Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
WOW....thats all that needs to be said about that.....
I know, my post was ridiculous. I hope you know I wasn't being serious... I'm just trying to show that banning gays because they might bet beaten up is stupid, and if a gay person gets beaten up, it may have nothing to do with the fact that he/she is gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:17 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Like I use to tell my young troops that would make comments about the gays, Muslims, freeloaders and other people in this country of ours they didn't like. "Your wearing the wrong uniform if that's the way you feel". (I will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic), is part of what we swore too. We are here to protect the rights of all who live within our borders.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
Now that homosexuals are allowed to serve openly in the military, and according to some published surveys, they have the support of the "majority" of enlisted personnel, I think some changes should be instituted.

Since sleeping and showering with gays isn't a problem because gays "aren't sexually attracted to everyone", and "we're all just here to do a job", then why have separate sleeping quarters or showering and toilet facilities for each sex. As it's been pointed out in this thread, not every straight man is attracted to every woman he sees either. So why the separate quarters and facilities? It would save us millions to not have to keep them separate any longer!

The last year my dh was stationed on a frigate, they took on two female officers just before their 6 month deployment. The male officer's birthings had to undergo seriously extensive renovations to make room for the women. The space was cut in half, basically. 20+ male officers sharing one side, 2 females shared the other half. Why was that necessary? After all they're all there "just to do a job", right? So why did the females get special accomodations?

And the sputtering those who support DADT will make when asked that question is the reason FOR DADT.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Now that homosexuals are allowed to serve openly in the military, and according to some published surveys, they have the support of the "majority" of enlisted personnel, I think some changes should be instituted.

Since sleeping and showering with gays isn't a problem because gays "aren't sexually attracted to everyone", and "we're all just here to do a job", then why have separate sleeping quarters or showering and toilet facilities for each sex. As it's been pointed out in this thread, not every straight man is attracted to every woman he sees either. So why the separate quarters and facilities? It would save us millions to not have to keep them separate any longer!

The last year my dh was stationed on a frigate, they took on two female officers just before their 6 month deployment. The male officer's berthings had to undergo seriously extensive renovations to make room for the women. The space was cut in half, basically. 20+ male officers sharing one side, 2 females shared the other half. Why was that necessary? After all they're all there "just to do a job", right? So why did the females get special accommodations?

And the sputtering those who support DADT will make when asked that question is the reason FOR DADT.
Although I feel that your right about the separation status and special accommodation made for just a few females. We are still about 20 ta 30 years behind the countries that have no separations in the ranks. IE Russia.
It's not a situation of, "Living and working in a MANS world" but living and working in the Military world that should count.
If they have to set up a hasty decontamination station for chemical warfare, they don't have the time to make it a male or female show at the final stage of the de-con. Everyone shows together and they better get over it. If a fella or lady hasn't seen the other sex naked by this time of their lives, they're in trouble. As soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen we're all suppose to be PROFESSIONALS.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:33 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,398 times
Default True...But

Quote:
I understand your story and agree 100%. BUT! There is no way that I could use the same shower facilities as a female. There is no way that will ever fly, though I understand your point.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I understand your story and agree 100%. BUT! There is no way that I could use the same shower facilities as a female. There is no way that will ever fly, though I understand your point.
You'd be surprised at how use to it you would get in no time flat. People in the nudist communities have be use to it for years, with no recourse or problems. I've been on several nude beaches in Spain and Hawaii and the beach shower houses were by-sex and even as a your troop I found how easy it was.

I just pity the ladies that do have to sleep with a bunch of snoring, farting, belching men in close proximity to them and they're not even married to them.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:19 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post

I just pity the ladies that do have to sleep with a bunch of snoring, farting, belching men in close proximity to them and they're not even married to them.
Gee...I have always wondered...Does my wife fart?...I guess now I know.....Woman must not do that....or belch....or or snore..

Old 01-01-2011, 02:21 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Quote:

The last year my dh was stationed on a frigate, they took on two female officers just before their 6 month deployment. The male officer's birthings had to undergo seriously extensive renovations to make room for the women. The space was cut in half, basically. 20+ male officers sharing one side, 2 females shared the other half. Why was that necessary? After all they're all there "just to do a job", right? So why did the females get special accomodations?

I believe that DADT will FINALLY correct many of the things the military should've taken care a LONG time ago. Private housing for singles that's of the same standard that marrieds get. Sharing sleeping/bathroom facilities just because you're single jsut wasn't right. And the barracks inspections and other hassles singles endure that marrieds don't should go away, as well. Granted, shipboard/training/contingency operations make much of this impossible. But ships should evntually should be modified to make living spaces as private as possible. Or at least segregated fairly.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I believe that DADT will FINALLY correct many of the things the military should've taken care a LONG time ago. Private housing for singles that's of the same standard that marrieds get. Sharing sleeping/bathroom facilities just because you're single jsut wasn't right. And the barracks inspections and other hassles singles endure that marrieds don't should go away, as well. Granted, shipboard/training/contingency operations make much of this impossible. But ships should evntually should be modified to make living spaces as private as possible. Or at least segregated fairly.
The problem with adding more private living spaces on a ship (other than space concerns) is the filth factor. Put 20 people in a room and force them to sweep and clean it twice a day and it is smelly, but livable. Give those 20 guys (or girls) each separate living spaces and while some will be clean, the ones that aren't will cause some truly disgusting issues.

Threats, incentives, punishments, mass discipline, etc - all these work on SOME people, but SHAME and PAIN are the only two methods that will keep the majority in line.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Gee...I have always wondered...Does my wife fart?...I guess now I know.....Woman must not do that....or belch....or or snore..
Some of us are STILL gentlemen and some others will always be heathens and punks ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues