health care benefits. Current and former members of the Reserves or National Guard who were called to active duty by a federal order and completed the full period for which they were called or ordered to active duty may be eligible for VA health benefits as well.

Reserves or National Guard members with active duty for training purposes only do not meet the basic eligibility requirement.

Minimum Duty Requirements

Most Veterans who enlisted after September 7, 1980, or entered active duty after October 16, 1981, must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which they were called to active duty in order to be eligible. This minimum duty requirement may not apply to Veterans who were discharged for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, for a hardship or “early out,” or those who served prior to September 7, 1980. Since there are a number of other exceptions to the minimum duty requirements, VA encourages all Veterans to apply so that we may determine their enrollment eligibility.

For further info....
https://www.va.gov/HEALTHBENEFITS/apply/veterans.asp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 07:32 AM

43 posts, read 73,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
They enlisted, but at the beginning of Basic was given a Medical Discharge due to bad feet?
Talked to this guy last night at Golden Corral. He was telling us that he wondered just how many non-Veterans were eating free in the restaurant because Golden Corral doesn't ask for any kind of ID. He told us that years ago he had enlisted, was at Basic Training, but released due to his feet. Now, I think this is that old statement "calling the kettle black" because he's not a Veteran (is he) if he got a Medical in Basic and didn't complete Basic......right? Just seemed sort of weird b/c he was complaining about something that I think he was actually part of!
Wife told me later that she talked to a lady, that when asked "are you a Veteran?", by a lady giving out a sticker that says "I Served", she replied "yes.......I've taken care of him (her husband) since he's been out so I think that qualifies me to be a Veteran!" The lady with the "I Served" stickers put a sticker on her and she ate for free!
Comments/Opinions?
Yes, if they were discharged under honorable conditions. I received an honorable discharge after boot camp that I never completed--3 months, 28 days. I was told then not to pursue any benefits because i didn't serve the "6 months and/or 180 days" requirement. It has been only the past 4 years that I found out that I'm indeed a veteran with benefits. I hope Loveboating's friend has found this out much sooner that i did!!

Old 09-07-2017, 12:26 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Hmmm....one is a veteran if s/he didn't even complete boot camp, much less see active duty? Even in the reserves, they don't qualify without the active duty requirement, even if they HAVE completed training. The things you learn on CD!

Old 09-13-2017, 02:08 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
IMO, a "veteran" should be anyone who completed a full enlistment, whether it be 4 years, 6 years, or whatever your initial contract states when enlisting.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
IMO, a "veteran" should be anyone who completed a full enlistment, whether it be 4 years, 6 years, or whatever your initial contract states when enlisting.

suppose they were wounded in combat and didn't complete their enlistment?

or they got blowed up out of a tower during basic training?

no soup for you?

Old 09-13-2017, 01:44 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
suppose they were wounded in combat and didn't complete their enlistment?

or they got blowed up out of a tower during basic training?

no soup for you?
Then they should get a separate status with other special "medical" benefits to suit their needs accordingly.

If you are enrolled in college and get hurt before you graduate, you still aren't a "graduate" until you finish the required coursework.

And where in basic training are you in a position to ever get "blowed up out of a tower"?

Old 09-27-2017, 07:13 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Then they should get a separate status with other special "medical" benefits to suit their needs accordingly.

If you are enrolled in college and get hurt before you graduate, you still aren't a "graduate" until you finish the required coursework.

And where in basic training are you in a position to ever get "blowed up out of a tower"?
when they were in the movie theater watching "Stripes"

Old 09-27-2017, 07:20 AM

745 posts, read 479,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Man View Post
I know a guy who spent twenty years in a climate controlled building processing paperwork and entering information into a computer.
Was he on active duty? What is your point? Do you consider him a veteran or not?

I hope the building had a bathroom

Old 10-20-2017, 09:24 AM

304 posts, read 343,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
In the Marine Corps you don't rate being called a Marine until you make it through the Crucible at the very end of Boot Camp. You have to earn the title. So if you've never "earned the title" of Marine, then I don't see how you could claim to be a Marine veteran.

Obviously I don't know how the other branches work as far as basic training and officially becoming a soldier, airman, sailer, etc. That's just my perspective as far as someone claiming it while leaving during Marine Corps Boot Camp.

I was injured during boot camp, had shin splints and 3 broken bones in my foot that wouldn't heal. I was given an ESL because there was no way my lower body would have taken the stress. I don't consider myself a veteran, nor any sort of Marine because I didn't make it through. I have a 214, but I would never disgrace a Marine by claiming to be one when I didn't earn it. I respect the hell out of anyone who serves. I was able to do 12 years in Law Enforcement. Still not the same.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:33 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
I respect the hell out of anyone who serves. I was able to do 12 years in Law Enforcement.
Funny that you post this -because I feel the exact same way for law enforcement - even if it's the officer (man/woman) directing traffic at the TB Bucs' game parking area or the cross walk to get to the game.

Utmost respect -

but that's off topic a little....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues