U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 AM

14,966 posts, read 5,189,827 times
This is where I posted my resume....

Yes these are in alabama (some), but you get my point....

Alabamajoblink.com
clearancejobs.com
256jobs.com
federaljobsearch.com
usajobs.com
jsfirm.com (very good website, they break down your resume to what your job is)
Corporategrey.com
monster.com

I also had an on-line service that I used to get my resume started, best $75 I have paid. She really worked with me, even on-line she would write back and give me a yes or no....

Here is also what I recieved during my ACAP appointments at the resume class....

All headings and header, bold, 12 font
after that all use 11 font

Your resume should be in this order....(I said should)
Header
Objective (include security clearance if you have one here)
Work History
Education/training
Summary of qualilfication

Also rememeber, if you center your heading the rest of your headers below should be centered, and if they are aligned to the left, then align everything to the left...

You should have a cover letter also, straight to the point...tell them what you are going to do for their company. Also your heading should be the same on the cover letter as the resume...

Heading
Introductory
closing
conclusion

You cannot have 1 resume for everything either....I would taylor my resume to the job that I was going for, when i was done I had a total of 10ish resumes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 06:32 AM

6,108 posts, read 2,597,699 times
I hire IT workers - that's my field. Some advice. Don't care if resume is only one page or not as long as I can skim it quickly, because quite frankly, that's all I'm doing. Plus, I ask for everything electronically anyway; I avoid paper at all costs these days. I get really annoyed at those crazy fonts, graphics, and funky formats. Now, onto the meat of the issue.

Yes, security clearance right up top - that says trustworthy.

Objective part is never read, just a one liner is fine here.

For IT positions, next list skills and list every loving software, system, certification you have (e.g. Java, Javascript, SQL Server 2000/2005/2008, A+ certification, UNIX, VMWare, etc, etc). Comma delimited list.
This is where I spend most of my time on a resume Tells me right away if they've got the goods or not.

Next experience - flesh out the parts that actually matter for that job. For the jobs that don't, quick one or two liners suffice.

Finally, the last thing I look at is the education/school. That's also a quick glance because if they have already gotten my interest from the rest, I'll interview them even if they went to Wossamotta U.

Your email/cover letter is where you tailor to the job and in listing your skills, make sure you put the ones specifically mentioned for that job right up front. Don't worry about alpha order or anything.

Oh and when you do get the interview, spend some time learning about the company and what they do. Just makes the conversation easier and makes the prospective employer think you're actually interested in THAT job and not just any job.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I hire IT workers - that's my field. Some advice. Don't care if resume is only one page or not as long as I can skim it quickly, because quite frankly, that's all I'm doing. Plus, I ask for everything electronically anyway; I avoid paper at all costs these days. I get really annoyed at those crazy fonts, graphics, and funky formats. Now, onto the meat of the issue.

Yes, security clearance right up top - that says trustworthy.

Objective part is never read, just a one liner is fine here.

For IT positions, next list skills and list every loving software, system, certification you have (e.g. Java, Javascript, SQL Server 2000/2005/2008, A+ certification, UNIX, VMWare, etc, etc). Comma delimited list.
This is where I spend most of my time on a resume Tells me right away if they've got the goods or not.

Next experience - flesh out the parts that actually matter for that job. For the jobs that don't, quick one or two liners suffice.

Finally, the last thing I look at is the education/school. That's also a quick glance because if they have already gotten my interest from the rest, I'll interview them even if they went to Wossamotta U.

Your email/cover letter is where you tailor to the job and in listing your skills, make sure you put the ones specifically mentioned for that job right up front. Don't worry about alpha order or anything.

Oh and when you do get the interview, spend some time learning about the company and what they do. Just makes the conversation easier and makes the prospective employer think you're actually interested in THAT job and not just any job.
Good advice...

Yep, I forgot about scoping out the company before you go for an interview....have to do that....take a look at what clothes they are wearing....as people walk in and out...then dress like them when you go for your interview...

Just remember, multiple verisions of your resume....paper or not, it's always good to have a paper resume...and in digits still have multiple verisons...

When I went to my interview, I had paper copies in a resume envelope. I handed each of my interviewers a copy when I sat down...It may have made a difference or not....I know I was hired...

When an employer is going through resumes, the average is 30 seconds....per resume...that is where they are weeded out and then another look...and a longer look...

Everyone is different...for what they look for in a resume...

Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 AM

6,108 posts, read 2,597,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Good advice...

Yep, I forgot about scoping out the company before you go for an interview....have to do that....take a look at what clothes they are wearing....as people walk in and out...then dress like them when you go for your interview...

Just remember, multiple verisions of your resume....paper or not, it's always good to have a paper resume...and in digits still have multiple verisons...

When I went to my interview, I had paper copies in a resume envelope. I handed each of my interviewers a copy when I sat down...It may have made a difference or not....I know I was hired...

When an employer is going through resumes, the average is 30 seconds....per resume...that is where they are weeded out and then another look...and a longer look...

Everyone is different...for what they look for in a resume...
Actually do concur with you on having that paper resume to hand to the person during the interview. When people have done that, I rarely look at it, but it does leave a good impression, know what I mean? I can only really speak to IT positions since that's what I do and OP seems to be a good fit for many IT positions.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Actually do concur with you on having that paper resume to hand to the person during the interview. When people have done that, I rarely look at it, but it does leave a good impression, know what I mean? I can only really speak to IT positions since that's what I do and OP seems to be a good fit for many IT positions.

It's all about putting out information, and being able to piece it out for what you need...the more information out there...the better...

Old 01-01-2011, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 6,740 times
Thanks for the advice... I've shot my resume out to a few of my buddies in my community and am awaiting their feedback. Having only 3 months left in the military and basically coming back from a deployment at the same time without a solid job offer in making me antsy, but hey things always seem to work out for me.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM

3,842 posts, read 6,466,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbowman View Post
Does anyone have any practical advice on how to make a successful transition back to civilian life.
Start talking to recruiters.
Honestly, the recruiting system is a sham, but it will get the ball rolling for you in re: to interviewing again and so on.
My dh transitioned out right after a deployment & had wife, kid, bills.
It was a far cry from a dream job, but it was a job.
Once he got that job, he had the confidence & ability to start looking for what he really wanted to do/live/make.
The recruiters will be able to give you a list of employers & what they are looking for; this will give you a birds eye view of the current civilian workforce.
Good luck.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM

8,835 posts, read 10,284,159 times
Have you contacted the Veteren's Administration? They can assist you with translating military experience to civilian sector on resumes and such. You also might be entitled to the post 9-11 GI Bill depending on your eligibility. They can assist you with finding out how to possibly transfer some of your military training into college credit. Contact a VA rep in your local area to find out what sort of benefits and assistance you qualify for as a veteren. For starters you have hiring preference for Federal jobs.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM

19,402 posts, read 10,219,124 times
I lot of posts on how to's etc.
Here is my 2 cents.
Get ready for a real culture shock.
In the civilian world you are a number. A number that can and will be replaced at will.
Mutual respect is a term that is discussed but seldom followed.
Performance and execution of your job is a factor but less a factor than ones popularity. In other words azzkissers move up the ladder faster than performers.
There is no real brotherhood no sense of someone having your back. You are alone......
Back stabbing is the absolute norm and to be expected.
I paint a dark picture but a realistic one. You can and will succeed because the military has prepared you well to succeed. But always remember the rules have changed.
I work in a factory and make excellent pay for what I do. I am in fact considered among the best at what I do. LOL I also have been held back because I refuse to join the back stabbing and the bash clicks.
Ironically back stabbers don't trust anyone who don't back stab also.
Watch your six because no one else will. The exception being fellow prior service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues