Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:11 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,283 times

Advertisements

They said something about I can go to MEPS now, and cancel in April if I really wanted to, do you know anything about that?

I'm not really involved with the community, my only letters of recommendations would be teachers. I guess if I talk to the Air Force recruiter they'll have a better idea, but the Army guy didn't raise my hopes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
And I would not wait. If you want to go to the Air Force, you should go. Its going to take a while to enter.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
There are only so many OTS slots available. It's too bad you didn't go ROTC through college, that helps. In order to get promoted from Captain to Major in the Air Force, you have to have a masters degree. It's doable as many Air Force bases have Embry Riddle classrooms, and possibly now you can do much of it online. Makes much more sense to enter as an officer if you can swing it.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
It's too bad you didn't go ROTC through college, that helps. .
So true. That would have been the best way to do it.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 AM

My SIL is a major and does not have her masters degree.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
My SIL is a major and does not have her masters degree.
Perhaps it's promotion to LtCol then. My husband had his done for his Major's board.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
They said something about I can go to MEPS now, and cancel in April if I really wanted to, do you know anything about that?

I'm not really involved with the community, my only letters of recommendations would be teachers. I guess if I talk to the Air Force recruiter they'll have a better idea, but the Army guy didn't raise my hopes up.
Legally you can cancel until the day you ship...but mark my words it will not be easy. Especially when you go to talk to the Air Force and they tell you to get the heck out of their office. It is ILLEGAL for us to talk to an applicant in another branch's DEP... and you will be in their DEP. And you will run into recruiters of other branches wanting nothing to do with you, you belong to the Navy after you go to MEPS. If you cancel on the Navy, you will cancel on the other branches too (that is our mindset) and we will not want to touch you with a 10 foot poll due to your lack of commitment and loyalty.

The Navy will be on you like crazy people. They figure if they can get you through MEPS, no other branch will want to talk to you, and you have to go back through MEPS to join with another branch, and no one like MEPS. They figure they can get you emotionally hooked, and realize that it is easier to just stay with them... and they are betting they can get you to stay.

But it is true... you can absolutely cancel.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Well they tried to get me to go take the ASVAB/physical next week, and I don't recall signing a contract stipulating that I'll have a certain job.
You have not signed anything yet....

When you are done with the ASVAB, and done with the medical exam, BEFORE you walk out the door of MEPS, if there is a job available, they will be handing you a contract and expecting you to take the Oath of Enlistment.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Speaking of OTS slots-

Got this email yesterday-

Quote:
Fellow Airmen,

Secretary Donley and I recognize and appreciate the tremendous sacrifices asked of you and your family, and we are proud of your exceptional contributions to our nation in a time of war.

As you may recall, last March, the Secretary and I announced a Force Management Plan intended to size and shape the officer and enlisted force to align the Air Force within our congressionally authorized personnel ceiling.

Through the Force Management actions we took last year, we met our enlisted goal in FY10; however, we remain approximately 2,300 officers above our authorized ceiling.

Our Air Force is now at a 16-year high in retention at a time when we already exceed authorized personnel strength levels. It is for this reason that the Secretary and I made the difficult, but fiscally responsible, decision to continue Force Management measures. This will not be easy, and we do not take this decision lightly.

First, in an effort to minimize the impact to our current force, we will reduce active duty accessions as much as prudent. In addition to the previously announced voluntary programs, we will also implement involuntary programs to include enlisted date of separation rollbacks, officer retention boards, and reduced officer promotion opportunities. Our over strength situation is such that offers of selective continuation for twice deferred officers may be limited. More information on this multi-tiered Force Management Plan is available on the Air Force Personnel Center website and will be communicated by your base-level Force Support Squadrons in the near future.

This is a difficult time. The results of last year’s reductions are no doubt affecting units and lives across our Air Force family. With a very talented, all-volunteer force answering our nation's call in a variety of global commitments, it is not easy to select Airmen for early transition from the active duty force.

For those of you choosing or selected to transition from active duty, I sincerely thank you for your service and encourage you to stay with our Air Force family through our Guard and Reserve programs. Leaders at all levels are committed to assisting you through transition to the next phase of your careers, and our Airman and Family Readiness Centers are standing by with valuable resources to support your transition.

As I stated last March, the Secretary and I have carefully considered all options and their impacts. In the end, we arrived at the conclusion that these additional force management measures are necessary for the Air Force to reduce personnel strength to authorized levels over the next two years. In short, we seek to do the difficult now in order to put this dilemma behind us, returning to more predictable career paths for all Airmen.

NORTON A. SCHWARTZ
General, USAF
Chief of Staff

Old 02-03-2011, 11:04 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Legally you can cancel until the day you ship...but mark my words it will not be easy. Especially when you go to talk to the Air Force and they tell you to get the heck out of their office. It is ILLEGAL for us to talk to an applicant in another branch's DEP... and you will be in their DEP. And you will run into recruiters of other branches wanting nothing to do with you, you belong to the Navy after you go to MEPS. If you cancel on the Navy, you will cancel on the other branches too (that is our mindset) and we will not want to touch you with a 10 foot poll due to your lack of commitment and loyalty.

The Navy will be on you like crazy people. They figure if they can get you through MEPS, no other branch will want to talk to you, and you have to go back through MEPS to join with another branch, and no one like MEPS. They figure they can get you emotionally hooked, and realize that it is easier to just stay with them... and they are betting they can get you to stay.

But it is true... you can absolutely cancel.
Cool, sounds like the Navy guys were telling the truth about cancelling, though I was right that committing now would screw my chances with the other branches, and the Navy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues