U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 07:08 PM

12 posts, read 26,496 times

Advertisements

What are the requirements for security jobs in the usaf? A 28 year old police officer with a 2 year degree in criminal justice and 4 years of active duty in the army would be able to join?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 11:04 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,572,357 times
your qualifiers, or disqualifiers for that matter., are based on the bad you've done, not the good. Meaning bad credit, criminal record, and that sort of thing. prior service-other service tends to make it harder to join the AF. Don't let it deter you, make a recruiter work you. It' more paperwork but is far from impossible. I know a prior-service Marine who everyone said he had a snow balls chance in hell of crossing over and he was persistence and he did it. No offense to DMarie (it's the same for us [Marines]), but most recruiters won't want to work you, but that's your biggest hurdle. You just passed the age requirement of 27 but I believe with your prior service your adjusted age is 24.

In summary if you are persistent and don't have any disqualifying factors you should be straight.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 AM

3,189 posts, read 9,236,305 times
If you can get the bachelor's before turning 34, with a high enough GPA, you can compete for an officer position. Being Prior Service doesn't affect coming in as an officer as it does for coming back enlisted.

Mac- I love the way you explained that... based on the bad, not the good. I've never thought of it that way but it is totally true.

Do you have any health issues, law violations, what is your RE Code?

Right now, our PS program for the FY is almost totally full. If you wait until next October there might be more slots, they go fast... We were taking PS for Security Force but now only for direct duty.

Direct duty means there has to be an AFSC (our version of MOS or Rate) opening for the training you already have, and for the TIS you have. So we might have a slot for a prior MP/Security Forces to come back in if they served 4 years or if they served 6 years, but not if they served 5 (just an example). However, if you were infantry, you couldn't join, because that MOS doesn't convert into an AF AFSC at all.

You'd have to talk to a recruiter- this is way to complicated a question to answer.

However, come 1 Oct 2011, they may have 30 retraining slots for security forces... we did this October... but as I said... you are too late for this year. They go fast.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 AM

3,189 posts, read 9,236,305 times
Oh yeah Macjr82- I tried my hand at working PS this year... I must have started 10 applications and they all flaked on me.

If you are coming in PS and have to crosstrain, you must retake the ASVAB. That was a deterent to many who have forgotten all the math they learned in high school. Then YOU (not the recruiter, you) have to get ahold of all your own military records. We need DD214, prior evaluations (EPRs for AF, dunno what other branches call them), you have to redo fresh security clearance paperwork, go through MEPS, ect.

No one stuck through the whole process. For one guy, he couldn't pass the ASVAB (50 is passing for us). Another couldn't get his prior yearly evaluations because he was out of the service and had no access. I kept telling him to fill out and send in a SF 180, but just too much trouble I guess. Another flaked cuz the process took too long and he wanted instant gratification. Many are older, and thus have a harder time meeting weight standards. Many need waivers as life has changed their circumstances. One applicant was guard and his Commander wouldn't sign the 368 release. Ect Ect.

Now I know why most recruiters don't both. I must have wasted 30-40 hours meeting and instructing those knuckleheads.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,889,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post

In summary if you are persistent and don't have any disqualifying factors you should be straight.
C'mon, Macjr82, the end of DADT means he doesn't even have to be straight... (Sorry, just couldn't resist!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues