Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:36 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times

Advertisements

I can still close my eyes and hear the scream of the F-15's Jet Fuel Starter winding up the engines on startup. Then the hustle as we get the jet's hydraulics, flight controls and other systems checked out prior to taxi. The warmth of the heat exchanger air on your hands while the jet awaits pulled chocks and the signal to taxi. Even the windup of the F-4's J-79 engines is still fresh in memory. Man, I couldn't have imagined being in any other AFSC when I was in the USAF (as much as every AFSC is needed...)

The steam rising from the ramp at Homestead AFB, FL just after a quick afternoon shower and your jet just launched...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
I love being at sea but hate working over 18 hour work days. What I miss most was the huge number of stars in the night sky, the clean fresh air (when on the weather decks), the waves glowing in the dark (during Desert Storm from sea-life), dolphins, seeing a full circle rainbow, and getting to see some major historical sites and cities. Walked the canals of Venice, entered one of the pyramids in Egypt, Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Barcelona, Cairo, Monte Carlo, Gibraltar, Athens, Rhodes, Istanbul.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
The PT which got me in the best shape of my life
The camaraderie which could only be obtained with sharing that part of my life and the things we went through with people going through the same
The travel and adventure
The proof of my hard work through awards and promotions

Old 02-02-2011, 08:47 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Another vote for camaraderie. Although I have more friends now, they are more drinking buddies that I couldn't depend on in a pinch, unlike those I served with. I really miss being around a group of guys that had my back no matter what. I remember one of our guys getting tossed in jail in Mexico one night. We made trips over the border every day to take him MRE's and water because they wouldn't feed him. I spent the night in jail earlier this year on a bogus Misdeamor charge. Only needed $200 bucks to bail me out, which I had, they wouldn't let me pay it, yet none of my so called "good friends" could be relied upon for help. I don't think you can find friends in the civilian world like those you serve with. I miss those guys.
Ah, you were at Bliss too, huh?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,495 times
i miss the duty and guys that i lived with while in the barracks at eielson a.f.b. alaska.winters were cold but you grew accustomed to them and spring was a blast. i was a security policeman while there and was out doors might near all the time. we had good cooks and great chow halls. loved the midnight chow hall runs we would do when our days off rolled around. you never think about losing touch with all your friends but i have missed a bunch of them had a lot of good times together, card games, pool tourniments, hail and farewell at the end of each month in the basement of our barracks with our squardron commander and first sgt. was always fun.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:33 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,554 times
I don't miss a thing. I was proud to be a Marine, but I'm much prouder to have been one.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:38 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
I just remembered something good from my years in CA.

Angie's Cuisine Italiano
(714) 832-3434
14425 Newport Ave
Tustin, CA 92780 33.7335 -117.827

used to give a free Thanksgiving buffet to servicemembers. They got a lot of business from MCAS Tustin and El Toro (when they were open). The meal was hella better than the one at the chow hall. I had some good meals there.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:40 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Bs13690, Your post reminded me of a place just outside Mountain Home AFB, ID. Don't want to turn this into a restaurant thread, but this BBQ place was SO well known that we would get more than our share of Navy A-6/EA-6B aircraft (and other aircraft, as well) because the aircrew wanted to eat at Scrubby's. In fact, even our regularly scheduled C-9 Medevac flight would call their crew order into Base Ops shortlly before landing time and someone from the base would bring it out!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 04-07-2011 at 10:26 AM..

Old 02-25-2011, 07:25 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Was anyone stationed with females in your battalion or company ? I was originally going to be a medic but the army recruiter talked me out of it. I do know i could of been a medic in a grunt unit. That would of sucked. I HATED field duty & sharing a room with 5 other guys or a open dorm room.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
I miss being in shape (just can not get motivated to get back in shape). Miss camaraderie and the smell of humvee's in the field.

Speaking of field, I also miss MREs, late night Air Assault missions, the smell after a gun fight and 4 day weekends for what seemed like once a month.

Forgot: I miss running circles around the Aviation Battalions during post wide runs with the General.

Last edited by Momotaro; 03-01-2011 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues