U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 12:30 AM

3,633 posts, read 4,254,106 times

Advertisements

this question only occurred to me recently, and since my parents and others I knew in their generation have passed away I don't have anyone to ask:

did you guys' parents, or parents of others who served in Vietnam, ever express an opinion on their tax dollars going to fund Student Financial Aid programs to keep individuals out of the military?

as you know, in the Vietnam era (and before), military service wasn't optional; I'm not referring to those who legitimately wanted a college education, I'm referring to those who went to college on these government-funded (meaning: taxpayer-funded) programs solely to avoid being drafted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 03:09 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,040,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
this question only occurred to me recently, and since my parents and others I knew in their generation have passed away I don't have anyone to ask:

did you guys' parents, or parents of others who served in Vietnam, ever express an opinion on their tax dollars going to fund Student Financial Aid programs to keep individuals out of the military?

as you know, in the Vietnam era (and before), military service wasn't optional; I'm not referring to those who legitimately wanted a college education, I'm referring to those who went to college on these government-funded (meaning: taxpayer-funded) programs solely to avoid being drafted.

No. But, I'm not even sure the government was involved in studen financial aid back then. Maybe they were and I can't remember.

Dad was a WWII vet and he didn't have much use for draft dodgers.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:04 AM

5,167 posts, read 10,485,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I'm not referring to those who legitimately wanted a college education, I'm referring to those who went to college on these government-funded (meaning: taxpayer-funded) programs solely to avoid being drafted.
How would you know who wanted an education or who wanted to stay out of the draft ???

Unless you have a surefire way to determine that, I would not even bother with it.

BTW, I am a Vietnam veteran.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:31 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,574,957 times
I am a veteran of the USN Riverine Forces 1996-1997. I volunteered for 'Nam for many foolish reasons and the River Boats for even more. After a very interesting year I went back to the World and was treated like s**t. The obnoxious I ignored, the threatening I clobbered. I didn't care if people avoided the draft and 'Nam. Consider my mental state I thought not going there was a very good idea. After I learned we were just trying to restore the French empire I realized I was fighting on the wrong side. I have never gotten over that betrayal. I have found out that the memories of war do not ever go away.

Since then I have seen our country involved in a series of colonial wars to protect the petroleum industry’s propensity to steal what it did not own. IMHO we should have stayed home and let the natives abuse each other to their heart’s content. We need to learn that some things are not our fight.

I have also seen countless zillions of dollars wasted in war that should have been used to maintain our own country. IMHO safe bridges are a higher priority than protecting the poppy fields of Afghanistan or some sleaze ball’s “right” to build a pipeline to ship oil to China.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:35 AM

2,834 posts, read 4,026,162 times
Tia, I also am a Vietnam Veteran, I served with the 9th Infantry Division from 68-70. It doesn't bother me that there were those who refused to serve, it's their choice. Most who served in Vietnam were not draftees, maybe 30% of all who served in Vietnam were drafted. What really bothered me was the citizens of the United States decided to take out their fustrations with the VN war on those who served, that is a blight that will not be removed from our history until the last Vietnam Veteran dies.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,158,474 times
I was in Vietnam in 1963 and 1966-67 I can honestly say I never cared. I was born a soldier and didn't really want whiners screwing things up for me. People whine about Bush and Cheyney not going just like they did about Clinton, I can't imagine being in a position where my life dependeed on any of them. As far as I am concerned the US should have used the system the Germans had where volunteers were paid much more than conscripts and the War in Vietnam should have been fought with only volunteer units.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:09 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,833,296 times
i am admittedly not particularly proud of the vietnam war, but i am extremely proud of the vietnam vets that i have known over the years, and i am proud of the fact that most of them that i know were just trying to make the best of a bad situation and finish their deployments with honor.

the examples of the vets that i have known throughout my life are a large portion of my decision to join the marine corps infantry. it was ironic then that i am also not particularly proud of the iraq war, but i worked to make the best of a bad situation, to come home with honor, and to help the iraqi people as much as possible.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:07 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,155,570 times
People have been avoiding military service for a long time. During the Civil War, the first national conscription, 6% of the Union soldiers were paid substitutes. I served in the Vietnam Era, but never went to SE Asia. However, I don't know anybody who would want to fight alongside a potential draft dodger anyway. Leave them at home and let the heros serve proudly!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,670,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Tia, I also am a Vietnam Veteran, I served with the 9th Infantry Division from 68-70. It doesn't bother me that there were those who refused to serve, it's their choice. Most who served in Vietnam were not draftees, maybe 30% of all who served in Vietnam were drafted. What really bothered me was the citizens of the United States decided to take out their fustrations with the VN war on those who served, that is a blight that will not be removed from our history until the last Vietnam Veteran dies.
I agree completely, Once we're all gone, the scar will finally be healed. There are things that won't appear in history texts.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,158,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I don't know about where you grew up but in North Philadelphia the good employers wouldn't hire you until you had completed your military obligation. That meant you could sit and wait for the draft, enlist or push up your draft date. Those who volunteered by pushing up their draft still counted as conscripts. I myself enlisted and shipped a few weeks after my 17th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues