U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,593 times

Advertisements

All I can say is I am all for Veterans receiving their Disability Benefits/Retirement or other benefits. I understand that they earned that privilge but it is sad to know that some service members are abusing those benefits. I was married for 9 years and have one son out of that marriage. I do not receive any Child Support for my son once he medically retired out of the military. He goes full time to school and gets his GI Bill and then gets SSA and his portion from the VA for being 100% disabled. He is doing well and trust me he shows it with new cars, clothes and being flashy. So you tell me that this is fair to my son that he is $36000 behind in Childsupport but has money to get remarried 4 times after me, buy 5 different cars and live well. All I want is just a small amount to help with clothes, food and school items once a year. Everyone keep giving us ex wife the spill that we deserve nothing but when I loose my job I have to still provide for my son no matter what but when my ex got out on medical retirement he just said SORRY NO income for the child so you have to provide. I do not agree with that since I did not have the child by myself. Not all mothers are out her to get money, I am just saddened that my time with him as a military spouse dealing with deployments and putting my career on hold for him due to moving to different places and etc. nobody considers that. Once you become a EX wife you just become trash and is entitled to anything. You all can not tell me that paying just $100.00 a month for a 12 year old son is too much to ask for. So please be mindful that not everyone who receives benefits from the VA truly uses it as he should. I am 100% sure that he gets something for my son and yes I could go after it but I gave up and will just leave everything in gods hand to provide for us. I just posted this to make people aware that not all Veterans are truthfully deserving of their benefits. Especially when they are DEAD BEAT FATHERS and only running around there making more kids but not taking responsiblity for them.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:34 PM

5,537 posts, read 11,996,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanlady View Post
All I can say is I am all for Veterans receiving their Disability Benefits/Retirement or other benefits. I understand that they earned that privilge but it is sad to know that some service members are abusing those benefits. I was married for 9 years and have one son out of that marriage. I do not receive any Child Support for my son once he medically retired out of the military. He goes full time to school and gets his GI Bill and then gets SSA and his portion from the VA for being 100% disabled. He is doing well and trust me he shows it with new cars, clothes and being flashy. So you tell me that this is fair to my son that he is $36000 behind in Childsupport but has money to get remarried 4 times after me, buy 5 different cars and live well. All I want is just a small amount to help with clothes, food and school items once a year. Everyone keep giving us ex wife the spill that we deserve nothing but when I loose my job I have to still provide for my son no matter what but when my ex got out on medical retirement he just said SORRY NO income for the child so you have to provide. I do not agree with that since I did not have the child by myself. Not all mothers are out her to get money, I am just saddened that my time with him as a military spouse dealing with deployments and putting my career on hold for him due to moving to different places and etc. nobody considers that. Once you become a EX wife you just become trash and is entitled to anything. You all can not tell me that paying just $100.00 a month for a 12 year old son is too much to ask for. So please be mindful that not everyone who receives benefits from the VA truly uses it as he should. I am 100% sure that he gets something for my son and yes I could go after it but I gave up and will just leave everything in gods hand to provide for us. I just posted this to make people aware that not all Veterans are truthfully deserving of their benefits. Especially when they are DEAD BEAT FATHERS and only running around there making more kids but not taking responsiblity for them.
And there are those who are collecting 100% disability from the VA that "claim" PTSD and know how to work the system. This same person who spent time in Vietnam driving a supply truck and wasn't near the fighting told another buddy who has back problems he should file with the VA.

AFA paying towards Child Support the VA will only pay directly to the veteran. You should file with your state or county for back support.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:06 PM

4,302 posts, read 3,196,784 times
Quote:
wouldn't some portion of the medical retirement pay be able to be attached for child support. It isn't the same as va disability.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,593 times
I honestly don't know but thanks for both of your replies. I decided to just let go at this point. My father is retired military and so are several of my other family members. They all end up advising me to just let it go and let the court system or IRS catch up with him. Wish I could post something more helpful but I found other ways to make up for my ex slacking. I got myself a second job :-)

Old 02-02-2016, 11:43 AM

2,712 posts, read 3,696,316 times
Quote:
I honestly don't know but thanks for both of your replies. I decided to just let go at this point. My father is retired military and so are several of my other family members. They all end up advising me to just let it go and let the court system or IRS catch up with him. Wish I could post something more helpful but I found other ways to make up for my ex slacking. I got myself a second job :-)
Can the VA garnish your ex husbands pay? Yes and No, it all depends on him. If he is retired from the service and waived a portion of his retirement in order to collect VA disability that portion of the VA benefit received in lieu of retired/retainer pay is subject to garnishment. This is the yes part.

The no part, if your ex is only collecting VA disability then it is not subject to garnishment.

You can always go to your state's CSE (Child Support Enforcement) and have them go after your ex, but you'll have to show the judgement showing you are entitled to child support. It doesn't matter if he live out of state, they can still go after him. If he works then all of his federal and state income tax refunds can be garnished.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 3,320 times
I was divorced and getting pay for a dependent. As long as the dependent is under 18. My ex-knew it, but I did spend money on my son every month, and it was far more than the extra pay that I was getting for having a dependent. It's not illegal, and you cannot garnish VA disability pay for collecting child support.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 857 times
I lost custody of my children, I receive retirement and disability compensation. I pay child support. I receive additional disability compensation for my children.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 442 times
My ex is receiving 70% of disabled veteran. We were together for 13 years never married but has two children. Do my children get any kind of benefits???

Old 05-18-2016, 05:29 AM

12,351 posts, read 22,266,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Don't let his lack of intergrity cause you a moral dilemma; it's not up to you to report him and put you and the kids in a bad position.

The bottomline is tell him that you are going to get a fair amount for the kids one way or another and if it goes to court the cat will be out of the bag. That way you don't have to threaten to report him to the VA. Believe me he'll fold before it goes too far.
^^^This! You are in the catbird seat. If he doesn't agree to do what's right for the kids, it will go to court and his fraud will be exposed.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:23 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,148,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejvoo View Post
My ex is receiving 70% of disabled veteran. We were together for 13 years never married but has two children. Do my children get any kind of benefits???
Don't take second hand info. Start here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues