U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 PM
(-) (-) started this thread

690 posts, read 1,585,022 times

Advertisements

what i find "troubling" is the fact that a person can come into this country illegally, go directly to a recruiters office, and join the military before a person who has a misdemeanor or minor felony on their record. keeping things in perspective, which is worse? someone who entered a country illegally or a kid that stole a pair of shoes when he was 17/18? not to turn this into a debate about illegal immigration but i think that some things are just flawed in our current system. i know of two young guys who both have college degrees, who turned their lives around, that WANT to serve their country but recruiters won't even talk them due to a theft charge from when they were 18. yet i know for a fact that when i served in the military (not that long ago mind you) i knew for a fact that a good percentage of my company weren't even legal american citizens. they joined the military to gain citizenship!

Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM

30,612 posts, read 16,907,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
what i find "troubling" is the fact that a person can come into this country illegally, go directly to a recruiters office, and join the military before a person who has a misdemeanor or minor felony on their record. keeping things in perspective, which is worse? someone who entered a country illegally or a kid that stole a pair of shoes when he was 17/18? not to turn this into a debate about illegal immigration but i think that some things are just flawed in our current system. i know of two young guys who both have college degrees, who turned their lives around, that WANT to serve their country but recruiters won't even talk them due to a theft charge from when they were 18. yet i know for a fact that when i served in the military (not that long ago mind you) i knew for a fact that a good percentage of my company weren't even legal american citizens. they joined the military to gain citizenship!
I think you are getting it mixed up, those in your unit are not illegal, they have a green card saying that they can be in the U.S.A, they join the Army and then become a citizen....

Of course I could be wrong.....But I don't think illegal's can join....

Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,217,495 times
To my knowledge you can't join the military unless you are a legal alien and have a green card.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:01 PM

3,176 posts, read 9,186,711 times
Quote:
First of all, you have no idea what you are talking about. You can NOT join any branch of the military as an illegal immigrant. Where on God's Green Earth did you get that information?

You do not have to be a citizen, but you MUST be a LEGAL resident with a greencard, and it is verified as valid through the INS. You can not be on a work visa or student visa, but you must be a fully vetted and legal permanent resident. Permanent residents who are males between the ages of 18 and 26 MUST REGISTER FOR THE DRAFT (now called national call to service), have the right to vote, and many other things.

If they can be drafted, surely they can join the military...

You might not agree with them being able to join if they are not citizens, but MANY MANY countries allow non-citizens to join. You can join the militaries of many other countries if you meet their requirements.

As such, LEGAL residents have not broken ANY laws... if they had, they have had trouble getting approved for legal permanent resident status.

If you stole a pair of shoes, it is not about the shoes, it is about the fact that you don't abide by societal norms, can't follow rules/laws, were already old enough to know better, have bad judgment, ect. Why should we take you over people who have never stolen anything in their lives? It is like any employer, they will hire who is most qualified. If we have a shortage of people joining, we'll start taking people with theft charges again, but as long as there are enough qualified people you are S.O.L.

Sorry if it is harsh, but your actions have consequences.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS CAN NOT JOIN. You do not have to be a citizen to join. You must be a LEGAL Permanent resident.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,854,689 times
As Balad1 and DMarie123 point out; U.S. citizens and "Resident Aliens" (which means you have a "Green Card" and the legal right to work in the U.S.A) may join the U.S. military. However, there are certain jobs in the military that only U.S. citizens may hold. (mostly jobs involving classified information or becoming a commissioned officer) Illegal aliens CANNOT join the U.S. armed forces.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:29 PM

20,311 posts, read 18,854,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
As Balad1 and DMarie123 point out; U.S. citizens and "Resident Aliens" (which means you have a "Green Card" and the legal right to work in the U.S.A) may join the U.S. military. However, there are certain jobs in the military that only U.S. citizens may hold. (mostly jobs involving classified information or becoming a commissioned officer) Illegal aliens CANNOT join the U.S. armed forces.
Its happened when the illegals have used fraudulent documents to enter. When caught they are discharged which leads to the usual pitty party by the press.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:34 PM
(-) (-) started this thread

690 posts, read 1,585,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Its happened when the illegals have used fraudulent documents to enter. When caught they are discharged which leads to the usual pitty party by the press.
didn't think i had to be this obvious but thanks for this. i'm trying to explain what i've seen as an enlisted member with my own two eyes not hearsay. not sure what these folks, who've probably never served a day of their lives, are talking about. i guess it's good to throw stones from one's moral high horse.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:23 PM

24,080 posts, read 38,745,073 times
Quote:
i'm trying to explain what i've seen as an enlisted member with my own two eyes not hearsay.
You can identify illegal immigrants with your own two eyes?

You have personally examined their immigration and legal documention and can determined they ae illegal immigrants?

Quote:
not sure what these folks, who've probably never served a day of their lives, are talking about.
I believe everone in this thread have served in the U.S Military. There may have been a few who served longer than you have been alive...

Quote:
i guess it's good to throw stones from one's moral high horse.
I think you are sadly mistaken...

Old 01-04-2011, 04:53 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,217,495 times
I agree that it's unlikely that illegals are joining the military; now maybe US born children of illegals.

Between INS checks on green card holders and ETNAC(sp) and/or NAC secruity checks on all enlistees it would be difficult.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:14 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,554,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
i know of at least one case where they were allowed to stay in

Gunny gets one year for false enlistments - Marine Corps Community for USMC Marine Veterans

village voice > news > Marines: Looking for a Few Good Aliens? by Douglas Gillison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues